Author Topic: Atlas Has Arrived  (Read 20325 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Has Arrived
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 05:53:21 PM »
Your comparison to 5-in-1 systems isn't valid. 5-in-1s aren't Atlases. Different market segment and revenue model.

They both use Access, which is what gathers the data and sends data to Acurite and wunderground.

Thinking there is a subsidy going on is quite a stretch.

Under your theory, is an Atlas Elite going to be less subsidized as it is targeting a price-point similar to the VP2?

The Atlas is more acuritely (see what I did there?) targeted toward the price point of Vantage Vue, not a VP2.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »
Actually, unless I'm missing something, acurite.com is selling Atlases with hubs for $250 ($150 base + $99 hub) plus shipping. Same price as the station + display option. Meanwhile, a VP2+ is $851 plus shipping on Scaled Inst. That's a greater than 3X price differential.
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »
Your comparison to 5-in-1 systems isn't valid. 5-in-1s aren't Atlases. Different market segment and revenue model.

They both use Access, which is what gathers the data and sends data to Acurite and wunderground.

Thinking there is a subsidy going on is quite a stretch.

Under your theory, is an Atlas Elite going to be less subsidized as it is targeting a price-point similar to the VP2?

The Atlas is more acuritely (see what I did there?) targeted toward the price point of Vantage Vue, not a VP2.

The Atlas destroys the Vue on features. It's not in the same segment. It even arguably offers more features than a VP2+ (depending on which features you focus on or are important to you). By my eye, according to the spec sheet, the Elite will have the same sensors but a greater transmission range and shorter update intervals. I'm sure there will be other advantages as well. But you don't need the Elite to knock off most of Davis' enthusiast users. So unless Acurite discovered a hidden treasure map somewhere telling them how to source and install comparable parts for remarkably less than Davis, they are not going to just leave money on the table. My guess is they are making up the difference from the cloud (either by eventually charging for access like Davis or selling the data to a 3rd party).  This is how most low-cost products and apps work now. The data is the most valuable commodity and the only path to profitability. Why else lock down the hub? They HAD to provide a Wunderground upload option to remain competitive.
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
The Atlas destroys the Vue on features. It's not in the same segment. It even arguably offers more features than a VP2+ (depending on which features you focus on or are important to you). By my eye, according to the spec sheet, the Elite will have the same sensors but a greater transmission range and shorter update intervals. I'm sure there will be other advantages as well. But you don't need the Elite to knock off most of Davis' enthusiast users. So unless Acurite discovered a hidden treasure map somewhere telling them how to source and install comparable parts for remarkably less than Davis, they are not going to just leave money on the table. My guess is they are making up the difference from the cloud (either by eventually charging for access like Davis or selling the data to a 3rd party).  This is how most low-cost products and apps work now. The data is the most valuable commodity and the only path to profitability. Why else lock down the hub? They HAD to provide a Wunderground upload option to remain competitive.

The simpler answer is that Davis has had no real competition in the past and has been able to enjoy high margins. 

What Acurite has "found" is an under-served market segment... folks wanting higher-quality weather gear but not at Davis-like prices.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 08:06:18 PM »
If anyone has an Atlas on Weather Underground please share the station ID, especially if you live in Florida. I'd like to see the data and how it handles 100% humidity.

It is unfortunate that Weather Underground lumps all Acurite stations under the same station type. I'd like to be able to tell them apart from a 5 in 1 model.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 09:05:31 PM »

The Temp/Humidity sensor is an SHT31.

Personally, I'd like to disassemble the anemometer and see if it is using a Hall effect sensor or not.

I've seen other devices where the SHT31 performs well. But for some reason the folks over in the Davis camp are having a tough time getting their SHT31 sensors to perform consistently well after a few months. You can follow the huge thread over in the Davis sub. Davis has some scrambling to do.

Well I hope the SHT31 does well in the Atlas. I can't wait for teardown photos.

EDIT:
As for the anemometer, I can't see it not being half effect. Only because my Ambient WS-2902A has it. On my Ambient you can tell just by spinning it and hearing two clicks every turn (one every half turn). No need for teardown to learn that. I suppose it depends on the relay switch used if can hear it or not though.

