Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149414 times)

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »
the current price is $59.95, it was $79.95 yesterday
I should add... NCH's price reduction may very well be due to the efforts by Mike (Cutty Sark Sailor).

A couple days ago, after checking the price for BroadWave, I suggested (privately) he contact NCH to try to arrange a volume discount (or something similar) and I understand he did indeed contact them.

Thanks Mike,

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

I believe I've got the map up to date with all of the current streams that Mike has, including correcting the one link for Ontario.

The map below is an old WU NOAA Weather Radio map from circa 2011-2012 that I had. There are somewhere around 160-170 stations on this map(rough estimate).

The map I am using comes from an old template (WxWeb) prior to the passing of its designer, Jeff Lake.  The current map does not include Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, however, I am working to include them and will layer them onto this map when I am able. I would love to see this as filled the old WU map was.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
I have been following this but to my utter confusion :oops:

Nice to see Nick has it working.  What are the basics, and where do I start?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
Yeah, the thread got a bit 'hijacked' for awhile with "some technical stuff"  which is ok, but confusing.., but we're all in this together....
Ok..
two main ideas working... may in fact wind up as one pack, with both, or 'either or'...
John is working on a clickable map script..
I'm working 'multiplayer'... (which is currently 'restricted' use, so I can't distribute it.  Working on that issue.)
that's web presence...

Streaming is another issue.  Several of us are talking with Chris about the WxRadio.dyndns thing, and really that looks quite promising... and will help all parties. period.  I feel pretty good about it, to tell you the truth.  We'll see how it goes.
It will, I expect, simplify things for everybody.

All we're going to need is a to connect directly to your mp2 audio stream from the web page to play it on demand.
Now, if our little sub-committee and Chris decide to go for mutual benefit, the way we're thinking, it should be a step simpler

and it looks like the base for the 'main collection' in any case will simply be
http://noaaweatherradio.org
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:37:40 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
Hi Paul,

Do you have Edcast (AltaCast) installed, if so it's a piece of cake to get your stream onto this.

Let me know and I'll walk you through the process !

Just check your link, you have the player, so that's setup, maybe not enough volume (this can be checked by clicking on the VU meter in Edcast, maybe the Capitalized B in your stream mp3 name, sometimes the settings are finicky.

Nick. dw7240.com
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:49:52 PM by DW7240 »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 11:44:17 AM »
Hey Y'all, Just found this forum via another wx enthusiast who's runs the Rochester, NY station and he ask me to join in and collaborate. Let me introduce myself my name is Chris owner of Crushed Box Software I am an iOS / Android developer with some experience setting up VPS servers and MONGODB. I also am the one currently running the wxradio.dyndns.org icecast server. I see reading through forum some people have some questions. Lets chat and get to know each other.

Thanks a lot for being concerned enough to do what you did.  My only concern is how many listeners at a time can your system accommodate?   During severe weather the demand for NOAA weather radio audio on my site can skyrocket from a few listeners to at least a few dozen.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
Ok Folks,

Got Edcast installed, connected to my Midland WR-300 radio with a dubbing cord connected. EdCast sees the stream. Got the lame_enc.dll installed in the Edcast directory. Typed in the IP/URL as:  http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000/BentonAR.mp3

Put in the password, but I don't hear anything when I put the URL in the browser to listen.  Rate is set to 32kbps.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
Hi,

Can I assume you have all the required details inputted into Edcast ?

If these are correct, then typing into the browser what you have should produce a simple player mid screen and automatically play your stream.

Nicks. dw7240.com.

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering when the updated listeners map will become available ?

I think everyone involved, especially Mike and John for what's been done far, awesome job !!  =D> =D>

Nick. dw7240.com.

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
Hey Y'all, Just found this forum via another wx enthusiast who's runs the Rochester, NY station and he ask me to join in and collaborate. Let me introduce myself my name is Chris owner of Crushed Box Software I am an iOS / Android developer with some experience setting up VPS servers and MONGODB. I also am the one currently running the wxradio.dyndns.org icecast server. I see reading through forum some people have some questions. Lets chat and get to know each other.

Thanks a lot for being concerned enough to do what you did.  My only concern is how many listeners at a time can your system accommodate?   During severe weather the demand for NOAA weather radio audio on my site can skyrocket from a few listeners to at least a few dozen.

Understood, let's give it a try and see what happens. I am open to putting it on a VPS if need be. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »
We're expected to have some severe weather hit tomorrow up in the North central.

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
Ok Folks,

Got Edcast installed, connected to my Midland WR-300 radio with a dubbing cord connected. EdCast sees the stream. Got the lame_enc.dll installed in the Edcast directory. Typed in the IP/URL as:  http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000/BentonAR.mp3

Put in the password, but I don't hear anything when I put the URL in the browser to listen.  Rate is set to 32kbps.

Thanks for adding your feed! I do see your feed added into the system. However upon loading it in the browser it's just dead air. Is your cord connected from the Weather Radio's headphones or line out?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:14:48 PM by codegod »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm thinking its my router. I have a Motorola NVG 510 from AT&T U-verse. Does this need to be port forwarded for port 8000?
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »
I wouldn't think it's router since your able to connect to the icecast server. Anyone else wanna chime in to help solve this issue?

