Author Topic: Blitzortung using TWC for current weather information???!!!  (Read 824 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Blitzortung using TWC for current weather information???!!!
« on: February 08, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
I was just looking at the blitzortung.org website and discovered under the Overview tab that the lightning map also has several items at the top-left of the screen. They show the current date & time, the lat/lon of the location of your cursor position and then, two additional buttons. One displays the cloud cover and the other displays the weather conditions and temperature for various stations around the world. What amazed me is that Blitzortung appears to be pulling the wx conditions and temps from The Weather Channel (weather.com). Given the animosity of most personal weather station owners, especially on the WXFORUM, I am disappointed to see them using TWC as a data resource when there are other more PWS friendly providers who could give them the exact same data.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline tobi

Re: Blitzortung using TWC for current weather information???!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:09:58 AM »
Hi,

the weather layers are provided by Google with a simple API: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/layer-weather?hl=de

Google decides which provider to use for the data, not we. If someone knows a similar source of PWS layers which could be easily implemented, then just tell us.

Regards
Tobias