Author Topic: Updated GOES-East HAniS and GIF Animation Scripts  (Read 2198 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Updated GOES-East HAniS and GIF Animation Scripts
« on: May 25, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
I've not checked the full functionality of the GOES-East scripts in some time.  There have been some changes in that the 'Truecolor' series of images has been replaced by an 'AirMass' series of images.  Also, the Animated GIF sectors now includes Canada.

Updated versions of both the HAniS-based and the Animated GIF GOES-East scripts are now available on my web site.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
Re: Updated GOES-East HAniS and GIF Animation Scripts
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
Similarly the GOES-West (aka 17) images have been revised by removing 'TRUECOLOR' and adding 'AirMass' views.

The HAniS-Animated and the Animated-GIF scripts have also been updated, and are available.

Please let me know here if you have problems with any of these scripts.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:11:30 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
I downloaded the update for GOES East and changed my "Sector" to ne "SatBand" to GEOCOLOR on alll the scripts, is there anything else that needs to be changed? After uploading, the page loads the title and nothing else. I mus t have missed something! I have reverted back to the previous files. I see the sub-directory has changed. I did upload that also. When I get this working should I delete the old sub-directory?

Thanks,
John
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 09:30:36 PM »
I downloaded the update for GOES East and changed my "Sector" to ne "SatBand" to GEOCOLOR on alll the scripts, is there anything else that needs to be changed? After uploading, the page loads the title and nothing else. I mus t have missed something! I have reverted back to the previous files. I see the sub-directory has changed. I did upload that also. When I get this working should I delete the old sub-directory?

Thanks,
John
Re-upload the original iframe file, wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php, and include file, inc-wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php.  You don't need to modify anything in them because the main script sets the defaults for $satBand and $sector.

After you've uploaded the original two files above you should be able to view their output using their default settings:
http://scannorthcounty.net/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php and
http://scannorthcounty.net/inc-wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php

These components MUST display correctly before the script will work.  Bear in mind that none of the drop-down menu options will function outside of the main script which contains the jQuery script that makes it all work.

Here are the updated supporting scripts on my site:
https://www.gwwilkins.org/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php and
https://www.gwwilkins.org/inc-wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php

Once you have verified that the supporting scripts are working correctly, carefully edit ONLY the $satBand and $sector in a fresh copy of the main script and upload it to your website.  If it doesn't work, leave it up so I can help troubleshoot it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:33:27 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
OK, Made those updates and everything is working as it should. Jerry Thanks for the assistance and great scripts

John

John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
I've not checked the full functionality of the GOES-East scripts in some time.  There have been some changes in that the 'Truecolor' series of images has been replaced by an 'AirMass' series of images.  Also, the Animated GIF sectors now includes Canada.

Updated versions of both the HAniS-based and the Animated GIF GOES-East scripts are now available on my web site.

How do I adjust the width so it won't overshoot the frame?
https://stillwaterweather.com/satloops

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »

How do I adjust the width so it won't overshoot the frame?
https://stillwaterweather.com/satloops
Potentially solving this problem wasn't quite trivial, but I think (i.e. hope) that the attached test zip will work for you.  I see that you are using the Stand Alone script, and I've tested the attached SA script with your 1205px width.

I've added a $restrictWidth switch, true in the test scripts, along with a $maxWidth setting, 1205 in the test scripts.  Fortunately HAniS allows for resizing the images automatically using a 'window_size' parameter.  Again the only active settings to be changed are in the main script.

Let me know if this works for you, or not.  I will then remove the -test parameters.

EDIT:  ZIP removed because updated ZIP is available on my website.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:59:55 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 11:03:12 PM »
Yes, it works.  Thanks you!

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 11:30:59 PM »
Yes, I see that it does work on your site, Bunty.  Thanks!

A revised GOES-16 HAniS Loops script without the -test parameter is now available on my scripts page.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
I was unhappy with the way this script was displaying the images!  There was a centering issue, vertical distortion of the images, and the image squares plus the optional image Date/Time weren't displaying.

I think these problems have been corrected in the latest zip on my site.  I've added another setting, $addTimePixels, that proved essential in solving the distortion and failed image square & Date/Time display.  Turning off the iframe's Date/Time display is easy enough by setting '$addTime = false;' in the main script.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:19:03 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 01:06:26 AM »
There's a new GOES16-HAniSLoops zip on my scripts page.  I added Full Disk, Canada, Mexico, and Northern/Southern South America to the scripts.

