Author Topic: davis weather monitor 2 pc hookup  (Read 6962 times)

Offline sailorand

davis weather monitor 2 pc hookup
« on: November 06, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »
how do I hook up my weatehr monitor to my pc. What is the pin out from the Monitor and would I use the com port of the computer to input.
tnx Rand

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
Re: davis weather monitor 2 pc hookup
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
You will need to add the optional datalogger kit. It connects your console to the pc. It also comes with software.
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=07862

Offline sailorand

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
I realize that I could get the data logger, but I could make my own if I knew the pinout of the weatherlink plug on the back of the Weather monitor 2 :grin:

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
the data logger is more than just a connection to the PC... It is a datalogger, it has commands, several processors,  memory etc...

Making your own would not be a trivial undertaking...
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »
I realize that I could get the data logger, but I could make my own if I knew the pinout of the weatherlink plug on the back of the Weather monitor 2 :grin:
The data logger is needed to act as an interface between the WMII and your computer.  The data the WMII dumps out of the connector is not something that could be plugged directly into a computer (shrewd marketing by Davis to get the extra bucks from an accessory ;) ).
Joe Torsitano

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »
shrewd marketing by Davis to get the extra bucks from an accessory

I really think people are looking at this the wrong way... I kinda of think of it as a very smart manufacturing decision.

If I were a dealer, they are doing it exactly the way I would want them to do it.

While most of us think of connecting to a computer, Davis actually makes a number of different data loggers that do different things.  They all plug into the same "generic" port which kept the costs of designing the Console down. 

It allows them to have more options with less cost overhead using the same console.

The three on their website now are (I've been told they have other custom ones as well):

Part#06544
Part#06510USB
Part#06510SER

If done the way that you are suggesting they do it, they would have to have at least 3 different consoles.  That would greatly increase the complexity of stocking the various units and bundles they provide for both manufacturing and for their vendors as well.  Basically you would have to multiply everything by 3 or simply not stock some of them.

They way they have it now, they can bundle packages with the same console and the consumer can get what they need for communication assuming they even want any communications.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:13 PM »
And, they have memory. When the WeatherLink was first developed, the Internet was a weird geeky niche, there was no broadband, and no one ran their computers 24/7. The logger saved the data until the next time the computer was booted, and then you ran the program to download the data and archive it.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »
While most of us think of connecting to a computer, Davis actually makes a number of different data loggers that do different things.  They all plug into the same "generic" port which kept the costs of designing the Console down.
But when I bought my first WMII nine years ago they only had one kind.  ;)

Considering it has the storage and such it really is a good deal.  But, for those on a budget, it would have been good if either they used a communication standard where cords could be self built (without the storage) or sell different kinds of cords to go directly from the unit to your computer.  That may have made manufacturing the logger more, so it wouldn't work out in the end... I don't know.  When I bought my WMII I paid $349 for it and then I was going to have to spend another $100 to get it to talk to my computer.  The cost ratio was much different than it is with a VP2+.

Joe Torsitano

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »
Another reason why they built it this way.... a new datalogger is about to be released....

http://www.weatherlink.com/faq.php#whatis

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:21:59 AM »
This is definately a bonus...
And, they have memory. When the WeatherLink was first developed, the Internet was a weird geeky niche, there was no broadband, and no one ran their computers 24/7. The logger saved the data until the next time the computer was booted, and then you ran the program to download the data and archive it.

By having the data logger you have a backup location to store data. This works great during power failures, provided you have a battery in your station. This feature has saved data countless times during power outages or computer problems. Plus you get to chose your own archive interval which effects your storage capacity. Overall the data logger is a great add on product and the acompanying software options give you many options ;) My original WMII and data logger are still performing well after 13 years of constant use and stills works well as a backup station for my newer Vantage Pro2+

Jeanette
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:28:45 AM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:20:06 PM »
Another reason why they built it this way.... a new datalogger is about to be released....

http://www.weatherlink.com/faq.php#whatis
Says the unit will... "Automatically upload data to third-party weather sites including CWOP (Citizen Weather Observer Program), the GLOBE Program, and more."  I wonder what other sites are included in the "and more"?  Actually my question is which site was probably NOT included again?  ](*,)  :?
Joe Torsitano

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
the Internet was a weird geeky niche, there was no broadband, and no one ran their computers 24/7.

You are correct. Those were the days when a BBS was a real "BBS".  ;)

Sorry, back to the program at hand......

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
Joe you have to grease those wheels. :-)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 05:19:55 PM »
Joe you have to grease those wheels. :-)
Oh it's not like I haven't tried for years.   ](*,)

I sent an e-mail to Davis support yesterday and got a reply with the tone of course they're not going to add support for weatherforyou.com.  :-x  ](*,)  I'm still waiting for a return call from their head of customer support (I called him yesterday afternoon).  This troubles me because it's not like I can write or have written an interface to this device like I can WeatherLink.  If they don't put it in it's not there.

What's really annoying is they won't say why they won't support weatherforyou.com.  If I at least knew a reason I'd have something to go on.   :???:

Maybe I'll just have to take some grease right to the wheels at Davis' headquarters in Hayward.  ;)  It's not that far away.

Joe Torsitano

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »
If you really want to get there attention promote Davis products on your site. I realize it free advertising for them but it may sway them a bit.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »
I think that's a great idea and was a BIG Davis promoter for about six years.  Even took one of their weather stations "on the road" to demonstrate them at community fairs and such in California (was doing live weather on location before even the Sacramento TV stations were  8-) ).  But they didn't seem to care.   :???:  I've told them I'd actively promote their products again (after all, I've bought multiple Davis weather stations) if they'll only show some reciprocal support.

I've sent dozens of people to Davis when they wanted to send data to weatherforyou.com with WeatherLink.  In the end Davis usually didn't reply, or said no, and so the people ended up buying some other software.  Davis still made the weather station sale so what did they care?
Joe Torsitano

anything