Author Topic: Rearranging sensors (again)  (Read 2334 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Rearranging sensors (again)
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
As mentioned in a previous post on another thread, all these pictures of new stations going up and all these great ideas have me itching to rearrange things again.  Plus the thought of lightning and grounding and stuff.

I'll probably put all my stuff back behind the house.  However, that's going to put everything in the sun (good for the solar panels) all day.  I have the SRS 100 LX shield now, and it does an OK job.  But I think fan aspirated is the only way to go for accuracy.

Has anybody here built a solar-powered fan aspirated shield?  I know Davis sells one, but I don't know if I could modify it to contain both an OS and LaCrosse sensor.

Can you tell it's already starting to get warm and sunny around here?   =D> \:D/ =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline LeomaTNWX

• Senior Contributor
    • Leoma, Tn Weather
Re: Rearranging sensors (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:55:04 AM »
I am also looking into a solar powered fan if you have any ideas please post them. I found some 12v panels on ebay for $30-$40. I don't think I will use a battery. It just won't run at night.

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
ambient sells one:)

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »
As mentioned in a previous post on another thread, all these pictures of new stations going up and all these great ideas have me itching to rearrange things again.  Plus the thought of lightning and grounding and stuff.

I'll probably put all my stuff back behind the house.  However, that's going to put everything in the sun (good for the solar panels) all day.  I have the SRS 100 LX shield now, and it does an OK job.  But I think fan aspirated is the only way to go for accuracy.

Has anybody here built a solar-powered fan aspirated shield?  I know Davis sells one, but I don't know if I could modify it to contain both an OS and LaCrosse sensor.

Can you tell it's already starting to get warm and sunny around here?   =D> \:D/ =D>
The cost of buying a shield and wondering if you can stuff two sensors inside vs. building a mini stevenson box enclosure with a door? The stevenson "cabinet" style with a door seems so much better for access, maintenance, etc. and made to fit 2 sensors inside. Another plus is it's flat roof would be easier to mount a solar panel on to run a fan. Anyway I spill that out 'cause that's what I'm thinking on doing myself.
My 0.02 worth.
Dan

Offline Arthurhh

• Senior Contributor
  • IT Fixer
    • Tokoroa Weather Live
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:58 PM »
Did my own using a few ideas from the net.

have a look around here http://tokoroa.dyndns.org/photo1/twl/album/Weather%20Station%20Construction/index.html

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
http://www.ruralgeek.com/wpblog/?page_id=70   FWIW, I am about to build a FARS (might be solar... don't know yet) so I'll document it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!