Author Topic: Atlas Crapped Out  (Read 958 times)

Offline radioman61

Atlas Crapped Out
« on: October 27, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »
13 month old atlas as been working well.  This morning it now shows-40° and 1% humidity. It’s actually about 58° and raining. The rainfall stopped updating, stuck at 0.90” but it’s still raining outside. Oddly, wind speed and direction still updates normally. One month out of warranty...just my luck.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Atlas Crapped Out
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
How much is the cost of the replacement temperature/humidity sensor?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline radioman61

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
Can’t be too much.  We’ve had wind driven rain for the last 12 hours and I suspect water was forced up in to places it shouldn’t have gone.  Once this storm is over, I’ll get it down and investigate.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »
Can’t be too much.  We’ve had wind driven rain for the last 12 hours and I suspect water was forced up in to places it shouldn’t have gone.  Once this storm is over, I’ll get it down and investigate.

I don't know if you have seen this thread but nincehelser did a bunch of pics on tearing down the atlas . Here's the link https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35220.0

Offline radioman61

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 02:04:33 PM »
It quit raining and the sun came out...everything returned to normal. It’s a safe bet water got in somewhere it shouldn’t have.  It’s too windy to get on the roof today but I’ll check it later this week and report what I find

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
It quit raining and the sun came out...everything returned to normal. It’s a safe bet water got in somewhere it shouldn’t have.  It’s too windy to get on the roof today but I’ll check it later this week and report what I find

Have you replaced the batteries lately?  About a year is when they seem to start failing.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
It’s due for new batteries. I use the Energizer lithium’s and always replace them in the fall.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
If the low battery light is not on, the batteries are fine.

Offline radioman61

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
Got up on the roof today and pulled the Atlas for service.  I could find no evidence of corrosion or water intrusion on the connectors for the top unit and the temperature/humidity sensor.  I pulled that board and it looked clean.  The screen was intact and clear as well. Just for good measure I filled the two connectors with silicone based dielectric grease before re-assembly.  I installed 4 new lithium batteries and it fired right up.  The Atlas connected to the Acurite Access right away but wouldn't connect to the display until I reset it (the HD display) and went through the setup again.  I will say the spider population was just a fraction of what I would normally see in the 5 in 1 and the ability to take things apart for general cleaning and maintenance without tools was a dream!  After 13 months in the elements the unit is holding up surprisingly well.  Based on discoloration that normally occurred with the 5 in 1, I'd say the UV stability of the Atlas is far superior in that sense. I can find no reason for the problems I experienced except that the batteries had been in service for almost 13 months. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
It’s due for new batteries. I use the Energizer lithium’s and always replace them in the fall.

I just had to replace my lithium batteries today as my Atlas died. They were installed since September 2018 so perhaps the 13-month lifespan is something common.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline radioman61

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »
I kept a pretty good 12 month schedule with the 5 in 1 although I’ve seen them go much longer. Weather and some health issues delayed me with the Atlas and it appears there’s not much reserve time

anything