Author Topic: considering move from Meteohub to Meteobrige or WD  (Read 1084 times)

Offline GeirO

• GeirO
    • www.gunnarbu.com/var
considering move from Meteohub to Meteobrige or WD
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:50:39 AM »
After som 10 years with Meteohub I am considering moving to Meteobrige or back to WD since Meteohub seams dead. I have 3 options as I see it

- stay with Meteohub until the hw/sw stops
- move to Meteobridge, Pro or Raspberry Pi
- move to WD on linux/raspberry pi

as an add-on I would like to use the 7" lcd display with Raspberry Pi as a local console, either with my web site FreshWDL or some other sw

Anyone done som compering between Meteobrige and WD before going for one of them?
Any suggestions on how to get a nice looking local console on the 7" screen ?

any help will be appreciated, I have done a lot and will continue to search with google etc

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: considering move from Meteohub to Meteobrige or WD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
I see you've cross posted to a least 3 different forum websites. I'll be interested in seeing the varying responses that you get.

A few thoughts...

- You don't mention what logger you are using, nor what brand model weather station you currently are using. This makes a difference in options available and it will also determine possible hardware upgrades to support various options. EDIT: From reading some of your other posts I see you have a Davis...but we still don't know what logger you have and if you'd consider upgrading that too.

- Your post mentions 3 options. But there really is a lot more to consider...unless you've ruled other options out for some reason. For example besides Meteobridge and Weather-Display there is also Cumulus MX and WeeWX.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 09:48:50 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline GeirO

• GeirO
    • www.gunnarbu.com/var
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 01:25:21 PM »
I am using a Davies Vantage pro 2 weather station, about 10 years old, with WeatherLinkŪ USB Data Logger with a USB to the Meteohub linux box

I went for Meteohub at the time due to being sick of pc chrashing at my cabin, some 250 km away from home, so meteohub on the small Alix linux box was very welcome, almost no problems at all, at least after I got a small UPS

I have not heard of the two other systems you mention, I will look into them.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:01 PM »
Well with the USB logger you'll be limited to just one directly connected software (unless you use unsupported software like VVP and limit yourself to old firmware an only LOOP1 data). An alternative solution is to get the Davis WeatherLink Live (WLL). The WLL will allow you to simultaneously provide live data various systems running various software. The WLL is autonomous in that it doesn't connect to your display console. It directly receives data from your ISS and optional transmitter sensors.

Thus having the WLL allows you to test your new solution while keeping your existing solution intact (USB to Meteohub). You can then test, trial, and perfect the software and even test data export/import without any downtime. You can then continue to run USB logger with Meteohub and your chosen new solution. Better yet you can test simultaneously all of the options on the table; Cumulus  MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, and WeeWX as they all can get data from the WLL. The other thing to realize is that you can have multiple installs of a given software to experiment with. Many of these software like Cumulus MX and WeeWX have extensive customization possible and sometimes things can break by experimenting. These two are open source applications. Therefore having the ability to have a production system and a test system is valuable. Reduces downtime and gives you the ability to test changes and options without risk.

But ultimately if you decide that the WLL is not for you and you just want to cold turkey cut over from Meteohub to something else then if you do choose the Meteobridge you can feed data to WD with the Meteobridge. I believe the other software can also do this but not certain, but regardless you'll be limited to just one additional software via this method, but even this capability is not the most optimal. You'd be better off with direct feed.

Do realize that if getting old archive data like you can now with your USB logger will not be possible with the WLL unless you also pay for the Weatherlink.com Pro subscription ($50/yr). With the free plan you'll be able to just get live data from the WLL which means that your logging solution software needs to stay powered in order to get data and then store or upload it elsewhere.

Since you are operating your station from a remote location the Meteobridge has a very nice built in remote access function that does not require you to mess with any firewall ports. You just turn it on (be sure to change your default password) and make note of your private meteobridge.com address and you'll be able to easily remote in with a browser.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:48:15 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline GeirO

• GeirO
    • www.gunnarbu.com/var
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:05 AM »
Thank you, I think you have pointed me in the right directions by WLL, just ordered it and I think that will give me lots of nice options. Also combined with a Raspberry Pi and 7" LCD display for lockal console. Then next I will consider all the other options, Meteobrige Pro seams nice with remote access possibillitis etc.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 09:55:43 AM »
If you are interested in the Meteobridge, since you now have the WLL I would instead suggest running Meteobridge on the Raspberry Pi. It's faster, has more storage capability, and is way more economical...same features as the PRO. Do note that you'll need a special SD card. I recommend the WD/SanDisk SDSDQED-016G-XI from Mouser.

See comparison
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Comparison
Tele-Pole

Offline GeirO

• GeirO
    • www.gunnarbu.com/var
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 11:43:58 AM »
Just two more questions, Meteobrige Pro creates the Clientraw files that I use for FreshWDL?  As for Raspberry pi, would you recomend 3 or 4?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:46:52 AM by GeirO »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
Just two more questions, Meteobrige Pro creates the Clientraw files that I use for FreshWDL?  As for Raspberry pi, would you recomend 3 or 4?

Yes, the Meteobridge RPI and PRO and NANO all have this capability.

As for the Pi...I see no point in the 3 when the 4 is barely just a bit more. You'll gain faster CPU performance which translates to a better user experience. The 4B aslo has better Ethernet and WiFi. The Pi 4B with 2 GB RAM is sufficient, but do get the WD/Sandisk SDSDQED-016G-XI 16 GB SD card if you are interested in 1 minute data.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:53:37 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »
If you go the Pi route, may I suggest you either get an industrial strength SD card or boot from USB.  I've had so many micro SD cards die that I no longer trust them for anything of value.  SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, etc.  All seem to be crap.  YMMV.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
Meteobridge on the Pi only supported by SD card (no USB HD boot supported)....but SLC type SD card use is enforced to mitigate reliability and failure. Therefore you must use on of the pre-approved SLC type SD models:
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware#Raspberry_Pi_Model_3B.2C_3B.2B.2C_4B

Those are industrial SD cards that are designed to last a very long time with tens of thousands of read/erase cycles. They use SLC (Single Level Cell) flash storage chips which are rather expensive compared to consumer grade SD cards which use many grid levels for bit storage and suffer from shorter life span usage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:30:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline GeirO

• GeirO
    • www.gunnarbu.com/var
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 04:51:16 AM »
Raspberry pi 4 with poe hat and (hopefully) a supported sd card ordered. A second raspberry pi 4 with 7" lcd in House and works well as console. So far running freshWDL but considering other options. Resolution is Just 800x480 and I want something that Will be fullscreen

anything