Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 wireless  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Rickoo

Vantage Pro 2 wireless
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »
So, I've had the original Vantage Pro wireless for about 10-12 years and it worked pretty well. Recently the anemometer began making a whining/vibrating noise that's more than annoying. It's mounted on an antenna mount on the gable end of my house. I can hear the vibrating in a bedroom about twenty feet away. Think I need a new anemometer.

Being that the Vantage Pro is so old, I'm thinking I'll just update the whole thing. I'm surprised Davis hasn't updated this system in such a long time. Hate to buy the VP2 just to find a new, updated model shortly after. (That's what happened when I bought the VP1)

Anyone know if there is an update coming in the near future?

Any suggestions on other models to look at? A color screen sure would look sweet.

Thanks!

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
Re: Vantage Pro 2 wireless
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »
I doubt Davis comes out with anything other than upgraded parts to their VP2 in the near future. The 2016 catalog mentions nothing about a VP3, only big thing about this year is they upgraded their temp/humidity sensor to an SHT31 from an 11 (much more accurate). I can only hope my VP2 (installed late February of this year) will last nearly as long as your VP1 did. I'm also not sure I'd wait for a VP3 - could be years away. If I were you, I'd go for the VP2. Your VP1 had an amazing run. Many weather station owners would be ecstatic to have theirs last as long as yours has!
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 09:36:42 PM »
harrumph....

Offline Rickoo

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
Thanks. Looks like I'm in the market for a VP2. Any suggestions on where to get the best price?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »
Uhhh.. Google?  Or Ryan at Scaledinstruments.com
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »
Uhhh.. Google?  Or Ryan at Scaledinstruments.com

You can't go wrong with Ryan at Scaled Instruments. His pricing is great and he really knows the Davis product line. I am a big fan of Davis quality and parts--see my discussion elsewhere in this Forum here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=30175.new;topicseen#new

I am also a big advocate of Davis rolling out a VP3, a concept discussed in numerous threads in this Forum, but I will probably die of old age before that happens. The good thing about Davis, they enhance the product with tweaks rather than wholesale changes, like improving the temperature-humidity sensor, adding bird spikes to the rain collector, etc., but the VP2 is dated technology, particularly its related WeatherLink software that looks like it was written for Windows 95.

See some of my further thoughts on the VP3 here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29887.msg295442#msg295442

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:50:09 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »
The good thing about Davis, they enhance the product with tweaks rather than wholesale changes, like improving the temperature-humidity sensor, adding bird spikes to the rain collector, etc., but the VP2 is dated technology, particularly its related WeatherLink software that looks like it was written for Windows 95.

Well of course Davis may well have concluded that updating WL (for Windows) is simply not a priority for them and they would rather spend their development dollars somewhere else. WL is still a good workhouse package, if cosmetically dated. But it's not as if there aren't plenty of other compatible packages like Cumulus, WD etc and very possibly Davis have decided that they don't need to compete in that space and that the future is in the cloud. We'll have to see what the much-delayed upgrade to weatherlink.com actually delivers when it arrives.

(Of course I could be completely wrong and maybe a brand new version of WLfW will be released next week, but I kind of doubt it - I rather think that Davis consider WLfW as a dated approach to presenting weather data and that what comes next will use different technologies like the cloud.)

If I had to put money on anything I'd suggest that the ISS will stay much as it is (though it would be nice to have an easier way of separating rain gauge and radiation shield and a better calibrated rain gauge).  The big unknown is whether the wireless technology makes a jump to something else like Zigbee, in which case that might be associated with a complete rethink of the console/logger unit.

But just to repeat, we've still heard nothing, not even early rumours, of a VP3 so I doubt that it will appear in 2017, though might conceivably know more after the Madrid AWS trade show in about 4 weeks' time.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:24:45 PM »
Updating WL?  It might cost 10-15K.  At the worst.  They probably decided not to be in the SW business.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
Updating WL?  It might cost 10-15K.  At the worst.  They probably decided not to be in the SW business.

I think you are probably right. Davis may well get out of the software business. The current Weatherlink software release for Windows is version 6.0.3, dated August 27,2012, (many moon ago in my book) near the release date of Windows 8.  No enhancements for Windows 8.1 or 10 since then, and I discovered that my uploads to CWOP no longer "rotate" among servers like they should (and did when using Windows 7), a glitch presumably because I am using Windows 10! As clunky as Weatherlink is, I use it because I know where to find stuff. Suggestions for a replacement including the ability to migrate all of my data to the new software and the ability to export recorded amounts to Excel for charting, graphing, or whatever?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:54:09 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »
Updating WL?  It might cost 10-15K.  At the worst. 

Aren't we all agreed - WL needs a complete rewrite, probably from the ground up if there's to be anything other than minor incremental changes? A complete rewrite would cost a lot more than 15K - 1-2 man-years maybe, if not more, for a radically improved new version. I suspect that's the problem - a token effort at a rewrite would likely be wasted money

They probably decided not to be in the SW business.

