Author Topic: Average temp over archive period  (Read 1362 times)

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Average temp over archive period
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
In the Weatherlink software, under Setup -> Set Temperature & Humidity Calibration it allows one to set temperature to be averaged over the archive period. So, I'm guessing this means if I have my logger set to a 1 minute interval, that temperature value written to the datalogger is a one minute average. But does it mean the "live" temperature value reported on my console and reported from my software (eg Weatherlink Bulletin mode or Weather Display) would be a one minute average as well?

Bill

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
Re: Average temp over archive period
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
No, it only affects the value written to the logger.

Eric.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
No, it only affects the value written to the logger.
Eric.

Thanks Eric. So having a very limited understanding of communications between the ISS, VP2+ console and data logger, is there some way that the one-minute average value could be displayed in a "real-time" sense (apart from looking at logged values in the data logger)?  Just curious.

Bill
Bill

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
Well it's obviously possible in software that reads LOOP data from the logger. From memory, OAT updates every 10 secs, so you could in theory calculate a running total of effectively eg the last 6 OAT updates (which would typically mean reading the last 24 LOOP packets and maintaining a mean value). I don't know of any software that does that, mostly I suspect because temperature typically doesn't change that quickly, but software, including WL, does track eg 2min mean wind speed which is a more pertinent parameter to look at as a short-term mean..
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »
Well it's obviously possible in software that reads LOOP data from the logger. From memory, OAT updates every 10 secs, so you could in theory calculate a running total of effectively eg the last 6 OAT updates (which would typically mean reading the last 24 LOOP packets and maintaining a mean value). I don't know of any software that does that, mostly I suspect because temperature typically doesn't change that quickly, but software, including WL, does track eg 2min mean wind speed which is a more pertinent parameter to look at as a short-term mean..

Thanks for the information. I had read some threads here and was trying to understand how data is collected by the logger vs console.
Bill