Author Topic: WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10  (Read 20598 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
Well SO far Zero Problems with Win 10 and WeatherLink 6.0.3 with an Upgrade installation of Win 10 from Win 7.
The reason for this post is just in case anyone was wondering if there would be any issues and it was safe to proceed.

Randall
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:50:33 PM by kaymann »

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »
Thanks for posting.   8-)

Part of the reason I stopped in the forum tonight was to see if any brave souls had their weather software working with Win 10 yet.  I have both a Lenovo laptop and my Acer Aspire weather computer telling me it has downloaded and ready whenever I am.   :lol:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »
Using Windows 10 from 7 and 6.03 and no issues either. The upgrade to 10 was great--seamless and no issues.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:16:50 AM »
I have to say it was pretty amazing to find no issues none - how often does that happen?

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
With Windows 10 downloading updates automatically, and you having no control over that, have you had the computer restart at inappropriate times?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
With Windows 10 downloading updates automatically, and you having no control over that, have you had the computer restart at inappropriate times?

Are you saying you can't turn off updates on windows 10. That would be a key factor for me. I can't have computers rebooting especially since I remotely control several. I want run time dependability not annoying daily updates.
Randy

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »

Are you saying you can't turn off updates on windows 10. That would be a key factor for me. I can't have computers rebooting especially since I remotely control several. I want run time dependability not annoying daily updates.

At least on the home versions of W10, you can't turn off or delay updates. However, my experience with the Technical Preview and the release version is that (at least) updates requiring a reboot are not applied unless/until you either explicitly tell the system to 'Apply updates and Restart' or to shut down, when they are applied during the shutdown  and subsequent boot up.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
Ryan,

I could be wrong but I believe 10 gives you a couple of warnings first and then does it for you...
In case you are curious WU has been moved to CP>ALL>Security and Maintenance>Automatic Maintenance
I have several test comps at work and no unasked for restarts yet, but with Pro you can shut off updates (haven't yet).

The bottom line none yet still waiting for that infamous day though...

BTW in 2015 I had at least three unwanted Update restarts with Win 7 (I guess MS was flexing their muscle).

Randall

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »
BTW, I am installing two test computers with 10 Home to get to the bottom of this question.
My 10 Pro just did a set of updates but did not auto restart...

Randall

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »
If you want complete control over updates, go to Linux.

With any version of Windows you will at some point have to restart to apply updates. Microsoft is forcing updates to try to keep everybody on the same code base and thus most compatible with the latest features that they roll out, when they roll them out.

But here is an article on the updates: http://www.howtogeek.com/219166/you-won%E2%80%99t-be-able-to-disable-or-delay-windows-updates-on-windows-10-home/

Here's an interesting article on win 10 updates: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/08/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-disable-it-here/

Since we are on the topic of Windows 10, "Done With Windows 10 Upgrade? Here Are Things You Shoud Do Next"

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Randy

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
Me personally,
I have Win 10 on a Virtual Machine but I'm not going to update my main PC to it for at least several weeks.

I don't have any issue with Microsoft forcing updates but that's only if they stick to updates for existing software and not sneaking in NEW software onto my system.
Case in point: Skype

Its not that I have something against Skype. Its just that if Microsoft did this once with one program, who's to say that they won't do it again with other programs. Think about that one for awhile.

End Rant...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »
I have problems with auto updates as many others do also. These aren't just security updates they are  forcing driver updates as well from what I've read. What if you have custom drivers and Microsoft decides they want to update your video card driver, I have a tethering driver for my Samsung phone and the standard driver will kill my tethering abilities etc.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »
Can someone with Windows 10 see if this works for turning off updates.
http://www.markspcsolution.com/2014/11/disable-automatic-update-in-windows-10.html
Randy

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
Valentine I will check it out on my Win 7 Home test laptop and desktop.

BTW this thread was started not to bash or praise Win 10 as that is to each his own.
It was started to identify specific issues regarding Win 10 and WeatherLink.
Automatic updates is near and dear to any user of WL as it can kill off your session of WL.

Randall
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:24:20 PM by kaymann »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »

BTW this thread was started not to bash or praise Win 10 as that is to each his own.
Automatic updates is near and dear to any user of WL as it can kill off your session of WL.

Randall

It kills all programs is why I have the concern. I'm trying to decide today on a friends new machine with WL if I want to update his or not. He's leaving it up to me.  #-o  I'm not updating my machine until late in the year if I do. I'm leaning that way on his machine unless there is a sure way to shut the updates off.
Randy

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »

Randall

It kills all programs is why I have the concern. I'm trying to decide today on a friends new machine with WL if I want to update his or not. He's leaving it up to me.  #-o  I'm not updating my machine until late in the year if I do. I'm leaning that way on his machine unless there is a sure way to shut the updates off.

I would ere on the side of caution and wait. Maybe in a few months Microsoft will have stuck something in that will allow users to pick which updates to install (or not install) and when.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
I had Windows 10 on my office machine on Saturday just long enough to see that I'll stick with Windows 7 for now.  Not that I don't like it, but hearing some of these things makes me not want to switch over just yet.  I'll let other people UAT it before I do.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 05:11:56 PM »
"I had Windows 10 on my office machine on Saturday just long enough to see that I'll stick with Windows 7 for now."

This actually surprises me. I had "heard" that once you put Win 10 on your machine, you couldn't "roll it back". Maybe it's not all bad.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »
"I had Windows 10 on my office machine on Saturday just long enough to see that I'll stick with Windows 7 for now."

This actually surprises me. I had "heard" that once you put Win 10 on your machine, you couldn't "roll it back". Maybe it's not all bad.

I tried using my win7 key from Technet as I had heard that should work without having to upgrade.  So I did a plainjane install.

The key doesn't work, but will allow you to keep it installed on the machine for 30 days.  I messed around with it on a brand new install on my office machine so it wasn't an upgrade from W7 to W10.  Wasn't impressed reformatted/reinstalled W7 with the Technet key I had and it worked.  I don't think I'll upgrade either machine until I'm forced to.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
Talking to a friend who has 10 Home says there is a setting you can check that says  you can choose to restart on your schedule. Not when the updates are downloaded. Even if a restart is required.
Is this true?

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 12:30:59 AM »
Ocala, yes that is true.

Valentine, Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions of Win 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
and your listed fix does work on Win 10 Pro.

Randall

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 03:46:42 AM »
Talking to a friend who has 10 Home says there is a setting you can check that says  you can choose to restart on your schedule. Not when the updates are downloaded. Even if a restart is required.
Is this true?

First updates arrived last night.
I had set it to notify me so i can shedule the reboot.

It downloaded and installed the updates in background and notified me about to shedule the reboot.
It actually shedule as default a reboot to following night at 03:30 if you not change it before that.

I also leaved open a couple of programs to see if they are there after the reboot (browser + notepad with some unsaved random text). All open programmes was gone after the reboot.

// Henkka

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 07:19:10 AM »
Thanks Randall, so gpedit.msc doesn't come with home edition how nice of Microsoft.
Randy

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
Valentine,

I just download a spreadsheet from MS that maps every group policy to a specific registry value.
It will take me a while to find the correct mapping (huge list) to write a registry script that will kill it.
I am not the only one going for this and quite frankly I would think someone will beat me to it.
I like scripting but this is like writing machine code at the command prompt :-)

BTW Pro versions of Win have the capability to join Domains hence the GPO editor.
However the registry in any version has exactly the same capability with the right entries and values.
And the registries are the keys to the kingdom in any windows OS.

weatherc thanks for the update (pi)

Why do I find this fun......

Randall