Author Topic: Old Smart Hub  (Read 3768 times)

Offline radioman61

Old Smart Hub
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
Is there an official end of life date published for the smart hub?  I’m stuck with the access on my Atlas but have a good 5 in 1 at a remote location and that Access is nothing but a constant pain in the butt. I’m going to go back to the Smart Hub there. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Old Smart Hub
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
End of February 2019.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
Thank you sir.

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »
If you don't want to use the old smart hub, might want to look at using a SDR with a RP3.  They work fine, plus you are not limited to the amount of 433Mhz sensors you can have.

Offline graywoulf

• Snow Creek Central
  • Endeavor to Persevere
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Greetings,

I just bought and set up a pre owned Pro Weather Center myself. It came with the old smartHUB unit and I guess that I will have to upgrade by February. Being new to all of this, I have never heard of the SDR with a RP3. Would you please tell me more about it and is it an alternative to the AcuRite Access hub?

Thanks!
Acurite Iris Model: 01540

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
Greetings,

I just bought and set up a pre owned Pro Weather Center myself. It came with the old smartHUB unit and I guess that I will have to upgrade by February. Being new to all of this, I have never heard of the SDR with a RP3. Would you please tell me more about it and is it an alternative to the AcuRite Access hub?

Thanks!

You also have to wire a baro sensor to the Pi in order to have a "complete" system.

It's an alternative to the Access hub, but it will not report data to myAcurite.  Also, Atlas support isn't available yet.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks!

You also have to wire a baro sensor to the Pi in order to have a "complete" system.

It's an alternative to the Access hub, but it will not report data to myAcurite.  Also, Atlas support isn't available yet.

Still don't understand why Acurite doesn't enable a CWOP upload option on the Access... It can't be that difficult.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 06:46:34 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks!

Still don't understand why Acurite doesn't enable a CWOP upload option on the Access... It can't be that difficult.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if CWOP really wants a bunch of newbies sending data.  Or maybe Acurite is afraid of the support nightmare that might ensue when the newbies ask why they aren't passing CWOP's tests.

Does any weather station manufacturer provide CWOP reporting out-of-the-box?  Someone asked this question of Facebook and I couldn't think of any.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks!

Pure speculation, but I wonder if CWOP really wants a bunch of newbies sending data.  Or maybe Acurite is afraid of the support nightmare that might ensue when the newbies ask why they aren't passing CWOP's tests.

Does any weather station manufacturer provide CWOP reporting out-of-the-box?  Someone asked this question of Facebook and I couldn't think of any.

Davis I believe passes with the dongle. (forget the name they use for it)

You have to install your thermometer in the right place anyway, or you won't pass quality control... The QC however isn't perfect by any means, because Davis users are putting their whole arrays up on their roofs.
Acurite could just call the CWOP upload option for "advanced users". Beginners should stick to Wunderground... especially if they aren't going to read how to place their station in the correct locations.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:55:43 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks!

The QC however isn't perfect by any means, because Davis users are putting their whole arrays up on their roofs.
Do you really think that comment doesn't deserve a  :roll: :roll: :roll:...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
CW2274,
There is one particular Davis owner up in Greenville near where I live that sends to CWOP, and the pictures this person uploaded show the station on the roof. The thermometer is out of range in the summer. It makes others look off. Also to my east near Atlantic Beach, they have stations that are way off. When you try to compare your data to that mess, it is not helping anyone... At least get your thermometer right, if nothing else!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
No kidding. Just because someone owns a PWS sure as hell doesn't mean they know what they're doing with it, Davis or otherwise. As I've stated countless times before, as a whole, I pretty much condemn QC just for this very reason. If folks want to keep  ](*,) because the neighbors keep bringing them down, well.... :roll:

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »

There's a developer on the WeatherFlow support forum banging his head against the wall right now trying to sort out all of the conflicting APRS/CWOP documentation trying to figure out why his new uploader keeps failing, so I'll disagree with your analysis.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »

There's a developer on the WeatherFlow support forum banging his head against the wall right now trying to sort out all of the conflicting APRS/CWOP documentation trying to figure out why his new uploader keeps failing, so I'll disagree with your analysis.....