Oh...not Half Effect....you said Hall Effect.  I didn't know what that was till just now. Basically a magnetic field sensing activated switch versus a reed (magnetic but with moving contacts) switch. I thought you were talking about having more than one sensor switch per rotation, as in one every "half" a turn. He He...silly me.  :smile:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:28:56 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »
kd7eir re: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35084.msg358892#msg358892

Are you drunk or just an employee of Ambient? ...

This reply has to be the single most idiotic attempt to defend a company I have ever read in my life!

Oops... Yellow Card here.  This personal attack behavior will not be tolerated in the future.
Cease and desist the personal attacks or you will be summarily banned from the forum.
This is your final warning.

You may have (and seem to express) strongly held negative opinions regarding offerings of some vendors.  Be factual in your replies and not sling personal insults at the other members.

For your information, a WeatherBridge from Ambient (their branded Meteobridge system) has free access to publish/use the ambientweather.net uploads.  Only 'native' Meteobridge systems (not purchased from Ambient) would require the API access fee to be paid to submit data to ambientweather.net.

Both WeatherBridge and Meteobridge systems can publish to a variety of weather networks -- only the WeatherBridge branded system can do it for free to ambientweather.net.

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline bdh

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 10:20:15 PM »
God Bless Saratoga

Offline bdh

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
Hey  Nincehelser, You still running a 5-1 if so are you using the same access for the atlas also and if so do you have to run it on any certain channel. so you can run both through it. I was planning on running the 5-1 until it bites the dust and I run out of spare parts. should be receiving my atlas with wind extension tomorrow or Saturday cant wait . Just gonna have to set a new pole in concrete my other ones full . 2 new weather Stations in 3 months   \:D/

Thanks

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
Hey  Nincehelser, You still running a 5-1 if so are you using the same access for the atlas also and if so do you have to run it on any certain channel. so you can run both through it. I was planning on running the 5-1 until it bites the dust and I run out of spare parts. should be receiving my atlas with wind extension tomorrow or Saturday cant wait . Just gonna have to set a new pole in concrete my other ones full . 2 new weather Stations in 3 months   \:D/

Thanks

You can run both an Atlas and a 5n1 through the same Access with no special setup.  The Access doesn’t care about the channel setting.

Since the Atlas and 5n1 are different model types, they can co-exist on the same channel.  It really doesn’t matter.

As for the displays, they should be set to the same channel as their corresponding sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bdh

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2018, 08:50:13 AM »
Thanks George   I could not believe the cheap prices I purchased through acurite for like 174 for the 2 pieces I did not order the hd display, will the older displays work with the atlas. I might add lighting down the road , but I have it right now on weatherflow.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:52:41 AM by bdh »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »
I hope mine is still coming. I saved my beta model from Florence. I have to fix my WH2310, it is not working for wind or solar. A tornado went thru here during the hurricane.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
Will this work with the Access to enable third-party uploads by tapping the WU rapid-fire stream?

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35103.msg358962#new

They don't specifically list Acu-Rite, but are looking for testers.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2018, 09:12:42 PM »
Hello, I'm new here.I'm an Acurite refugee who has been waiting for the Atlas. Then found out that the Acurite forums have closed.

I was excited about the Atlas. I do like the new sensors for the UV index and light intensity. I was hoping it would be cheaper but with the options I want it would be $340 and I even already have the Access hub. Although the base price does sound good. Here's what I come up with:

Base price:            $150
HD display:            $100
Lightning Detector: $40
Wind Extension:      $30
Battery Pack:          $20
--------------------------------
Total:                     $340

I take it my current HD display or my current battery pack won't work with the Atlas. So I would have to buy new ones?

So anyway, I'll add it tomy list and start saving.  :-)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
It is interesting that Amazon has not taken down the pre-order listing showing the Atlas + display + Access + lightning detector for $274.21. On Acurite's site, that configuration comes out to $389.96. And on top of that, Acurite answered a user submitted question today on the Amazon listing. I would think they would at least ask Amazon to remove the incorrect price.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/dp/B074XKB239

I am almost tempted to order one to see how long it takes Amazon to cancel the order.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:54:55 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
It would seem to me if you bought the wind extension you would not need the battery pack.  The base unit could be mounted lower where it would be easy to exchange batteries.

