Author Topic: Midland HH54VP Experience?  (Read 9058 times)

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
Midland HH54VP Experience?
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
Anyone using the Midland HH54VP Hand Held Weather Radio?

I've used two different hand held weather radios, the oldest one I stopped using because it was too easy to accidentally change the settings by pressing the "county" button, and they both seemed to have a strange setup/change procedure.

What I like about the description of this radio is the "Home/Travel" button.

From the manual:
"The HH54 gives you the option of home or travel mode, making it easy to take the radio from home onto a road trip or vacation without having to reprogram your settings Here are the basic differences between travel and home mode:
Home Mode: In this mode the radio uses your default settings for response location. So, if you have chosen multiple S.A.M.E counties and programmed in three, these will be the counties the radio will alert for. In addition your channel selected during the quick start set-up will be saved as a home default as well, unless you manually change it through the menu while in home mode. When you switch to travel mode, these settings will be saved for when you return back to home mode.
Travel Mode: In this mode the radio automatically scans to the first available weather channel with a broadcast signal strong enough to use. If later the signal becomes too weak to use the radio will automatically resume scanning to find a usable signal. This ensures no matter where you go you will always be locked onto the weather channel for that area. As for the S.A.M.E settings, the radio automatically disables Single and Multiple options so the radio will only alert for Any counties within range of where you are. To activate travel mode, press and hold the TR/HM button for 3 seconds. To return to home hold TR/HM again 3 seconds."

...and since you have press the TR/HM button for three seconds - no accidental changes. The travel mode would be great at the lake or beach, when knowing of all approaching warnings provides some extra time to start seeking shelter!

http://www.midlandradio.com/New-Arrivals2.K16/HH54VP
http://www.midlandradio.com/Resource_/OwnerManual/190/HH54%20Manual.pdf

...also, I already have a wall mounted radio with selectable alerts, so having a portable that alerts to all watches/warnings is not a problem.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
Re: Midland HH54VP Experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:19:50 AM »
I've had some time to use my new HH54VP2 and I must say I'm very pleased.

I've been able to check out all the features and they work as advertised.

The radio has three alert methods - Display/Tone/Voice
- Display causes the LED to activate green/yellow/red depending on the type of alert and the alert is shown on the display. This is great for locations where the tone would be disruptive (example: while operating the sound board at church)
- Tone will also activate the LED, display the alert and sound an alert tone for 5 minutes. Possibly usefull if you will not be near the radio for a while.
- Voice will also activate the LED, display the alert, sound the alert tone for 8 seconds and then announce the alert, returning to the standby mode at the end of the message. This would be the typical method you will use.

The radio has two operating modes - Home/Travel (each of these can use any of the three alert methods, so remember to program each as desired)
- Home is programmed with the desired frequency, S.A.M.E. "County" code(s) (up to 9) and alert method. (weekly tests will not activate the tone)
- Travel will search for the first strong frequency and will sound/display an alert (using your desired alert method) for any messages it receives (except the weekly test). Pressing the TR/HM button will force the radio to search for the next available frequency.

This radio also allows you to truly turn it OFF when not being used, thus saving your batteries (very desirable for a PORTABLE radio). When the radio is "on" (standby mode) simply press the [WX] button to hear the current broadcast.

Programming the radio is very simple - [MENU], then [UP] or [DOWN] to select the option needed, then [SELECT], then [UP] or [DOWN] for the desired setting, then [SELECT] to lock in the choice.

Turning the radio ON/OFF and switching HOME/TRAVEL modes requires a press and hold of the ON/OFF or TR/HM buttons, making it nearly impossible to accidentally turn the radio off or change modes.

The radio has a headphone jack, the included battery pack can be charged using the included drop in charger or by connecting the power supply directly to the radio. The radio can also be powered with three AA batteries if needed.

The radio has a clock with alarm and snooze which does a very good job keeping the correct time.

The radio is very solid, has great reception and very clear audio.

I'm extremely pleased with this purchase!
www.LFWeatherCenter.com

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »
That's a nice looking radio that uses the same battery pack as my Midland 2 way radios.  May have to get one.  Question about the rechargeable battery, my Midland two-way radios require you to remove the radio from the docking charger after a charging period, or damage to the battery can result.  Battery is NiMH.  How's that work with the weather radio, is it a smart charger?  Or do you have to keep removing it from the charger?

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:53:29 AM »
That's a nice looking radio that uses the same battery pack as my Midland 2 way radios.  May have to get one.  Question about the rechargeable battery, my Midland two-way radios require you to remove the radio from the docking charger after a charging period, or damage to the battery can result.  Battery is NiMH.  How's that work with the weather radio, is it a smart charger?  Or do you have to keep removing it from the charger?

I believe the instructions said to remove it from the charger after a certain number of hours. Mine is currently sitting in the charger, but the charger is unplugged - it's been that way (it's turned OFF) for several weeks since I haven't needed it. I'll most likely be using it this weekend. Should get some feel for how long it will run between charges.
www.LFWeatherCenter.com

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »
Same instructions came with my handhelds.  So there's no way to keep it turned on using AC power it seems, more of a portable unit.  How is the reception when travelling in a car?  My handhelds have the weather channels, but they don't come in too clear in the car.  Nothing as clear as my Midland 300 with the telescopic antenna located on the 2nd floor of my house.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
Same instructions came with my handhelds.  So there's no way to keep it turned on using AC power it seems, more of a portable unit.  How is the reception when travelling in a car?  My handhelds have the weather channels, but they don't come in too clear in the car.  Nothing as clear as my Midland 300 with the telescopic antenna located on the 2nd floor of my house.

While traveling over the weekend, the radio did sound the alarm for a "Flash Flood Warning" while sitting in the cup holder (fold down console in a Buick Le Sabre), I'm not sure how far I was from the transmitter, but I do know the radio had correctly switched to a new frequency (as it should do while in the "travel" mode). The audio was very clear and easy to hear over the road noise.

I only used it for the four hours it took us to arrive at our destination, so I'll have to check the battery life some time this week.

Yes. I would say it's best used as a portable unit - exactly what I needed.
www.LFWeatherCenter.com

anything