I actually prefer the HAniS GOES scripts to the GOES GIF loops scripts because they display fewer images, load faster and they give the viewer greater control.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
I have finally updated the GOES16 script and I am getting nothing. I have checked to make sure I got all of the settings but I still have nothing.    http://www.peotoneweather.com/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 05:24:21 PM »
The error message in the console is 'Satellite Images Currently Unavailable', so the HAniS-based iframe script isn't working.

Hmmm...  I don't see anything amiss with the scripts on your web site.  Be sure you have the HAniS directory in the root of your web site, and be sure it's named HAniS because hanis with version numbers won't do the trick.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »
Ok. I have confirmed the updated HAniS files are in the root in a folder named HAniS. But no luck.

I have loaded the GIF file for GOES16 and 17 and they are working perfectly. For now i will use the GIF script.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:35:52 AM by dasman »
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
The GIF Animation Script doesn't use HAniS animation.  The NESDIS servers create the animated GIF's that are displayed by my script.

Separating out the components of your HAniS error is possible by calling the iframe script directly: http://www.peotoneweather.com/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php

As you can see, after grinding away your server comes up with nothing.  Check the server's permissions for the 'function get_data($url)'s required remote data access.  There are some PHP variables that need to be set, particularly 'allow_url_fopen'.  It has been quite a while since I wrote this, and exposure to 'twilight anesthesia' (Propolol) twice in the past month for cataract surgery has left my memory still somewhat foggier than usual (but it's improving).  Due to a loss of my boot partition on this computer and during a Win10 reinstall I recently installed 'WAMP64' in place of the outdated WAMP I was using.  The HAniS-based scripts run on WAMP64 with no PHP setting modifications from the default, which includes 'allow_url_fopen'.

On the bright side, I can see much better. :-)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »
How do i check this "function get_data($url)'s ". In my php5ini i have  "allow_url_fopen".
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
Be sure in PHP's extensions 'curl' is checked/on.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
I do not see anything in extensions about curl. But there is a spot in there that I can install the following "Net_Curl (1.2.5)" Is this what I need to do or is there something else?

It says in the description that "Net_Curl provides an OO interface to PHP's cURL extension"

If it helps I am on GoDaddy and I have cpanel.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:37:43 PM by dasman »
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1

Offline kplew

• Plew Farm Weather
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2019, 07:53:19 AM »
So I'm having the same issue 'filenames = Satellite Images Currently Unavailable! 

Curl looks to be enabled and the script worked for some time.
https://www.plewfarm.com/weather/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php

I have phpinfo installed

https://www.plewfarm.com/weather/wxphpinfo.php

Thanks for any help.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
This is a frustrating problem for those who are afflicted with it, and at this point I'm not very helpful about solving it.  At best I suggest that you use the GIF animations and for now forego the HAniS animations.  It's apparent that for some reason this function is falling over:
Code: [Select]
/* Begin Function get_data */
function get_data($url)
{
  $ch = curl_init();
  $timeout = 5;
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0);                 // don't verify peer certificate
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 8);                        //  data timeout
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_NOBODY, false);                     // set nobody
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, true);                      // include header information
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERAGENT,'US Ridge Radars/1.1 (Web Application, www.gwwilkins.org)');
  curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_URL,$url);
  curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);
  curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT,$timeout);
  $data = curl_exec($ch);
  curl_close($ch);
  return $data;
}
/* End Function get_data */
I'm still having severe balance issues that make it difficult for me to function in just my activities of daily living, but once my equilibrium has been restored I'll try to swap in another 'curl' data fetch function that I know is out there.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline kplew

• Plew Farm Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »
Sounds good- feel better!!

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
GoDaddy, September, cURL - sounds familiar ...
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
GoDaddy, September, cURL - sounds familiar ...

NOAA URL? cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov -- check!

Anyone having this problem that ISN'T on GoDaddy???

If you are on GoDaddy, trying to add this line just before the curl_exec call in wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RESOLVE, array("cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov:443:140.90.107.146"));
  $data = curl_exec($ch);

https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline kplew

• Plew Farm Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
Got this when I tried it. - On godaddy.

Warning: curl_setopt() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /home/content/95/7296695/html/weather/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php on line 406

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »
Got this when I tried it. - On godaddy.

Warning: curl_setopt() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /home/content/95/7296695/html/weather/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php on line 406

Huh. One thing I see is you also added the curl_exec that I put there just to show where to insert the line:

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RESOLVE, array("cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov:443:140.90.107.146"));
  $data = curl_exec($ch);  <=============== remove this!
  $data = curl_exec($ch);

So get rid of one of those.

Otherwise, CURLOPT_RESOLVE is valid as of PHP 5.5.0 and you are on 5.6.27... I highly recommend getting on a 7.x.x release but this should work.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

anything