Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 186054 times)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
I'm just wondering when WU are going to start blocking erroneous data and stop giving out Gold medals for wrong data!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
Maybe WU can chime in and let us know what the criteria is for the Gold Stars. Based on what I see on my stations, it may be for data that's sent out consistently; no signal or internet issues.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
It should be like AWEKAS, where erroneous data is shown to be outside limits of other weather stations in the area, and then perhaps the account is locked.

I'd hate to think WU uses that data near my station to set forecasts!

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »
Maybe WU can chime in and let us know what the criteria is for the Gold Stars. Based on what I see on my stations, it may be for data that's sent out consistently; no signal or internet issues.

I do not know what WU uses for their "Gold Star" criteria, but when I sent them data from my main station and my Bloomsky, the Bloomsky received a Gold Star almost immediately (like the next day I set it up and started sending data to them), where as my main station (Davis VP2 Pro +) sent rapid updates and regular data every 5 minutes for several years, never received a Gold Star.

It should be like AWEKAS, where erroneous data is shown to be outside limits of other weather stations in the area, and then perhaps the account is locked.

I sent data to AWEKAS for a short time until I was told my data was incorrect based on the other stations not showing the same thing. Well, for one thing the nearest station is almost 8 miles away to my northwest and sits about 400 meters higher than my station, so yes, there will be differences.

Needless to say, I no longer send data to either WU or AWEKAS.

I am sure WU uses that data to make forecasts, not to mention selling said data to other corporate clients for big money.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »

I would disagree.........my station is rural and my wind speeds are always 10-20 mph higher than all the stations in the closest city. I am 2 miles north of that city. I have open fields all around me, no neighbors. So that drops my wind chill temps. If WU compares mine to the ones in the city.....I would be locked? Haha, don't think so. All the city stations are giving false readings, they have wind blocks.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
I would disagree.........my station is rural and my wind speeds are always 10-20 mph higher than all the stations in the closest city. I am 2 miles north of that city. I have open fields all around me, no neighbors. So that drops my wind chill temps. If WU compares mine to the ones in the city.....I would be locked? Haha, don't think so. All the city stations are giving false readings, they have wind blocks.

But temperature?

my own WU webpage against another WU station nearby.  I read 6°C  he reads -17°C  and is less than 10 miles away. we dont have mountains and though we are in the middle of winter the other site is sending data to WU and WU is accepting it, and giving it a gold star. the record is -18.7°C  a while back (in over 100 years)

this other site was down to -25°C a few weeks ago. this erroneous data should not be allowed. thats all I am saying. 

Regards Simon

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1086379-are-you-a-quality-gold-star-weather-station

I think WU needs to correct more important issues first, then tighten up the QC for PWS's

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »
If they started using wind speed as criteria for QC it would knock out 95% of the PWS...Most max wind gust don't even reach the average wind speed at open area airports.
Randy

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »
@ebfletch, WUpm

Still not updating, had page open most the day..

KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Wow. I just found this thread. WU is trying to fix its site? The posts here are encouraging. I view IBM’s first priority is ensuring the data WU gets and posts is reasonably valid and useful. Fixing the Goldstar concept would be nice as right now it means nothing other than providing a good base of laughter in a separate thread in this Forum on what it means to get the WU Goldstar designation. Webcams are nice but they can be “fluffy” unless the PWS owner really cares what is being viewed in the webcam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
You need to visit more Ron.  :-) Bunch of new members since this thread started just so they could comment.
Randy

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »
You need to visit more Ron.  :-) Bunch of new members since this thread started just so they could comment.

Randy,

You are right, but I thought I was supposed to be receiving a blurb (email) from WXForum or Tapatalk indicating a new topic had been posted that may be of interest to me, or words to that effect!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
Hello.Can't change my status message from xmas.when i do chang it, and refresh old message is back.
And my summary is still blank. From nov.

Same thing here. It reverts to the old message.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
Like this one...which was reported back when Kari would respond....
@ebfletch, WUpm

Still not updating, had page open most the day..

