Author Topic: Spring '16  (Read 14582 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Spring '16
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2016, 03:26:45 PM »
I will resist the temptation to comment further...
I will resist the temptation to...
I will resist...
I...

What do you mean

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
I will resist the temptation to comment further...
I will resist the temptation to...
I will resist...
I...

What do you mean
Res ipsa loquitur.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »
One of those ominous looking mother ship clouds over Yukon, OK several days ago:

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2016, 04:13:41 AM »
Just noticed the airport came in tied for 3rd coldest yesterday.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »
Potential for fun tonight.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
An isolated severe thunderstorm formed just to the north of Stillwater Tuesday afternoon and slowly moved southeast.  Fortunately, the worst part of the storm is to the east of town.  But now hearing some noise of hail coming down, only lightly scattered pea size, though, so far.  Areas in the heaviest parts of the storm may get 2 to 4 in. of rain.  Isolated storms tend to move slow.

How it looks on radar:

How the storm looks like from Tulsa:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:44:51 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
It looks pretty nasty off to the west right now; Bristow is under the gun.  I have some friends in Mannford that I had to give a head's up to.  Looks like some of these storms are merging down by Kellyville and we'll likely get something in the metro out of it.

As I'm typing this my weather radio just went off for a TOR warning for SE Creek county.

Welcome to late spring in Oklahoma.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »
I'm trying to post images to my website gallery automatically.  I'm giving the copy of WSV3 I purchased a bit of a workout tonight.

You can look at the images I upload here:

http://www.easttulsaok.com/ubergallery/
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
Hail didn't get any worse and didn't last much longer.  The rain stopped as the storm split in two over Stillwater. So none of this as much as 2 to 4 in. rains in Stillwater as TV weatherman Mike Morgan was excited about.  Now two storms, the west one threatened Stillwater with more severe weather, but it quickly dissipated before arrival, allowing the sun to come out. But the east storm, now east  of Stillwater that BigOkie was talking about, kept going strong with tornado warnings having to be issued to neighboring Creek County.

How the east storm looked east of Stillwater.  The west storm had pretty much dissipated by now.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »
Hail didn't get any worse and didn't last much longer.  The rain stopped as the storm split in two over Stillwater. So none of this as much as 2 to 4 in. rains in Stillwater as TV weatherman Mike Morgan was excited about.  Now two storms, the west one threatened Stillwater with more severe weather, but it quickly dissipated before arrival, allowing the sun to come out. But the east storm, now east  of Stillwater that BigOkie was talking about, kept going strong with tornado warnings having to be issued to neighboring Creek County.

How the east storm looked east of Stillwater.  The west storm had pretty much dissipated by now.

Luckily for Tulsa and those I know in Mannford, the storm got strong enough that the cyclonic motion turned it right (to the south) so it mainly made a beeline to Bristow.  Bad news though is I'm hearing injuries in Bristow.  No one on TWC is talking about that; they're having a stormgasm over the Dodge City tornadoes.

I expected to get a ton of rain out of this.  However, I got exactly 0.08" as the north part of the cell kind of fell apart on top of me.  Some wind and moderate rain.  However, the meteos are saying that the Dodge City complex could affect us this evening (Bunty that would include you as well).  Stay aware since it's likely this would be overnight.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »
Here's some live aerial over Bristow.  Some damage for sure.

http://www.newson6.com/category/267187/dynamic-popout-live-stream?webEncoder=http://kotv-lh.akamaihd.net/z/KOTV_1073@97915/manifest.f4m&mobileEncoder=http://kotv-lh.akamaihd.net/i/KOTV_1073@97915/master.m3u8

Not sure how long the feed will stay up...so if not up when you get to this post, apologies.
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
Local story of storm in Stillwater News Press.  The area affected was similar to the storm from two weeks ago.  It's always great when the worst parts of these storms are able to stay out of towns.  http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/no-touchdown-confirmed-but-tornadic-storm-leaves-damage-in-payne/article_d4ca0bc6-2216-11e6-b3fe-4b92b01bb82a.html

The Kansas storms don't appear to moving toward Oklahoma.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:43:33 PM by Bunty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2016, 10:55:43 PM »
Another severe storm now headed toward Stillwater as of about 10:00 PM.  This time is coming from out of the southwest.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2016, 11:27:04 PM »
Impressive line splitting Nebraska, not much severe I hope. Should be in Valentine around 11:30 CT.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:30:24 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2016, 10:42:32 AM »
This year is similar to last year, wet for the area. Already 6" above normal if trend holds another 10"+ above normal year.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
Finally... after quite long dry period this is the situation around my city right now :-)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
Got our first 90 degree day yesterday. We've been pretty close to normal in all respects this year, unlike last year. Could use some rainfall here though.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
Been another wet spring in Nebraska at least my area and toward the SE Lincoln area, most likely will break 8" this month, sitting at 7.5" currently and more for Memorial Day. 80° also forecast Monday will be nice change only to fuel thunderstorms later in day. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:14:40 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »
Been another wet spring in Nebraska at least my area and toward the SE Lincoln area, most likely will break 8" this month, sitting at 7.5" currently and more for Memorial Day. 80° also forecast Monday will be nice change only to fuel thunderstorms later in day.
I've attached some screen shots of my SE Lincoln precipitation.  We had about 5.5" of rain the first week of May last year which led to flooding in the local watershed.  This year our rain has been more evenly distributed and while nearly matching our 2015 total no serious flooding has occurred.  Our biggest problem this year was the very localized and persistent May 9 severe storm that pelted us with hail for several hours, softball-sized in extreme SE Lincoln.  This rare event destroyed cars and roofs where the largest hailstones fell.  My roof is still awaiting replacement from a severe hailstorm last August, so I didn't have to worry on that account although I was northeast by several miles of the softball-sized stones and probably sustained no additional damage.
(The columns on the records are from R to L, yearly precipitation record, monthly precipitation record, daily precipitation record, record Low Temps, and record High Temp's.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:04:24 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
Jerry many areas aren't getting the bountiful of rains. This NWS product is only updated through the 25th but CHADRON, KEARNEY only .62 even more surprising is Hasting in south central 1".   

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=NE&prodtype=climate
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »
Waiting on another 1/2" rain to break 8" for month May. This 39,000' top TS is moving on Valentine now with 2.25" hail potential on Doppler.
Randy