Author Topic: Cabling Problem  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Dal

• Climbing the cliffs of Moher in my sleep
    • The Sanctuary Weather Station
Cabling Problem
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:29:18 PM »
A few days ago, I had occassion to shift the thermo/hygro hub to a (hopefully) better position. Unfortunately the original cable wasn't long enough to reach from the hub in its new position to the console so I decided to replace it with Cat5E cable (as had been suggested to me elsewhere).
 The problem I now have is a massive slow-down in data transfer from the hub to the console. Using the change in wind speed as a reference, the original cable transferred the data to the console every 5 - 8 seconds. The Cat5 cable is taking up to 30+ seconds to transfer the same data!

Would anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and how it can be overcome? The connectors on both ends of the Cat5 cable have been redone numerous times without improvement.

Very many thanks for any help.
Gun tigeadh Solas nan Solas
dha m’ dhridhe doilleir o t’aite.
Gun tigeadh ais an Spioraid Air mo chridhe

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Cabling Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:26:12 PM »
A few days ago, I had occassion to shift the thermo/hygro hub to a (hopefully) better position. Unfortunately the original cable wasn't long enough to reach from the hub in its new position to the console so I decided to replace it with Cat5E cable (as had been suggested to me elsewhere).
 The problem I now have is a massive slow-down in data transfer from the hub to the console. Using the change in wind speed as a reference, the original cable transferred the data to the console every 5 - 8 seconds. The Cat5 cable is taking up to 30+ seconds to transfer the same data!

Would anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and how it can be overcome? The connectors on both ends of the Cat5 cable have been redone numerous times without improvement.

Very many thanks for any help.

Dal,

It sounds like the remote thermo is still sending in wireless mode, not in wired mode.

When in wireless mode, if the winds are above say 5-10mph, it will send updates about every 30 seconds. If the winds are calm, it should go back to 1 minute updates.

I would look at your cable again and make sure that the modular connectors are not somehow flipped (or maybe they are supposed to be flipped?).

Take a good look at the ends of the original cable and verify that your new cable is exactly the same.

Offline Dal

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
Many thanks for your reply. We've alternated back and forth between the original cable and the Cat5 cable a number of times and each time the results are the same. Original cable = good, quick data transfer, Cat5 = very slow transfer. We were very careful to make sure the connectors were wired correctly as per the original cable... same result. It's quite baffling for us. Short term, until this problem is resolved, I've had to move the hygro/thermo unit back to a less than optimal position solely to allow use of the original cable.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »
Many thanks for your reply. We've alternated back and forth between the original cable and the Cat5 cable a number of times and each time the results are the same. Original cable = good, quick data transfer, Cat5 = very slow transfer. We were very careful to make sure the connectors were wired correctly as per the original cable... same result. It's quite baffling for us. Short term, until this problem is resolved, I've had to move the hygro/thermo unit back to a less than optimal position solely to allow use of the original cable.

How many feet longer is the new cable compared to the old? You should be able to add a good 30-40ft.

Offline Dal

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:06:11 PM »

How many feet longer is the new cable compared to the old? You should be able to add a good 30-40ft.
The original cable is 10 metres (30ft approximately), the Cat5 is 20 metres.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:09:01 PM »

The original cable is 10 metres (30ft approximately), the Cat5 is 20 metres.

60ft might be at the outer limit depending on the type of cabling used although I would suspect it would work.

From what you are describing, it seems to be reverting back to wireless. That would imply that the power connection is not being made to the remote thermo. When the remote thermo detects the power on the cable, it sends data every 8 seconds or so.

Do you have the console plugged in to the power-pack or is it running on batteries?

Offline Dal

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »
Do you have the console plugged in to the power-pack or is it running on batteries?
I've not had batteries in it at any time. From the day I got it, it has been running cabled.

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 07:25:51 AM »
I don't know anything about the cable you are replacing (don't have a LaCrosse) but are you _absolutely_ certain that you have the wiring correct? Does it have RJ-11 on both ends? If so make sure you are looking at both ends of the cable. In some cases ait will be a crossover in others it's straight through.

If you have it wired correctly try a different length of cat5 or buzz all the wires end to end to make sure there isn't a break in one of them.

