Author Topic: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB August 31, 2018.  (Read 19911 times)

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
Re: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB August 31, 2018.
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »
Whacking customers abruptly with an upgrade cost does seem like bad business sense... sure pissed me off.  Having said that, Acurite has been put in a very bad position by IBM who went and bought Weather Underground and then promptly messed it up in a number of ways.  My personal fantasy, based upon no information at all, is that Acurite was pushed into rushing out the Access in response to IBM's misbehavior.  Could it be that the Access has the flexibility to directly send data to other monitoring services?  If so, that could take a lot of the wind out of IBM/WU's sails who has been behaving very dictatorial. WU has recently turned around and seems to be working on getting the site working better again.  Could some "encouragement" from Acurite be behind it?

Offline John Z

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »
CBXSteve,

At this time it appears that Access interacts with WU just the same way the smartHUB does.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »
Yeah... that's the first I've heard of a wunderground angle.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:17 AM »
Having the ability to send data to other weather services has been on Acurite's roadmap, though.

They were originally planning to do that with the SmartHUB, but after finding the upgrade process wasn't so smooth, that was set aside.

Now that the Access is out, perhaps they can get back on track to add another service or two.

Thinking about that, maybe if they get another service added quickly, it would drive more people to upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:31:58 AM by nincehelser »

Offline ljohnk

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
I just got my notice. I think I'm going to stick with my old weather bridge. All I really wanted to do was keep my data local and maybe export it to Weatherunderground.

There are solutions for getting the data out of the bridge to use locally, but I wrote my own a year or so ago (as several others have). I avoided posting my code just because I didn't want Acurite trying to circumvent it by using SSL or some other method to defeat it, and wanted to wait and see if they upgraded it because of the forthcoming Atlas. However now that they want to dump the bridge, https://github.com/billfor/acurite-bridge

If using it,  make sure to set $FAKEVERSION=224 and $PARANOID=TRUE. That way no matter what acurite sends back to the bridge, it will always behave the way it has, and you will always have local data.

Look around github, there are a few others that have written code that will let you keep using the bridge that you paid money for.

I looked at your github entry and it looks interesting. I am wondering if will run on a Raspberry Pi? A few years ago I set up a Pi to intercept data from the bridge and use Weewx to send it to Weather Underground.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »
I asked Acurite about adding CWOP uploads. Never heard a word. I would not look for it with the Atlas. Perhaps the Atlas Elite is where they will build it into the display.

Offline mrudolp2

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »

i bought this several month ago and now its no longer going to work.  Acurite is ripping us off!

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2018, 09:45:31 AM »

i bought this several month ago and now its no longer going to work.  Acurite is ripping us off!

Most of us agree that asking for Ransom to maintain functionality of a recently purchased product, still in factory warranty, is at the least unethical and at the most fraudulent. Here are the steps you can take:

1. File a claim with BBB.org and ask for a refund or buyback if the unit is still under warranty:
https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/clock-dealers/chaney-instrument-co-in-lake-geneva-wi-14040087

2. File a complaint with the Wisconsin Dept of Consumer Affairs (ie where they are located):
https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/FileConsumerComplaint.aspx

3. Express your dissatisfaction at their Facebook forum:
https://www.facebook.com/acurite/

4. Do the same at their support forum:
https://support.acurite.com/acurite

5. Leave appropriate product reviews where you purchased the unit.

I can't think of anything else, unless a class action lawsuit gets initiated. If anyone has additional tips please post them here.

P.S. I'm perfectly happy using the special offer to buy the Access hub upgrade for my 3+ year old 5 in 1 station.  However paying Ransom to use the second unit I bought just last fall is totally unacceptable.