That's not what I said. There's a lot of effort going into cloud software AIUI (ie wl.com - on the AWS platform I suspect), although little to be seen in public as yet. My contention was that very possibly they have decided to get out of major rewrites to Windows software, ie beyond minor maintenance as required on WLv6.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:12:22 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
Updating WL?  It might cost 10-15K.

I'm curious what you think is functionally wrong with WL, that needs to be fixed.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »

I'm curious what you think is functionally wrong with WL, that needs to be fixed.

Well for one, it needs to work better with Windows 10 (see my post above), but more importantly, it looks clunky--the same as it did when I bought my first PWS over ten years ago. What other software on the market, besides WeatherLink, looks like it did 10+ years ago? Not being a software designer, my speculation is the inner workings of WL are very old too.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »

The functionality is great.  Needs a more modern interface with easier/better user  config and less of a hodge-podge of programming languages.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »

The functionality is great.  Needs a more modern interface with easier/better user  config and less of a hodge-podge of programming languages.

The reports function needs a complete and major overhaul. I would like to get highs and lows by month or day (temperature, humidity, dewpoint, heat index, wind chill--pick a variable) from when I first started using my PWS in May 2005, comparisons by year, month, date selected period, etc., etc. The data is in the software now but how to find it, use it and display it is highly desirable. And exporting to Excel for graphing or charting would be nice, and to be honest, necessary!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:38:42 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »

The functionality is great? Do you live in Colorado or Oregon and been smoking the weed? It is horrible! See my prior posts for suggestions!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
You do understand form vs function, right?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »

I do understand, but I believe the functionality is still horrible!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »

Would you please summarize what functionality is horrible.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:47 PM »

Would you please summarize what functionality is horrible.

See post 13 above.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 03:59:59 AM »
I would like to get highs and lows by month or day (temperature, humidity, dewpoint, heat index, wind chill--pick a variable)
All this plus more available via the Plot option, variables like Temperature does have text formats

.... when I first started using my PWS in May 2005, comparisons by year, month, date selected period, etc., etc.
So the Plot/overlay option doesn't meet your requirements?

.... And exporting to Excel for graphing or charting would be nice, and to be honest, necessary!
Maybe you should try Browse records/Export/ one has been able to export in Excel.csv type format for a very long time!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
NOAA reports hand;e a lot of what is being asked.  Or it is easy-peasy to write a tiny .HTX file to get whatever you want and dump the data.  Ditto for creating a CSV - just put comments in the fields to be written out.

Like I said - what do you want for free?  If you are super keen, then just  write all your data to an SQL database and  plot using Tableau, etc.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
I would like to get highs and lows by month or day (temperature, humidity, dewpoint, heat index, wind chill--pick a variable)
All this plus more available via the Plot option, variables like Temperature does have text formats

.... when I first started using my PWS in May 2005, comparisons by year, month, date selected period, etc., etc.
So the Plot/overlay option doesn't meet your requirements?

.... And exporting to Excel for graphing or charting would be nice, and to be honest, necessary!
Maybe you should try Browse records/Export/ one has been able to export in Excel.csv type format for a very long time!

Ok. I just got frustrated with the software--but when in the browse mode, all I can figure out is how to export to a txt file, not  a csv. file. However, the software is clunky looking and isn't at all user friendly, but many of the features I want are there if you can figure out the maze--true with any software though. My mistake, but clearly, Davis isn't putting its resources on making the software more user friendly. The current version is over 4 years old--eons in the software world. All this said, when we buy Davis products, they stand behind them and if you call their support line, they are very helpful, even if your product is 10 years old! How many companies do that, particularly without a fee?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 06:03:54 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 08:33:46 PM »
  Needs a more modern interface with easier/better user  config and less of a hodge-podge of programming languages.

...and it looks clunky and it would be nice to have a complete big-data analysis capability (which would have a complex user interface).

Anything else?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
  Needs a more modern interface with easier/better user  config and less of a hodge-podge of programming languages.

...and it looks clunky and it would be nice to have a complete big-data analysis capability (which would have a complex user interface).

Anything else?

How about eliminating the US national debt? Seriously, Bushman has some good ideas but an underlying concept would be to ensure the software stays current with new releases of Windows, for example. That means, posting updates to the software when glitches occur, which likely means updates 2 or 3 times a year--something that Davis no longer (if they ever did) does.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »
.... underlying concept would be to ensure the software stays current with new releases of Windows, for example. That means, posting updates to the software when glitches occur, which likely means updates 2 or 3 times a year--something that Davis no longer (if they ever did) does.

What glitches are you referring? Ever thought there may not have been any glitches in the past few years? Not much point in posting updates 2 or 3 times a years if there is nothing to update? Or maybe you are referring to some software companies that bring out a new release every year and about the only change is in the name version which may give some a warm and fuzzy feeling but underlying the software is no different but expect to charge you for the privlidge.