Author Topic: WeatherNation on Directv!  (Read 14576 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: WeatherNation on Directv!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
I personally wish WeatherNation all the best and luck in the World. I personally would love to see someone squash TWC into oblivion and now. I've hated that channel since my friend Bill Schubert left there and now I flat out despise it! The only time I see TWC is when I am flipping through the channels!!! Down with TWC!!!  \:D/

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »
No option now  :lol:, its the only channel on DirecTV as of midnight.

Funny, TWC owns 30% of our The Weather Network in Canada, but obviously have no bad influence. Ours is still all weather. the only change over the years, is more commercials, but you got to pay the bills.  I remember needing to turn it on "on the tens" to get my forecast.  With the internet and smartphone these channels are far less relevant.  In fact the Ice Storms this winter were the first time I have turned on TWN in years.  They actually expanded their local forecast presentation since I last watched them regularly.

Andrew

I just found this network and that is the first thing I thought of "This is what the Weather Channel used to be and SHOULD be now." I wonder of TWC realizes that every time a DirecTV subscriber turns on the TV to check the weather and finds one of those stupid reality shows, they will have a new, better option to turn to.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
From Directv

Latest Weather Channel Update

Last updated 1/13/2014

The Weather Channel has removed its service from DIRECTV, and while that’s regrettable, DIRECTV will continue to provide its customers with what they’ve been asking for, around-the-clock, 100 percent weather news and information now available on WeatherNation (Channel 362).

Consumers understand there are now a variety of other ways to get weather coverage, free of reality show clutter, and that The Weather Channel does not have an exclusive on weather coverage – the weather belongs to everyone.

Most consumers don’t want to watch a weather information channel with a forecast of a 40 percent chance of reality TV. So with that in mind, we are in the process of discussing an agreement to return the network to our line-up at the right value for our customers.

Other Ways to Get Complete Weather-Related News and Information

Tune to WeatherNation on Channel 362 for 24/7 weather coverage. You can also, of course, get weather coverage on your local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX affiliates, and CNN. Here’s a list of handy resources for instant weather information on your computer or mobile devices:

iPhone and iPad Apps
Android Apps
Weather Nation   Yahoo Weather   1Weather: Widget Forecast Radar
AccuWeather   Weather+   Go Weather Forecast & Widgets
National Weather Service   MyRadar   Weatherbug
Yahoo Weather   AccuWeather   Yahoo Weather
MSN Weather   Weathercaster   AccuWeather
Weather Underground       
World Weather Forecasts       

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »
Most consumers don’t want to watch a weather information channel with a forecast of a 40 percent chance of reality TV.

That's great!   :lol:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »
WeatherNation is running in the old Weather Channel slot on Directv

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
Anyone know what % of TWC viewing audience was lost?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
Figures I've seen say DirecTV's 20 million subscribers account for about 18% of TWC's total available households.

But they also say TWC only gets about 210,000 viewers on an average day.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
TWC to me is like Wal*mart. They just want to sell you something. The purpose is vastly distorted of why TWC exists. Now wishing AT&T Uverse had WN.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »

100% at my house.   8-)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »
Figures I've seen say DirecTV's 20 million subscribers account for about 18% of TWC's total available households.
But they also say TWC only gets about 210,000 viewers on an average day.
Let's see..
TWC lost 18% of it's viewers.
Only 1% of DirecTV's 20 million subscribers will miss TWC

Sounds like TWC was not in a good position to play hardball. I wonder if the price of ads will go down.

100% at my house.   8-)
As mentioned, I ditched the whole lot of them last year.  :grin: Every time I travel and see cable in a hotel, it reminds me why. The whole situation is frustrating. TV and Movie technology is at it's peak with big beautiful pictures, and yet there is hardly anything worth watching to take advantage of this equipment.  :???:

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 01:42:33 AM »
So, we all saw the Weather Channel pull that subtle move over the weekend in which they went back to their old school, wall-to-wall weather coverage like it was 1999 or something. Crazy, I know.

Now, it appears that they are trying something else under the radar in order to prove that they are still where weather nerds want to flock to.

With a blizzard threatening the northern Mid-West, I noticed that none of the tweets from the Weather Channel meteorologists had those annoying names attached to them. Then I looked on TWC's page, and sure enough as of an hour ago, there was not a Winter Storm name to be found on the site. There was, however, lots of mentions of Alberta clippers and generic blizzards, but not one goofy name in the bunch.

I know in the past, TWC has jumped at the chance to pimp those names any time they could, so I wonder if this is another one of their attempts to quietly shift gears without admitting they were wrong.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
They could go back to the way it was when they first started in 1982, doesn't matter now. They lost me as a view longggggggg ago!!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
No goofy names here.

Somewhere, Beavis and Butthead are laughing uncontrollably.

Andrew

With a blizzard threatening the northern Mid-West, I noticed that none of the tweets from the Weather Channel meteorologists had those annoying names attached to them. Then I looked on TWC's page, and sure enough as of an hour ago, there was not a Winter Storm name to be found on the site. There was, however, lots of mentions of Alberta clippers and generic blizzards, but not one goofy name in the bunch.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »
No goofy names here.

Somewhere, Beavis and Butthead are laughing uncontrollably.

Andrew

is this a way of telling us the weather is going to be crappy?

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 04:46:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Really helpful!
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

anything