Offline gdicarlo

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »
The whole idea of the Access/ smarthub is illogical. It doesn't make sense to send my data to Myacurite to be stored, and then have to download it to my computer. It makes much more sense to have a data logger that connects to the sensor or display that you can download from. I know they sell the one display that saves data every 12 minutes, but they need one that saves it more often. That would also save Acurite a lot of money from not having to run their servers. They really screwed the pooch on this one.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
I think if Acurite wants to have a cloud option, that's fine, but they also need a way to opt out of that I agree.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »
The whole idea of the Access/ smarthub is illogical. It doesn't make sense to send my data to Myacurite to be stored, and then have to download it to my computer. It makes much more sense to have a data logger that connects to the sensor or display that you can download from. I know they sell the one display that saves data every 12 minutes, but they need one that saves it more often. That would also save Acurite a lot of money from not having to run their servers. They really screwed the pooch on this one.

Storage on myAcurite isn't much to speak of.  It only holds 31 days.

MyAcurite is more there for the function of being able to get to your most current data remotely through a website or mobile devices.  It also allows you to monitor conditions and send out alerts via SMS or email.  Note that it is more than just weather data... it supports other monitors around your house (e.g. leak detection, room temperature/humidity, etc. etc.)... things you can't report to weatherground.

The classic internal logger of the PC Connect displays is 12 minutes and is limited to 2 weeks of data.  With the Atlas they've reduced the interval to 10 seconds, and the data is logged to a removable SD Card that you supply.  One year of data works out to be about 1 Gig of storage.  The Atlas display supports cards up to 32 Gig.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:14:02 PM by nincehelser »

Offline billfor

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
I just got my notice. I think I'm going to stick with my old weather bridge. All I really wanted to do was keep my data local and maybe export it to Weatherunderground.

There are solutions for getting the data out of the bridge to use locally, but I wrote my own a year or so ago (as several others have). I avoided posting my code just because I didn't want Acurite trying to circumvent it by using SSL or some other method to defeat it, and wanted to wait and see if they upgraded it because of the forthcoming Atlas. However now that they want to dump the bridge, https://github.com/billfor/acurite-bridge

If using it,  make sure to set $FAKEVERSION=224 and $PARANOID=TRUE. That way no matter what acurite sends back to the bridge, it will always behave the way it has, and you will always have local data.

Look around github, there are a few others that have written code that will let you keep using the bridge that you paid money for.

I looked at your github entry and it looks interesting. I am wondering if will run on a Raspberry Pi? A few years ago I set up a Pi to intercept data from the bridge and use Weewx to send it to Weather Underground.

Yeah you just need a webserver or something to handle the GET request from the bridge.  The amount of traffic from the bridge is about 3 small (<1k) requests every minute, so it requires almost no resources. I run it on my pi with tons of other stuff. The other nice thing about doing it this way is that you can take the request and post it to other services that may not be supported by Acurite.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:16:43 PM by billfor »

Offline Mac005

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »
I finally got tried of their issues and waiting for their next generation product.  Saved my pennies and used them to finally get a VP2.  I should have done it sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite plans to drop support for SmartHUB Aug 31, 2018. (Now Feb 28, 2019)
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
Latest news: Support for the SmartHUB has been extended out until Feb 28, 2019.

After reviewing feedback and speaking with a number of you, we are extending the end of service/support of the AcuRite smartHUB to February 28, 2019. Our commitment to meeting the evolving needs of our customer base is as strong as ever, and we recognize discontinuing products can be an adjustment.

While we have already stopped both production and sales of the smartHUB, we recognize many of you have recently purchased the smartHUB and want to become better acquainted with My AcuRite prior to upgrading to the AcuRite® Access™.

We’ve also taken into account our customers who have smartHUB’s in second homes, elderly family member’s homes, vacation homes and rental properties and need additional time to implement upgrades in all those locations.

Customers who have a My AcuRite account and who purchased a new AcuRite smartHUB are eligible to upgrade to the AcuRite Access for the introductory price of $39.99 (plus tax and shipping) through March 31, 2018.

In January we sent you an email with a unique coupon code to upgrade to AcuRite Access at the introductory price. If you no longer have this email, you can request it to be resent.

You can learn more about our new AcuRite Access for My AcuRite here.

Thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to exceeding your expectations for years to come.

Jon Balicki
President & COO
Chaney Instrument Co.
AcuRite

https://www.acurite.com/blog/extending-end-of-service-and-support-for-acurite-smarthub.html

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
That should at least get them past the warranty issues they were creating for themselves with the first announcement. Now they need to recall the existing inventory of unsold Smart Hubs from their authorized dealers so no more of them are sold. There is probably not much they can do about used devices, auction sites like eBay, and gray market offerings.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »
Well that's what they should have done in the first place!!, what were they thinking cutting the cord this early and unannounced  :roll:
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline txbayou

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2018, 06:39:51 AM »
It's a communications bungle that they are announcing this in their blog, instead of sending out an email to account holders, which is how the smart hub end of life was announced by the anonymous "Acurite Team".

I myself, and I bet a lot of other customers, did not even know there was an acurite blog, and I am not subscribed to it. I wouldn't have known about the end of life extension unless I had read about it here.

Bottom line a lot of customers are going to be angry a second time because they didn't hear about the EOL extension, since they did not get an email about it. Earth to Acurite managers....

And, IMO it was also very out-of-touch to offer that discount on the Access hub and then make it valid for only 45 days (3/31/18) following the sudden and unexpected EOL email. (I got my EOL email on 2/14/18.) The discount offer needs to be extended too, IMO at least through the EOL of the smarthub or for that matter why not even past that?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:26:03 AM by txbayou »

Offline ljohnk

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
Here is a question that only Chaney Corporate can answer. When I bought my 5 in 1 five years or so ago it came bundled with a bridge and a unit to display the 5 in 1 readings. The $40 - $50, provided I order by the end of March, for the Access isn't bad considering the time I have had the weather station. The question I have is: suppose that they release the Atlas after March and I really like it. If is sold as a bundle would I end up with an Access I really don't need? I think it would be reasonable for Acurite to extend the deal on the Access at least to a reasonable time after the Atlas is released.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »
Here is a question that only Chaney Corporate can answer. When I bought my 5 in 1 five years or so ago it came bundled with a bridge and a unit to display the 5 in 1 readings. The $40 - $50, provided I order by the end of March, for the Access isn't bad considering the time I have had the weather station. The question I have is: suppose that they release the Atlas after March and I really like it. If is sold as a bundle would I end up with an Access I really don't need? I think it would be reasonable for Acurite to extend the deal on the Access at least to a reasonable time after the Atlas is released.

My understanding is that they are going to sell a kit that only includes the Atlas sensor and display for folks that already own the Access or who aren't interested in internet connectivity.

I suppose they'll have a bundled version with the Access, too.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

My understanding is that they are going to sell a kit that only includes the Atlas sensor and display for folks that already own the Access or who aren't interested in internet connectivity.

I suppose they'll have a bundled version with the Access, too.
I was wondering that also, thanks that should save a little bit of money.
KMIBADAX38

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that the Atlas Elite's display would contain a wireless built-in hub. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to start erroneous rumors about the Atlas Elite.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that the Atlas Elite's display would contain a wireless built-in hub. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to start erroneous rumors about the Atlas Elite.

That is true.  Since the radio communications are on a different frequency and modulation scheme with the Elite, it can't be read by the Access.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:49:35 PM by nincehelser »

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2018, 02:03:20 PM »

That is true.  Since the radio communications are on a different frequency and modulation scheme with the Elite, it can't be read by the Access.

Then I presume current sensors would not be seen by the Elite's display and their data would not be forwarded to MyAcurite. If this is the case would the Access be able to work in conjunction with the Elite's display so current sensor's would still function, or will there be a new generation of sensors?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »

900Mhz?  so the Access will be useless then, ok..

would 900mhz have better range??
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »

900Mhz?  so the Access will be useless then, ok..

would 900mhz have better range??

Yes.  Up to 1000 feet compared to 330 feet for the Atlas.  Since they are using spread-spectrum technology, they are allowed to boost the power level per FCC regulations.