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
It would seem to me if you bought the wind extension you would not need the battery pack.  The base unit could be mounted lower where it would be easy to exchange batteries.

Not the way I have to mount it. It would still be out of reach.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »

Not the way I have to mount it. It would still be out of reach.

I suppose if you really wanted, you could use both the wind extension and the remote battery pack (or AC adapter) and be measuring winds at 66 feet!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 11:01:14 PM »
It is interesting that Amazon has not taken down the pre-order listing showing the Atlas + display + Access + lightning detector for $274.21. On Acurite's site, that configuration comes out to $389.96. And on top of that, Acurite answered a user submitted question today on the Amazon listing. I would think they would at least ask Amazon to remove the incorrect price.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/dp/B074XKB239

I am almost tempted to order one to see how long it takes Amazon to cancel the order.

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think Acurite has control over those listings.  I think they sell hardware to Amazon at wholesale prices, and then Amazon sets their own retail prices.

I've no idea if Amazon will honor the listing.  Someone on Facebook says they have placed an order.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:06 PM »
Hello, I'm new here.I'm an Acurite refugee who has been waiting for the Atlas. Then found out that the Acurite forums have closed.

I was excited about the Atlas. I do like the new sensors for the UV index and light intensity. I was hoping it would be cheaper but with the options I want it would be $340 and I even already have the Access hub. Although the base price does sound good. Here's what I come up with:

I take it my current HD display or my current battery pack won't work with the Atlas. So I would have to buy new ones?

If you're trying to cut costs, you really don't need the HD display if you're willing to use myAcurite and/or wunderground for data viewing.

You are getting a bit of a price break on the HD display by getting it up-front.  I think the stand-alone price is something like $129.

Anyway, from the perspective of those who upgraded their SmartHUBs for $40, getting a fun new sensor for $150 isn't a bad deal.  It puts it within easier reach for those who can't afford an entirely new system.  It also gives them something they can "grow" into over time.

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2018, 11:49:58 PM »

If you're trying to cut costs, you really don't need the HD display if you're willing to use myAcurite and/or wunderground for data viewing.

You are getting a bit of a price break on the HD display by getting it up-front.  I think the stand-alone price is something like $129.

Anyway, from the perspective of those who upgraded their SmartHUBs for $40, getting a fun new sensor for $150 isn't a bad deal.  It puts it within easier reach for those who can't afford an entirely new system.  It also gives them something they can "grow" into over time.

I also paid $40 for my Access. It is a good expandable system. I just don't want to take it down every time I add a feature. You are right, I don't need the display right away so I can save $100 right there.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
I downloaded the manual and could not find an answer...does the display have a USB port in case software will be available for it? Or is the display connected to Wi-Fi?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
I downloaded the manual and could not find an answer...does the display have a USB port in case software will be available for it? Or is the display connected to Wi-Fi?

Near the bottom edge there is a small removable panel that hides a USB port and a depressable switch.

I imagine the port is "factory use only" for now. 

Depressing the switch doesn't seem to do anything obvious.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:25:49 AM by nincehelser »

Offline bdh

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
Amazon all sold out now , my Atlas and wind extension is out for delivery  Ordered on September 18, 2018 12:32:41 PM CDT and out for delivery today and thats from acurite  \:D/

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »

Who says they'll cancel the orders.  Amazon has usually offered better kit prices then Acurite. I was the one that asked what components were included in the bundle and Acurite confirmed that it's the "full meal deal". An Amazon backorder doesn't always mean imminent order cancellation.

My issue is that Acurite has a very tainted reputation of releasing "half baked" products. Their recent ransom scheme with Access adds to my reservations with this company.

However their new display is light years ahead of Davis's primitive Vantage Vue platform and the Atlas sensor looks impressive. (Davis hasn't done anything new/innovative this entire decade!). Unfortunately the Atlas range is still spec'd at 330' which in real life is probably closer to 100'.  Does anyone know if the Atlas transmitting strength/antenna design is any better then the 5 in 1?   (I finally got Access reliable by decapitating it's case and adding a tuned half wave dipole receiving antenna.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:56:45 AM by davefr »

anything