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2018, 05:54:35 AM »
The Advertisement still showing up. Having to log off and back on. As of 1/27/2018
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2018, 07:43:27 AM »

But temperature?

my own WU webpage against another WU station nearby.  I read 6°C  he reads -17°C  and is less than 10 miles away. we dont have mountains and though we are in the middle of winter the other site is sending data to WU and WU is accepting it, and giving it a gold star. the record is -18.7°C  a while back (in over 100 years)

this other site was down to -25°C a few weeks ago. this erroneous data should not be allowed. thats all I am saying.
Both of you guys are right. But the problem is there is no way to know for sure without a physical visit to the site to determine the anomaly. I don't think WU or any other sites that we report to want to omit data because it's an outlier. We just have to accept that not everyone who buys a station is concerned with accuracy. Like it or not that's just the way it is.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
Some station readings are caused by erroneous sensor data (malfunction or poor siting) but there are also well sited stations that are reporting atypical micro-climates which deviate from average areal readings but are true to their location.

WU should be able to red flag certain types of consistently blatant erroneous sensor data by implementing appropriate algorithms. I guess they have bigger problems right now than worrying about improperly assigned gold stars.

Offline bbacon19

« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
Is it just my system or is there a general issue with Acurite Smarthub and Access devices feeding WU?  I don't see here or on Trello anything about it but folks say it's a WU issue.

Thank

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
WU does have issues but Acurite Smarthub itself has many issues. Check the FAQ for troubleshooting.  https://www.acurite.com/support/my-acurite-migration/troubleshooting
Randy

Offline leoschulz

• Riding the Natchez Trace Parkway
« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
I cannot edit the favorites line at the top of the page.  I cannot edit the status line.  There are intermittent data errors in summary information.  There is no participation rate in the graph line. (Davis Vantage Pro2)  KORNEWPO10
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:45:40 PM by leoschulz »

Offline Mac005

« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
I’ve been using WU with an AcuRite 5 in 1 for well over a year without issues.  I just replaced my pws with a wireless Vantage Pro2 through an Envoy & WeatherLinkIP.  I can receive my pws data on-line through WeatherLink just fine but not on WU.  I started by just changing the device description on WU, and using my original station ID and Key but nothing for over 5 days.   I also tried adding an additional pws with a new ID and Key but without results.  Have I left out a setup step with my new Davis or is it still on WU’s end?

Offline n4khq

« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:37 AM »
You are probably fine. I think everyone is having some issues. Sean and Ben is trying to keep WU up with duck tape. The webcam seem to have the most issues but there is issues with PWSs.

Offline Mac005

« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
I also had a working webcam, but I knew that was another story in itself.  One thing at a time.

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »
I'm just wondering when WU is going to start blocking erroneous data and stop giving out Gold medals for wrong data!

Exactly what I'd like to see. I have a station a few miles from me that reports it's 34 degrees and it's 70 outside. I've reported the station several times but WU does nothing (as usual).

The Goldstars are a joke too - you get one little short interruption and it takes it away. That program needs a revamp most certainly.

And with everything else, I mean seriously, this is ridiculous how bad it's gotten.
Basic stuff doesn't work, reporting bad stations is a black hole, support is practically non-existent unless you need help doing idiot-level things, FTP doesn't work right 3/4 of the time...I mean, good Lord...the list goes on and on...and you got only two guys using chewing gum and duct tape to keep things together on a major site. WTF?!!?

WU is extremely ripe for a new competitor to take a huge bite out of it. Someone with some ingenuity, financial backing and marketing could blow them out of the water within a year or two. Get with the station and device makers with an easy to use, royalty free API to send data and backed by a excellent website and your probably set for $$$...

Now that I'm done complaining, at least the FTP seems semi-stable this week...had less errors than usual, still a long way to go though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:08:29 PM by azchrisf »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
Very sad but also well said Chris.
Randy

anything