Author Topic: Weather station site development help  (Read 1821 times)

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
Weather station site development help
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
Just got word that WU is going to get rid of their web cam hosting. Well that's it for me. So my question is: what web hosting company do folks like the best. I know this will be wide ranging but it can't hurt and also where can a person go to find out how to setup a website.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Weather station site development help
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
When I set up mine up I had no knowledge what-so-ever other than reading various posts here on the forum.  I contacted GoDaddy (a name I recognized from their advertising) got a couple of domains and web hosting service from them.  Installed FileZilla and Notepad++ and then used the Cumulus standard template to upload my VP2w data.  Soon learned (with the great support from this forum's members) to add webcam images, etc., added other templates, and haven't stopped since. 

I've had issues with GoDaddy but overall have been fairly satisfied, and seems too complicated to make a change...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline UpstateWeather.com

• Signature
  • Contributor
    • Upstate Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
I would highly recommend MDD Hosting. I used them a few years ago for another project and loved them.  Great pricing and great performance. Reliability was near perfect. And for me, the best part was their customer service. Amazing.

With that being said, I’m actually using Bluehost right now. My wife has a blog with them and it was cheaper for me to add on to her hosting that have both. So we are using Bluehost. Cheap pricing plain and simple. Performance is so so in my opinion. But it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
Hi Paul I think I have the web hosting taken care of, my question is out of all the templates that you are using which one has performed the best for you. Which one has the fewest errors. I do have WD and was leaning towards using that for my webpage.

Thanks
John

When I set up mine up I had no knowledge what-so-ever other than reading various posts here on the forum.  I contacted GoDaddy (a name I recognized from their advertising) got a couple of domains and web hosting service from them.  Installed FileZilla and Notepad++ and then used the Cumulus standard template to upload my VP2w data.  Soon learned (with the great support from this forum's members) to add webcam images, etc., added other templates, and haven't stopped since. 

I've had issues with GoDaddy but overall have been fairly satisfied, and seems too complicated to make a change...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
Hi John,
Tough question...  I think it is personal preference on which is preferred, and you can use more than one!

They are all very reliable and each does what I expected of them so can't comment on which performs best.  I like them all and they all permit a fair amount of customizing.  On the occasions when third party sources fail or cause errors all developers quickly make applicable changes whenever that is possible.  The new HomeWeather and Meteotemplate have had more frequent updates and additions.  Saratoga likely has the most add-on scripts created and shared by others.

I don't use WD but believe it does support all of the templates to their maximum.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
Hi Paul thanks for the reply. Next question is what are all of the warnings with your komokaweather.ca site? Your site's are a great way for folks like me who are just starting out to see some of the most common templates very easy Thanks. If I were choosing right now I would go with the Leuven, I just like how it looks.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
 :oops: Not a nice view when one is trying to impress one's website :oops:

Looks like Environment Canada is misbehaving as some of the third party sources are apt to do on occassion.  I will make Ken aware if he is not already.  And thanks for mentioning.  All was fine earlier today.

Your site's are a great way for folks like me who are just starting out to see some of the most common templates very easy Thanks
And thank you for the comment.  I probably have overdone things, but it helps me to be active and learn, and also try new items and give feedback to developers.  The downfall is I don't/can't check each item that often and can miss some things not being active or not working.   I am enjoying!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
Ok, magically fixed itself before I could even press the send message for Ken's help.  Seems to have been a short term glitch at Environment Canada as another Canadian site had similar message.

Paul

anything