Author Topic: USAF AN/FPS-77 Storm Detection Radar  (Read 16035 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: USAF AN/FPS-77 Storm Detection Radar
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »
Yes, congratulations Al, and also glad to see you here again.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 06:59:58 PM »
Really appreciate that.  If you would please post here when it's back on line.  TIA.
Wxtech Weather Equipment Technical Library

www.lexingtonwx.com/techdata/index.html

My technical library has pre-1970s U. S. Air Force weather station equipment manuals and training books available for anyone to use.  The publications were published by the government, so they are not copyrighted and they cannot be sold or charged for their use.

The technical library has information on wind, temperature-humidity, visibility, cloud height and storm detection radar.  Included is the AN/FMN-1 RVR computer.  It was a unique device that predates modern computing methods.  It had a mechanical Read Only Memory (ROM).  The circuitry was totally discrete transistors, no integrated circuits. 
The FMN-1 digital format was 4 bits counting from 0 to 9 in a 1-2-4-‘2 value.  We read the data form as “1, 2, 4, not 2”.  When all 4 bits were in the on state, would equal decimal 9.  Hence the circuits counted to decimal 0 to 9.

Note that the link to Magnetic Amplifiers, Power Supplies and Regulators brings the wrong pdf.  I’ll correct that soon.

I have written books about soldering http://www.lexingtonwx.com/html/soldering.html
Davis wind speed and direction sensor http://www.lexingtonwx.com/anemometer/
Edit:  The hard paper copies of the source books were donated to the USAF Air Force Weather Agency - History Office.  I had no means to scan the large fold out schematics but they were saved by the USAF Historian. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:55:37 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »
Now I'm mostly an acoustic weather nut :grin:  Play in a local bluegrass group. but in my basement recording studio I still have lots of tube processing and a ribbon microphone or two ..guess old habits are hard to break..  sorry for getting waaay off the original topic :grin:  Memory still works pretty good sometimes LOL!

There's a great bluegrass/americana station in Knoxville.  www.wdvx.com.  you should check it out.

Where'd Slow go?

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
Really appreciate that.  If you would please post here when it's back on line.  TIA.
Wxtech Weather Equipment Technical Library

www.lexingtonwx.com/techdata/index.html

My technical library has pre-1970s U. S. Air Force weather station equipment manuals and training books available for anyone to use.  The publications were published by the government, so they are not copyrighted and they cannot be sold or charged for their use.

The technical library has information on wind, temperature-humidity, visibility, cloud height and storm detection radar.  Included is the AN/FMN-1 RVR computer.  It was a unique device that predates modern computing methods.  It had a mechanical Read Only Memory (ROM).  The circuitry was totally discrete transistors, no integrated circuits. 
The FMN-1 digital format was 4 bits counting from 0 to 9 in a 1-2-4-‘2 value.  We read the data form as “1, 2, 4, not 2”.  When all 4 bits were in the on state, would equal decimal 9.  Hence the circuits counted to decimal 0 to 9.

Note that the link to Magnetic Amplifiers, Power Supplies and Regulators brings the wrong pdf.  I’ll correct that soon.

I have written books about soldering http://www.lexingtonwx.com/html/soldering.html
Davis wind speed and direction sensor http://www.lexingtonwx.com/anemometer/
Edit:  The hard paper copies of the source books were donated to the USAF Air Force Weather Agency - History Office.  I had no means to scan the large fold out schematics but they were saved by the USAF Historian.
Thanks Al for getting this back online.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

anything