Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184257 times)

Offline RainAlwaysRain

• WoodinvilleWX
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1100 on: November 29, 2018, 02:21:41 AM »
Well, sad to see WU go away and move to an entirely business and revenue focused purpose http://biz.weather.com/WU-Data-API_Data-Package-Demo-Request.html.

I don't blame them, but I also have no interest in continuing to send my PWS data for them to profit from.

Also, with the significant decline in service, quality and innovation for human users of WU in recent years, it certainly feels like the right time to put the final nail in the IBM-WU coffin.

I actually don't need to find an alternative for my station data. I host my own. I use WU simply for easy access to my own PWS data via 3rd party mechanisms. I have some home automation and dashboard services that pull from WU to report current conditions. WU, like Google Maps became the default because it was free. But now it's time to cut the cord. I'd like to fully abandon WU over the next month.

Anyone else with similar goals already develop alternative solutions to fully cutoff from WU?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:31:43 AM by RainAlwaysRain »

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1101 on: November 29, 2018, 04:52:12 PM »
I for one will stay with WU. I personally am not a "deep into it" weather hobbyist. I like to see local stations data compared to mine in terms of temperature, wind and rainfall. If they get my data for free, so what. At least I do not need to pay for this service. I am happy that the "no data" issue has been solved and that the WU PWS system will stay and improve. For the most part of the last 5 years I have had no major issues and it has been there to share with my friends who live out of the area as well as neighbors. My station receives from 200-300 views a month so I know that somebody is interested.

Offline dave.mccreath

• Wunderground Cambridgeshire UK
« Reply #1102 on: November 29, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
I for one will stay with WU. I personally am not a "deep into it" weather hobbyist. I like to see local stations data compared to mine in terms of temperature, wind and rainfall. If they get my data for free, so what. At least I do not need to pay for this service. I am happy that the "no data" issue has been solved and that the WU PWS system will stay and improve. For the most part of the last 5 years I have had no major issues and it has been there to share with my friends who live out of the area as well as neighbors. My station receives from 200-300 views a month so I know that somebody is interested.

Ditto.  Minor glitches over the past 6 years but all overcome.  I'll not be moving anywhere and if we see improvements over the coming months, all the better.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1103 on: November 30, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
Ditto.  Minor glitches over the past 6 years but all overcome.  I'll not be moving anywhere and if we see improvements over the coming months, all the better.
Yup...like this one. "Wunderful".
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #1104 on: November 30, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Yep, exactly. I've spent more time and effort trying to fix things that I assumed were on my end that turned out to be another "minor glitch" on the WU side than any other service I've ever been involved with.

I guess it depends on how much you check the web site or the mobile app as to how minor the issues have been. Besides the ads for premium members showing up over and over, my Wundermap not working for over 2 months, sporadic inability to log in, lack of data for weeks on end, missing portions of the forecast pages, no webcams, favorites messed up, C and F not working right, constant "try again later" errors on the mobile app and on and on and on there's only been a couple of "minor glitches" over the past couple of years.

Sure, I'll wait and see what the future brings but I might be a little jaded at this point especially since we're less than a month from the end of the year and i've still not received any communication from WU/IBM about the upcoming changes.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #1105 on: December 01, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »
Here is something a bit unusual, my station KCAGRASS150 Glenbrook, shows on the web page correctly as Grass Valley, Ca. On the forecast page it shows Nevada City, Ca. that is a neighboring city. Can this be corrected? Can somebody from WU please comment on this and how can it be corrected. TNX. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #1106 on: December 01, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
Here is something a bit unusual, my station KCAGRASS150 Glenbrook, shows on the web page correctly as Grass Valley, Ca. On the forecast page it shows Nevada City, Ca. that is a neighboring city. Can this be corrected? Can somebody from WU please comment on this and how can it be corrected. TNX. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Think that WU normalizes "Forecasts" to a coarser-grained NWS database that in many cases pulls a forecast from a nearby defined location.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #1107 on: December 01, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Nevada City tends to be wetter and colder than my location although I am a bit higher in elevation.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:29:16 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline Dartman

• Village Idiot
« Reply #1108 on: December 01, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
Well mine started working a few days ago too so  guess they have it bandaged up enough to work till they really rewrite the page. =D> Was really missing being able to check all my data on one easy page to scroll through rather then touching my HD display or checking it on the acurite widget.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #1109 on: December 03, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
I am in communication with WU and service is requesting my current API. I am using IP tools as an interface and I can not find where this information is stored. To my knowledge I have never had one.   
                                                                                ****UPDATE****
So here is the skinny at least on my station. I have a WS-1400-IP wireless array that uses a bridge that is configured with IP Tools software. The bridge is connected to my router by cable. I have never used an API to setup nor do I need one per Victoria at IBM. I should sail on as usual after the first of the year without any worries. Those of you with similar questions may want to contact her at IBM. She has stated that she would rather deal with these questions on a one to one basis rather than posting on a forum page. Her email is:     Victoria.Gardner@ibm.com     :grin:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:58:52 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline SWX

« Reply #1110 on: December 08, 2018, 04:15:36 PM »
My station hasn’t been on the map for nearly a week. Doesn’t bother me tbh, everything else is in order, but I’m just slightly curious as to why.

At first I suspected erroneous temperature reports as my station has a tendency to run ~2 degrees warmer than others when there’s calm winds and clear blue skies during the early morning hours, I suspect it’s the low sun angle considering this issue is fairly recent. Doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it typically subsides as the sun climbs higher into the sky.

