Author Topic: I've done it this time  (Read 1256 times)

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
I've done it this time
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:18:27 PM »
Had a power failure and came down hard. Took 4-5 tries to get the PC back up, but VWS won't run. I get the "getting archives" and then "downloading records" (I assume from the davis) and then nothing. I checked dbase.csv, it's ok, deleted todays .bin file. Uninstalled and reinstalled, no change. Renamed VWS and copied in the total backup from 2 days ago, same thing, no change. Uninstalled and installed a complete raw new install, setup the Davis, get the same archives/records message and then nothing. Ok, where is it jammed? - the registry, or is there somewhere else? I've used this for over 9 years and never seen this one.

Thanks.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
Re: I've done it this time
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »
Well? - the "duh" is all over me this time for sure. I moved VWS onto a backup PC and got everything working and patched everything up and then was checking online with the regular PC and noticed the date at the top of my web page was Sept 4, 2009? Went into the Date/Time setup and sure enough when we went down yesterday the clock reset to 2009, never saw that before, but once reset VWS is running again. So, a huge amount of work and handwrining for a rather small problem - but that's spooky.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
Glad you got it.
Yes spooky for sure.
A ups unit is a good idea to prevent power failure the cyberpowers have a utility you can install that will do a controlled shutdown at 5 mins battery power.
Randy

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
In MX anything of value was on a regulator and the PC desk was on a UPS with a soft shutdown, but I left them there.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
Hi Steve,

If this machine is 9 years old, and with the power failure resetting the date/time, it could be the CMOS battery on the motherboard may be going out.  If you are able, I would check that out, because I won't be surprised that on the next power failure, you'll have the same issue.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
It's not that old, but that was my first thought, but it should have synced sometime overnight and it didn't.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 02:43:01 PM »
The devil's in the details!   #-o
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:37:16 PM »
Whew I've had CMOS batteries mess up older machines!....

anything