Author Topic: La Crosse 28xx stations, Heavy Weather, WUHU and wind gust speed  (Read 9333 times)

Offline WeatherCat

I have had a WS2810 weather station uploading to WunderGround via WUHU for a while now and I'm not happy with the wind gust reporting. The problem is that La Crosse's Heavy Weather software doesn't include the actual gust information in the currdat.lst file that WUHU uses to get the data. I just sent a support request to La Crosse asking that they add it to the file so that we can get better data uploaded to WunderGround.

If you too would like this to be improved can you submit a request to La Crosse as well? (The more of us that ask the more likely that they will add it.)

Here is a link to submit a request: https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/support/contact.php

Thanks!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: La Crosse 28xx stations, Heavy Weather, WUHU and wind gust speed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »
I'm seeing my wind gusts being reported to WU using a ws-2810 and WUHU reading the currdat.lst file. Is this different from what you're talking about?

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
Compare the gust information that HeavyWeather shows with what WUHU is calculating. (If you look in the file you will see that gust data isn't reported.)

In my case HW reported 8.3 MPH @ 12:14 AM, while WUHU reported 4.7 MPH.

Essentially I think WUHU is taking the wind speed that the console provides and is determining what is "wind" and what is a "gust" on it's own, but the console has already done that. I think that because of that we end up under reporting our wind.

For instance I have whole periods where WUHU reports only gusts, no wind. But if you look in Heavy Weather you will see both wind and gusts.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:07 PM »

You are correct that the gust field is not present in the currdat.lst written by HW. WUHU uses the highest wind speed over the past 10 minutes to simulate gust which is not great but better than reporting no gust at all.

Offline SiGGy

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
Thanks for posting this; I picked up a 2812 and installed it this weekend and noticed the gust discrepancy after about 48 hours.  I was about to write the WUHU author an e-mail asking about it.  Seeing as how the author responded in this post it saved both of us some trouble.

It's unfortunate the data isn't there and or WUHU can't read directly from the 2812 and gather the data itself.  Is there any plans to get WUHU to directly read from the 2812 (or other wireless USB) series?

thanks again!

... I sent feedback to LaCrosse.  Hopefully it helps.

-David
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:38:58 AM by SiGGy »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »

Deciphering the protocols of these stations is very difficult and time consuming. Unless someone out on the Internet reverse engineers the protocol and publishes it, I cannot really invest the time to support these stations. If you happen to find someone that has deciphered the protocol, let me know and I will take a look at it.

So far, various people on the Internet have decoded the and published the OS model protocols (WMR100, WM200, and others) as well as earlier La Crosse WS-23XX and WS-36XX protocols. Sooner or later someone out there will do the same with these WS-28XX versions. Until then, we are pretty much stuck with this file monitoring of currdat.lst.

Oregon Scientific and La Crosse have always kept their protocols under wraps for whatever reason. Like many companies in the world that sell hardware, they convince themselves that somehow, some way, their own software might someday lead to a revenue stream that rarely, if ever, materializes. The next time you contact La Crosse, you might complain about the this, who knows, with enough people complaining they might change their ways.

Davis and Peet Bros (and others) were wise to release their protocols and DLLs that assist software developers. Personally I would rather spend a couple of extra bucks to get a quality product that is open for software than something produced in China and kept closed to the software development community.

Offline gwfrench9

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
I just sent my 2811 back to the company because of the rain issue Im wondering about the 2812 with its rain sensor?? have they figured out the doubling issue? Yes the wind direction and speed were a bit off and the reporting was off on Underground Weather. As the fella keeps telling us if you want good figures than spend the extra money and get quality. Im also the one that jumped at the lower price and now have a second chance on getting a quality station. Just have to save up my pennies and do a little more research.

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
I just sent my 2811 back to the company because of the rain issue Im wondering about the 2812 with its rain sensor?? have they figured out the doubling issue?

As far as I can tell the 2812 appears to have resolved the rain doubling issue.

I agree that if you want the really accurate data then you need to pay more and get something like a Davis, but the La Crosse stations can be very decent especially for the price at Costco. I think with just a little more effort, and some better QA, La Crosse could make it an even better value.

Offline pschnell

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Hello,

I search on person if agree to test my weather sofware with the new Ws2812.  this sofware is in first french but you can change in english language.

If you wand post me a MP

phs (www.epegard.net) - software : www.epegard.net/mises_a_jour.html

Best regards

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:19:20 AM »
I also made a request to La Crosse that the gust data be included in the file!

Offline ZimcoComp

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »
I also got a good price on a 2308, but it has cost me a lot in aggravation. I bought it in Oct. and it still does not indicate wind speed except 0.0. It has been sent back twice so far which I paid for one. Both times they said they replaced the wind sensor and tested the new one. Everything else seems to work pretty well. I don't know how to handle my dissatisfaction with LaCrosse.

Offline pierce

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:39:33 AM »
FWIW, the 2812's Heavy Weather Pro 1.5 *does* include the gust in the history.dat file it writes, but not in the currdata.lst

Offline SiGGy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
FWIW, the 2812's Heavy Weather Pro 1.5 *does* include the gust in the history.dat file it writes, but not in the currdata.lst

It would be neat if WUHU could be patched to grab it out of the history file.

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
Patching to the history file for Gust data (only) would certainly be better than what we have now (nothing!)  But, because the history file only updates once every minute (at the fastest setting possible), anything tied to it would only update every one minute.  So, if La Crosse does anything, I hope it is to the currdata file (which updates 5 or 6 times per minute!)

I recently sent an email question to La Crosse about my 2812 (when I reset the "Total Rain" accumulator, the display/computer screen readouts do reset to zero but, the history file does not reset to zero, causing my graphs to be wrong - they answered that you must reset to zero and then create a new history file so as to eliminate the earlier data from the file and any graphs) and also suggested updating the software so that the currdata file includes gust data for folks like me that use WUHU to upload to WU.  In their reply, they said the would take my suggestion into consideration for future software updates.  We'll see.  At least they acknowledged the request!