But I see a few stations that are way off the mark at all times, however they remain on the map. Just curious to know if there’s a legitimate reason why my station disappeared or if it’s a bug.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #1111 on: December 09, 2018, 09:05:21 AM »
Well, sad to see WU go away and move to an entirely business and revenue focused purpose http://biz.weather.com/WU-Data-API_Data-Package-Demo-Request.html.

I don't blame them, but I also have no interest in continuing to send my PWS data for them to profit from.

Also, with the significant decline in service, quality and innovation for human users of WU in recent years, it certainly feels like the right time to put the final nail in the IBM-WU coffin.

I actually don't need to find an alternative for my station data. I host my own. I use WU simply for easy access to my own PWS data via 3rd party mechanisms. I have some home automation and dashboard services that pull from WU to report current conditions. WU, like Google Maps became the default because it was free. But now it's time to cut the cord. I'd like to fully abandon WU over the next month.

Anyone else with similar goals already develop alternative solutions to fully cutoff from WU?
I see where you are coming from and I certainly understand. They have let the service falter.
From my end though, with no personal website, it's the only service I know of that gives me realtime data free of charge with no adds. That's a pretty good compromise.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: December 09, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
Over the past 12 months, I've added the ability to capture my Ambient station data to a local SQL database, and wrote my own little weather page complete with my webcam. I turned off my webcam connection with WU when we couldn't send to them and their pulls were failing as well. About the only thing I wish I could replicate is the ability to generate the graphs for Temp/DewPt, Wind Speed/Dir, Precip, and Baro pressure from my own data. Other than that, I can continue on merrily, and wait until the (so far) vaporware "new fabulous" website replacement arrives.

My gripe is that WU/TWC/IBM is so disingenuous about keeping their loyal data providers in the loop. Should nothing happen in a couple more months time, I will turn off my data stream to them. I really doubt they actually use it anyway.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #1113 on: December 10, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »
WU finally started picking up my camera image (via URL). At first it seemed to be OK, but for the past couple of days, the image is old.

Is there some kind of caching problem with the WU cam images?

Here is my cam: https://admin.meteobridge.com/cam/94165b178d12be8bbd29560ebc0a453e/camplus.jpg

The current image on WU is from 5:20 AM this morning.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1114 on: December 10, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
Mine is also being picked up via URL again.
Yours is updating and just a few minutes past the actual time 09:24 at 09:30 am. the last time I checked.
Enjoy,Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #1115 on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
Mine is also being picked up via URL again.
Yours is updating and just a few minutes past the actual time 09:24 at 09:30 am. the last time I checked.
Enjoy,Paul

I still see the 5:20 AM image, Paul.

Here is my WU page: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMIROGER7&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Here is the direct link to the WU version of the image: https://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/m/i/miraculon/2/current.jpg

How are you viewing the cam image? Can you post a link?

Greg H.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1116 on: December 10, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »
My station hasn’t been on the map for nearly a week. Doesn’t bother me tbh, everything else is in order, but I’m just slightly curious as to why.
@SupaWX It appears that you are in the recent “Missing Summary” vortex. Given time, it just might come back. If you look at the summary details it’s void of any data. It’s all connected.  ](*,)

Edit: Spoke too soon. I just peeked at my station and to my “surprise” I too am missing Summary data, not to mention my graphs displayed an unintelligeble week’s worth of hours. A full refresh of the page fixed it (cmd-r on iPad, Ctrl-F5 on Win, etc...). Looks like the WUzzers are performing surgery.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:35:50 AM by rormeister »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1117 on: December 10, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
How are you viewing the cam image? Can you post a link?
Interesting, now I see yours with that 05:20:05 time and blank from your https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMIROGER7&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history and pretty sure earlier when I first looked the then current time was shown which was close to the time of your direct image URL and similar images.  When I first tried your video for today (Dec 10) it did show a very short video but was for yesterday (Dec 9).  Now when I try your video for today it is total black and the videos for late last week also fail.  Appears to be a WU issue.

Mine does appear to be current https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IONTARIO226&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history

Enjoy,Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1118 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
Hi Greg,
Looks like all straightened out?  WU shows more current image 11:30:06 =D> at 11:54 am
Enjoy,Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #1119 on: December 10, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
It seems to be working now. Thanks.

Greg H.

Offline mth

• Relay, Maryland Weather
« Reply #1120 on: December 11, 2018, 07:11:55 AM »
Strange issue here....

My webcam has been appearing on my "Webcam" tab on the main PWS page for over 10 years, but now it states "Missing Webcam"

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDRELAY1

My webcam is currently active and I'm definitely uploading consistently to WU.

https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/RelayWeather/1/show.html

Has anyone else been experiencing these issues?
Michael Holden
Relay, Maryland Weather Station
http://www.relayweather.com
Davis Vantage Pro 2  -  Model 6153

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1121 on: December 11, 2018, 07:55:26 AM »
Sometimes the camera drops and how I fix it is by going to WU My Webcam and selecting to reassociate with my PWS.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #1122 on: December 11, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »
It seems to be working now. Thanks.

Greg H.

Stuck (again) at 3:42:06 AM. Note that it was dark and a black screen is expected.

Greg

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1123 on: December 11, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »
Hi Greg,I am sure it is annoying for you to see that again.
Since it had been working for a time yesterday and if nothing has changed I'd think it is a WU issue.
However, mine is still working so likely not a wide-spread WU issue. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Keith Myers

• My Astrophotography photostream
« Reply #1124 on: December 12, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
Both the 10 day Forecast and the next day hourly forecast never populate since yesterday.  I have cleared the browser cache and rebooted.  Only the Today forecast populates.
Thought I'd better join the community since I am getting a PWS tomorrow. The closest ones to my location have been very iffy in providing data to Weather Underground.  I need a WU station to provide my local weather conditions for my PVOutput.org solar generation monitoring.

anything