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
Now, I'm not sure. THe cable was connected to the external speaker on the radio to the Line In on the soundcard.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
Hey John,

Sounds like your connections are correct, same as mine, have you tried using headphones on the sound card, also you should be able to hear your radio over the sound cards speakers (if you have some attached) if not plug in some headphones to make sure sound is on the soundcard.

Also make sure radio volume is not too high / low.

Nick. dw7240.com.

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »
Are you seeing the modulated signal when you have the edcast program on your screen?  It should be green yellow red as you go left to right and by level of strength, and modulating with the audio.  It is at the top.   If you do, the signal has at least got to the edcast software.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:24:46 PM by satcop »
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »

Understood, let's give it a try and see what happens. I am open to putting it on a VPS if need be. Thoughts?

I got disconnected but succeeded in reconnecting.  From my end, I should have had my Radio Feed checked to automatically reconnect.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:31:52 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
Yeah, the thread got a bit 'hijacked' for awhile with "some technical stuff"  which is ok, but confusing.., but we're all in this together....
Ok..
two main ideas working... may in fact wind up as one pack, with both, or 'either or'...
John is working on a clickable map script..
I'm working 'multiplayer'... (which is currently 'restricted' use, so I can't distribute it.  Working on that issue.)
that's web presence...

Streaming is another issue.  Several of us are talking with Chris about the WxRadio.dyndns thing, and really that looks quite promising... and will help all parties. period.  I feel pretty good about it, to tell you the truth.  We'll see how it goes.
It will, I expect, simplify things for everybody.

All we're going to need is a to connect directly to your mp2 audio stream from the web page to play it on demand.
Now, if our little sub-committee and Chris decide to go for mutual benefit, the way we're thinking, it should be a step simpler

and it looks like the base for the 'main collection' in any case will simply be
http://noaaweatherradio.org

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2017, 11:07:14 PM »
Hey Mike that all sounds really good, what's your thoughts on how we can dynamically feed the new website at noaaweatherradio.org with the icecast server data.

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »
Also is there anyone here actively tracking down the WU streamers so we can get them hooked into the new system? I am reaching out to everyone I can find.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2017, 06:37:26 AM »
Hi Folks,

Thank for the tips and suggestions. I'll check it when I get home this afternoon. I've got it down to a couple of things. Either I don't have the correct cable, or the external speaker jack on the radio is gone, just not sure which. 

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline DDinTV

« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
I'm a newbie here.  Happened to find this site while searching for info about WU's now-defunct NOAA Radio streams.  Being both a weather enthusiast and a broadcaster, I made great use of WU's streaming service, and am really sorry to hear that they've apparently decided to end this service.

I am, however, happy to see that the streaming community is stepping up to the plate to keep this going, and I commend everyone here for putting in the time and effort to make it happen!  I live in an area that was a null for my local NOAA station (Onondaga, MI) until NWS upgraded their transmitter last year.  I know what it's like to depend on these streams when a radio signal isn't available.  By providing these streams and providing a workable platform, you guys are doing valuable work that will help a lot people and perhaps even save lives.  Keep up the great work!

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
If you're streaming at 16 Kbps, 250 users would equal 4 Mbps of outgoing data your server would be pushing. As long as your internet connection has that capacity for upload, you'll be doing good. Of course, I know some folks are streaming at much higher bit rates, which will either significantly increase your speed requirement or significantly reduce your listener capacity (250 users at 64 Kbps would require 16 Mbps of upload speed).

If you have an internet connection with an upload speed of 2 Mbps or less, I would highly recommend both a low bit rate stream (so as to leave more internet speed available for you to use) and to use an outside server... you're not going to be able to handle a surge of users from a server running at your home.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any free streaming audio server providers (at least that will currently accept NWR streams; I've tried pushing RadioReference/Broadcastify, but they seem unwilling to accept NOAA Weather Radio streams on their service). The hosting service I'm paying for costs me $5/mo for a full Linux virtual private server... I can provide more numbers/info if desired.

For mine, 250 is probably a number I'll never reach, probably more like 100 to 150 max on a severe weather day.  I've thought about setting up Icecast on a outside server, but I want to see how it goes with what I have first.  If I get to the point where it's too much, I might do that.  I already have an outside server for other purposes at Linode (https://www.linode.com/pricing), which is a fairly inexpensive option for what you get (as low as $5 a month).

Ok, I decide to switch my Icecast server to a Linode instance with 3TB a month of transfer, hopefully that will be enough, I can't imagine I'll use anywhere near that for one weather radio stream, but we'll see because that's in/out and a constant stream in will add up.  I switched things around as I was using it for something else and wasn't using anywhere near the 3TB a month, so I added another $5 a month one for that and am using the other one for Icecast.  I switched around my DNS so that no changes need to be made since I now have Tunein pointing to it. 

http://tunein.com/radio/NOAA-Weather-Radio-16255-s88255/

Hopefully it all works out.

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Hi Tim what feed do you provide?

anything