Offline Dal

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:33 AM »
I don't know anything about the cable you are replacing (don't have a LaCrosse) but are you _absolutely_ certain that you have the wiring correct? Does it have RJ-11 on both ends? If so make sure you are looking at both ends of the cable. In some cases ait will be a crossover in others it's straight through.

If you have it wired correctly try a different length of cat5 or buzz all the wires end to end to make sure there isn't a break in one of them.
The original cable is crossover and that's how we've wired the Cat5. RJ11 (4 pin) is used on both ends. About the only thing left is to wait for a friend of ours to come over and test the actual cable. Unfortunately, I don't have the instruments to do so. Tis all very frustrating... but they say that suffering breeds character :)

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »
Since it's a 4-wire connection one thing you could do while waiting for someone to test the cable for you is pop some new connectors on using the other four wires. Good odds (though certainly not 100%) that that would eliminate or confirm a broken wire as the issue.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:38:19 AM »
The original cable is crossover and that's how we've wired the Cat5. RJ11 (4 pin) is used on both ends. About the only thing left is to wait for a friend of ours to come over and test the actual cable. Unfortunately, I don't have the instruments to do so. Tis all very frustrating... but they say that suffering breeds character :)

If the original cable is crossover, and you are using it in line with another crossover cable, that's probably your problem. You need to use a straight through extension cable.

Offline Dal

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »
If the original cable is crossover, and you are using it in line with another crossover cable, that's probably your problem. You need to use a straight through extension cable.
I probably haven't explained it very well. We were replacing the original cable (flat telephone) between hub/transmitter and console with a Cat5 cable.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
The pin assignment is probably incorrect. You will need to duplicate the cable you are replacing exactly like the original. If you don't then this will probably not work. Send some photos if you have any. They always help out.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »
The Yahoo Lacrosse group has, in their files section, a pinout of the cable.  Basically the cable is just a simple phone extension cable and once you understand how those ware wired you can use any multiconductor cable to make a new cable.  Color coding of each wire means nothing, only to that particular cable.

If you put the new connectors "nose to nose" with the locking tabs either both up or both down, the colors of the wires should match.

Offline Dal

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »
The Yahoo Lacrosse group has, in their files section, a pinout of the cable.  Basically the cable is just a simple phone extension cable and once you understand how those ware wired you can use any multiconductor cable to make a new cable.  Color coding of each wire means nothing, only to that particular cable.

If you put the new connectors "nose to nose" with the locking tabs either both up or both down, the colors of the wires should match.

I'll check that out. You know, something that completely blows me away about this forum is how helpful everyone seems to be and how the attitude is quite different to another forum 'which-shall-not-be-named'. To say that I'm appreciative of all the helpful suggestions would be an understatement.

Offline Dal

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
Update:
A friend of mine came over yesterday and checked the cable with his instruments. The cable appears to be fine, both with and without the connectors... so the puzzle remains.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 04:03:19 PM »
Can you order a replacement cable directly from Lacrosse? That might be an option.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline Dal

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »
Can you order a replacement cable directly from Lacrosse? That might be an option.
I think that would defeat the purpose somewhat. The original cable that came with the La Crosse is fine. The reason why I was wanting to replace it with Cat5 was so I could move the hub/thermo/hygro unit further away from where it currently is. The original cable won't reach that far, hence the decision to change to Cat5 and a longer length.

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 08:19:40 AM »
Update:
A friend of mine came over yesterday and checked the cable with his instruments. The cable appears to be fine, both with and without the connectors... so the puzzle remains.

I'm kind of at a loss on this one then. About the only other thing I can think of to try is to experiment with the cable length to see if that's the issue. If you have enough cat5 try making a cable that's only about 10' longer than the stock one and see what happens. If it works maybe what we're looking at is a length issue.

Offline Dal

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
Update:

I'm kind of at a loss on this one then. About the only other thing I can think of to try is to experiment with the cable length to see if that's the issue. If you have enough cat5 try making a cable that's only about 10' longer than the stock one and see what happens. If it works maybe what we're looking at is a length issue.
Tomorrow, when the shops reopen here, I'll be off to Jaycar's to buy some more cable. I'm determined to beat this thing into submission :)

anything