Author Topic: Initial Setup Question  (Read 1428 times)

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
    • Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Initial Setup Question
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
Have downloaded all the zips and instructions necessary to start a rebuild-from-scratch of my site.   Have read / glanced thru Ken's instructions on setting things up, but have one question (so far)

-If I put all my variables in the settings.php, settings-weather.php, will that cover propagation of all the variable thru the saratoga script, or will I have to go into the settings in each to change them.  I suspect it will suffice in the settings, but ... just in case...

Thanks

Ken

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Initial Setup Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
The main setup is required only in Settings.php, Settings-weather.php, wxquakes.php and wxmetar.php. None is required in the support scripts. They all auto configure based on the contents of the 4 files above.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
Thank you Ken!
Confirmed what I suspected, had hoped for.    I remember having to mod each script (write or wrong, don't remember) when I did my July 2011 upgrade.

I'm going for a full new install to ensure I'm current, that things work, and then I'll be on a monthly update cycle.   No more of Damocles sword in the background....

Ken

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
Ken True  - A question for you if I may...

Configuring the wxmetars script, I noticed your example has 'interesting' fields, such as lat/lon, distance, altitude etc for the Bay Area airports.

Where /How did you get these??

Ken

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »
Use http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/find-metar.php to get your customized list of nearby metar

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline azkiwi

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
Thanks Ken, you're a bloody wiz.......

Got the basic out-of-the-box system up and running yesterday.   So much easier than trying to modify each page to include changes...   Took a bit of time to get the file permissions squared away, but it's there and waiting for me.

Still have my 'site-specific' changes to identify from the current site and include in the new site--    Things like the FWI / Chandler page, individual pages for each 'global area' regional quake maps (was surprised at just how often the regional quake maps were accessed in the old system),  external links, affiliations etc...  But now that 'i have the basic system functional, it can be done on a time available routine-by-routine basis.

Ken
Maricopa, Sonoran Desert, AZ

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
You're very welcome, Ken.  Thank you for the kind remarks :)

The distribution files always contain a complete, up-to-date set of files, and the updates page can extract any files needed to bring a site up-to-date from those distributions :)

Hopefully, it will be easier to maintain for you in the future.

Best regards,
Ken

anything