Thanks for that info. I had no idea it was that tough. I know Kevin Keys figured it out for the acurite smarthub, but had no idea it was all that complicated...

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
I have a RTL-SDR V3 dongle plugged into the RP3 and use RTL433 (https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433) to decode the 5+1 and various Acurite sensor data.  I also use a BME280 sensor for the pressure and AS3935 board for lightning detection and both of these are interfaced via the RP3 i2c bus. As for weather display software I use weewx.  As for the smarthub, it still should work (need pass the data to the RP3), except not being able to upload to MYAcurite after its end of life.
Greetings,

Thanks!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 10:43:31 PM »
Got any details to post Storm017?  Would be helpful.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline graywoulf

• Snow Creek Central
  • Endeavor to Persevere
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 12:46:45 AM »
Here's one place to start:  http://www.desert-home.com/2015/02/reading-acurite-5n1-sensor-set-this.html
Thanks for the link. I realized that I did know what SDR is when I clicked on the link. That is not something I want to delve into though. I just bought a new Access unit anyway.
Acurite Iris Model: 01540

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »
Got any details to post Storm017?  Would be helpful.

The RTL-SDR V3 dongle is plugged into the RP3 and RTL433 to decodes the 5+1 and various Acurite sensor data. All this data is feed into Node-Red on the RPI3. The BME280 sensor and AS3935 board data are also feed into Node-Red. All that data is published from a mosquito mqtt broker installed on the RPI3.  Using Weewx, just subscribe to these topics.

Offline n7nat

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 07:55:09 AM »
I replaced my smarthub with the Raspberry pi 3 about 8 months ago when i heard about the change, it has been working great since and you can forward your data to other sites also.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
I replaced my smarthub with the Raspberry pi 3 about 8 months ago when i heard about the change, it has been working great since and you can forward your data to other sites also.

Can you forward multiple sensor data too or just the data from the PWS?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Can you forward multiple sensor data too or just the data from the PWS?

Using weewx with the SDR driver and Acu-Rite hardware, you can write a sensor map to send any rtl_433-supported sensor as whatever reading you want.  If you have a tower sensor, you can send that as your outdoor temp/humidity in place of the 5-in-1 readings.  You may even be able to mix and match wireless sensors from other manufacturers if rtl_433 supports them, but I have not tried it.

Weewx has a limit of only one station driver (SDR driver in this case), but it does have the ability to insert additional sensor observations from other sources with some custom coding.  I personally have an i2c BMP-280 barometer module being included in my observations, since none of the Acu-Rite sensors contain a barometer that sends wirelessly for rtl_433 to intercept.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline theslydog

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »
End of February 2019.

Is there any way to re-purpose an old smart hub or is it a complete loss after Feb 2019?
It should still work with Meteobridge.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 02:44:31 AM »
End of February 2019.

Is there any way to re-purpose an old smart hub or is it a complete loss after Feb 2019?
It should still work with Meteobridge.

I'm not sure it's going to continue to work with meteobridge.  Meteobridge will need to provide certain support to keep the SmartHUB happy, like providing the time in the simulated responses from the myAcurite servers.

Other software, like AcuParse, have been updated to provide such support.

Past that, I've only heard of a few folks salvaging the radio chip for other projects.

Offline theslydog

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »

I'm not sure it's going to continue to work with meteobridge.  Meteobridge will need to provide certain support to keep the SmartHUB happy, like providing the time in the simulated responses from the myAcurite servers.

Other software, like AcuParse, have been updated to provide such support.

Past that, I've only heard of a few folks salvaging the radio chip for other projects.

Doesnt Meteobridge just packet sniff the sensor data from the passed-through TCP traffic?

Will the old hub just merrily send packets even if it is not connected to the myAcurite servers?

Or does it have to be connected to work?

Edit:
I think I will ditch the hub and try my hand at a Raspberry Pi and Weewx.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:52:32 PM by theslydog »