Author Topic: Questions about creating a VWS website  (Read 1726 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
Questions about creating a VWS website
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »
I have several questions regarding building a VWS website with probably a few more questions to follow...

1)  I have Century Link Prism internet connection in central Florida.  As far as I know, it is a fast DSL connection.  Should my "Network Connection" be "Never Dial a Connection" or "Use Default Connection (LAN, PROXY)?"

2)  Which web site provider should I use?  I use Google Sites for other web sites, but I know some weather programs such as Cumulus are not compatible with Google sites.  Is VWS compatible with Google Sites?

3) What are the steps to move my web file:///C:/vws/root/wx.htm  to a website?   Yes, I did get as far as creating that file.

4)  Can the graphics of that web file I created by reorganized without getting into html code?

Thanks.

Offline HamiltonNJWeather

• Contributor
    • HamiltonWeather.Net
Re: Questions about creating a VWS website
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:42:30 PM »
1) yes. That is how mine is set up

2) depending on what you want to do with your site, research is best. I've used ICDSoft for 10 years. They are excellent

3) when you register your domain, you will get FTP instructions on how to upload files to their server

4) you have to have some kind of code (preferably PHP, in my opinion) to write your page in. Have you considered Saratoga templates? They are outstanding. 
John

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:14:09 PM »
1) yes. That is how mine is set up

2) depending on what you want to do with your site, research is best. I've used  for 10 years. They are excellent

3) when you register your domain, you will get FTP instructions on how to upload files to their server

4) you have to have some kind of code (preferably PHP, in my opinion) to write your page in. Have you considered Saratoga templates? They are outstanding.

Question #1 was a multiple choice.  You have yours set up how?  Option A:  "Network Connection" be "Never Dial a Connection" or Option B: "Use Default Connection (LAN, PROXY)?"  What type of internet connection do you have at the house, cable?  DSL?

Somewhere I got the impression that Ambient had a web server domain available for this.  But I could be wrong.  Is ICDSoft a free service?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:29:14 PM by gfmucci »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:24:21 AM »
I'm going to go through your questions one at a time but first a quick question. Are you using the VWS website creator software built-in to VWS? Second question, what make and model of weather station do you have? This will help us to answer future questions.

I have several questions regarding building a VWS website with probably a few more questions to follow...

1)  I have Century Link Prism internet connection in central Florida.  As far as I know, it is a fast DSL connection.  Should my "Network Connection" be "Never Dial a Connection" or "Use Default Connection (LAN, PROXY)?"
  • Since you have a DSL connection which is always on, try "Use Default Connection. If that doesn't work try "Never Dial a Connection"
2)  Which web site provider should I use?  I use Google Sites for other web sites, but I know some weather programs such as Cumulus are not compatible with Google sites.  Is VWS compatible with Google Sites?
  • ICDSOFT.com, 1&1.com and GODADDY.com are very solid service providers. All of them offer reasonably priced services. Be very cautious when using so-called FREE internet service providers as they rarely are full-featured and often attach ads to whatever webpages you develop. Going cheap will likely come back and bite you down the road. I use both ICDSOFT and 1&1 and have for many years without any problems whatsoever.
3) What are the steps to move my web file:///C:/vws/root/wx.htm  to a website?   Yes, I did get as far as creating that file.
  • VWS will automatically upload your files to your website. Normally, files in the "/root/" folder on your hard-drive will be placed in the "root" folder of your web domain.
4)  Can the graphics of that web file I created by reorganized without getting into html code?
  • We would need to understand how your webpage is coded to answer that fully. However, you would have to get into the HTML code of whatever webpage is created to make changes to it. As far as I know, the VWS webpage creator does not use any PHP coding which another poster mentioned.
Thanks.

As was mentioned in an earlier response, have you looked at Ken's Saratoga Templates? They are much more comprehensive that the basic VWS templates. There are lots of options for you to choose from but, as a new user of VWS, you may want to keep it simple until you understand how VWS works and flows.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:26:06 AM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:30:32 AM »
. . . shortened . . .
Thanks.
Others mentioned the Saratoga Template for VWS.

There is also my Leuven Template.
General instructions in are in the WiKi http://leuven-template.eu/dokuwiki28/doku.php?id=en:start
Adapting to your own situation is done by detailed question => select your answer screens, also explained in the wiKi
http://leuven-template.eu/dokuwiki28/doku.php?id=en:check_these_first

The one "template data" file to upload (every 5 minutes) is described here: http://leuven-template.eu/dokuwiki28/doku.php?id=en:uploadvw , this includes the VWS screenshots. The realtime files and graphs to upload, are standard files in VWS and are also described there.

VWS demo site for http://weather-template.nl/weather28/index.php?p=wsStartPage&wp=VW
The yellow box at the top expands to show other weather-programs in use. All weather-programs use the same set of scripts, only 3 scripts are different for every weather-program.

There are about 330 users of the Template,  http://support.leuven-template.eu/userlist.php?lang=en&all only two of them are using VWS.
I would love to have extra VWS users as more users mean a better template and I need US users also for VWS in the US.
If you need extra help just use the support system to ask your questions, or send an email or a PM.

Wim

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »
I'm going to go through your questions one at a time but first a quick question. Are you using the VWS website creator software built-in to VWS? Second question, what make and model of weather station do you have? This will help us to answer future questions.

Yes, I'm using the built in web site builder of VWS Version 15 p05         

Davis VantageVUE

As was mentioned in an earlier response, have you looked at Ken's Saratoga Templates? They are much more comprehensive that the basic VWS templates.

No, but I will. 

There are lots of options for you to choose from but, as a new user of VWS, you may want to keep it simple until you understand how VWS works and flows.

Absolutely I want to keep it simple.

Being on a tight budget, I'm not willing to assume any more fixed expenses - not even $5 a month for web hosting.  Apparently VWS is also incompatible with Google Sites (free), which I have been using for years for other web sites and am quite happy with.

So, I have to ask this question:  Among the "free" web hosting services, which is the one that has been most useful and easiest to use and caused the least problems hosting VWS data?

I don't have any real purpose in creating a web site other than product evaluation, experimentation to see what's involved in creating a web site via VWS, and to determine how straight forward it may be.  If I purchase the Internet Version of VWS and don't use the Web Site Building feature, I need to evaluate if there are any other features of the Internet version that are worth spending an extra $30 for.  I like the metars.  I have other programs that post to a number of existing weather web sites:  WeatherDisplay, Cumulus, and WeatherDisplay.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:43:05 AM by gfmucci »

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
Be aware that...

MANY

of free web hosting things come with hidden things...that you may never find.....

Maybe think about building your own free web server with Apache server and get a redirect address.

https://httpd.apache.org/                     .......for the server

My hosting finishes on March 2016...and,if the money tree doesnt bloom what i need well....this will be my option ;)
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
Be aware that...

MANY

of free web hosting things come with hidden things...that you may never find.....

Yes, like a digital version of "the Black Plague."  Yes, I understand.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:45:50 PM by gfmucci »

anything