Author Topic: Courtesy, acceptance and "attitude" on WXforum  (Read 6799 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Courtesy, acceptance and "attitude" on WXforum
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
For the last 8 months or so, I have not been able to take part as much in the adminning of this forum as I would Like. I have been involved in elder care for both of my parents, the passing of my father, burying his ashes, and planning and executing the memorial reception.

Also in this time, the USA has gone through a rather tumultuous election, as you all well know.

As busy as we have been, as an admin, I still read or at least scan every post every day. In that time, the level of courtesy and acceptance here seems to have taken a bit of a dip on some fronts.

With my current perspective on life, living, and what's truly important, I would like to ask that everyone stop for a moment, take a deep breath or 2, and relax.

I think I speak for all of the admins and mods when I say, I'm tired of the angst and seemingly daily use of the "Report To Admin" button.

If you are posting, please reread your post pre-submission for "attitude" and value. If you re replying to a post, same thing.

If you are getting close to hitting the "Report" button, ask yourself, if you were an admin here, what would you do about it?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Re: Courtesy, acceptance and "attitude" on WXforum
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »
+1
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 03:13:13 PM »
I totally agree and I have to say I myself vhave not used the Report button a single time on this forum
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:32:22 PM by Jáchym »

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
Absolutely right on Chris.
Thanks for all your work and sorry about the curves life has tossed at you - been there.

CW3699

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
Amen, Chris. In the 6+ years I've been on here, I may have used the Report button once.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »
Good points. I too have never used the report option. The admins of this Forum do an excellent job! Thanks!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
ask yourself, if you were an admin here, what would you do about it?

I would remove the button, which is something I'm considering doing on another SMF board I run.

Sometimes people just need to 'deal with it' when it comes to posts they don't like.

To me, reporting posts is like the kid on the playground running to the teacher ....  'they won't play it my way!!'

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »
I actually agree with that because there is a fundamental difference between not liking a post because you disagree with it or not liking it because it directly insults someone.
The latter does not happen very often, and if it does then usually the admins spot it themselves and delete it or you can just PM them because as I said, I have only seen it maybe twice since I first registered here.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
ask yourself, if you were an admin here, what would you do about it?

I would remove the button, which is something I'm considering doing on another SMF board I run.

Sometimes people just need to 'deal with it' when it comes to posts they don't like.

To me, reporting posts is like the kid on the playground running to the teacher ....  'they won't play it my way!!'

Yes, please do away with the button! You guys do a good job ensuring we stay on point, or you tell us to stay on point--and when used on any posts I have made over the years--I deserved it and for the most part, deleted my post.

Would someone explain what SMF means? Sorry, google had several ideas, but none that made sense!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:27:27 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »

I actually agree with that because there is a fundamental difference between not liking a post because you disagree with it or not liking it because it directly insults someone.
The latter does not happen very often, and if it does then usually the admins spot it themselves and delete it or you can just PM them because as I said, I have only seen it maybe twice since I first registered here.
I thought the Report to moderator was for those rare occasions that there was something to be reported to them, including postings that are out of line in this weather forum.  I admit I have used it, but very seldom, to indicate to the moderator that a thread or a poster was in my opinion out of line (by far the majority when a person attacking or insulting another).  I pressed Report along with comment, to express my view on inappropriate posting and which perhaps would have added to Reports from others with the same view.  I think the Report to administrator can and does work.  However it should not be used to disturb good discussion and civil debate, and certainly not for when in disagreement with someone else's views.

Thanks Chris, you made some excellent points and reminders to posters.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »
By the way, what does SMF mean?

"Shake My Fist"   ;)

Actually, "Simple Machines Forum", the name of the forum software used here.  (http://simplemachines.org)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
When writing about politics and religion, or any other subject, stick only to the issue and never resort to personal attacks, PLEASE!

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 12:20:06 PM »
When writing about politics and religion, or any other subject, stick only to the issue and never resort to personal attacks, PLEASE!

Lets stop linking to liberals or consecutive opinions also. Maybe best thing is stop all talk leading to politics or religion. Stop all references to political parties (I've let slid BTW) multiple times on your earthquakes. If you don't want controversy stop bringing up controversial subjects. I disagree with your opinions just as much as you disagree with mine.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »

My position has always been to address the post or topic, not the poster(s).

Offline MGCJerry

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
I'm not active on here, but heres my 2 cents about the "report post" button... I only make use of the report for 2 reasons. Blatant (pills, penis enlargements, etc) spam (if spam is prohibited on the rules), or death threats against members. Otherwise, I don't use it. If I read something I don't like, then its my problem not the admins.