Author Topic: Davis WeatherLink IP Server Upgrades Scheduled  (Read 4766 times)

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
Davis WeatherLink IP Server Upgrades Scheduled
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
I received the following in an Email from Davis Instruments today.

Davis Instruments    PRODUCT SUPPORT

Important Notice about your Davis WeatherLink.com service

February 18, 2011

Dear Davis WeatherLinkIP Customer,

Next week, Davis Instruments is upgrading its WeatherLink servers to provide more capacity and quicker response for its customers.

On Wednesday, February 23, 2011, between 6:00 PM and 10:00 PM Pacific Time (-8GMT), all WeatherLinkIP servers will be unavailable for approximately 1-2 hours to make hardware changes for this increased bandwidth.

Who will this change affect?

Most WeatherLinkIP users will NOT be affected by this process and service will be restored automatically after the maintenance is complete.

You will only need to make changes to your system if you have specific rules defined in a firewall or other web filtering product by IP address. If you have set specific filtering rules, you may have to make a change to your system to prevent problems communicating with weatherlink.com. Read the instructions below or, if you have a Systems or Network administrator, please forward this message to them for review.
What do I need to do if I am affected by the upgrade process?

During the upgrade period on the Wednesday, the Davis IP addresses will change and will require a change to Davis’s DNS records. For the majority of customers, DNS changes will take effect in 1-2 hours but it could take up to 24 hours for the changes to propagate to all DNS servers worldwide.

A small number of customers, who restrict outbound internet access using the IP address 67.94.24.171, will lose connectivity to weatherlink.com. To reconnect, these customers will need to change their filtering rules. If the filtering rules are not updated to reflect the new IP address (see below for new address), these customers may lose weather data from WeatherLinkIP. Please note that the WeatherLinkIP device communicates with "weatherlink.com," not "www.weatherlink.com."

Current weatherlink.com IP address: 67.94.24.171
    New weatherlink.com IP address: 209.119.63.221

If you have questions, please email our technical support team at support@davisnet.com or call them at 510-732-7814 weekdays from 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time. Note that Davis Instruments will be closed on Monday, February 21, in honor of President’s day.

Thank you.

Davis Instruments IT and Technical Support Teams

Please do not reply to this email. Noreply@davisnet.com is not a valid email address.

This email is being sent to you in an effort to inform you of product or service changes that may affect you. If you need assistance with the information in this email, please contact Technical Support at 1-510-732-7814 or support@davisnet.com. Technical Support is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Pacific Time.

About Davis | Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Unsubscribe | Support
Copyright © 2011 Davis Instruments Corp. All Rights Reserved

Link:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:27:49 PM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline daswx

Re: Davis WeatherLink IP Server Upgrades Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »
Jack.......
Thanks VERY much for posting the e-mail......I use WeatherLink IP, and have not (as yet, anyway.....) received the notice.....
I'll be keeping a "weather-eye" on the Davis site/servers.....
Thanks again!!

Offline TampaFL

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
I too received the same e-mail early this morning. Good to hear of the upgrades. :grin: Hopefully this will resolve some of the issues that the servers have been having recently with recieving/getting the data to CWOP/MADIS/MESONET/WU. See http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10226.0

Robert 8-)
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS
WeatherlinkIP
CoCoRahs FL-HB-15
CWOP DW6203

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
I received that same email last night.  I hope expanded server capacity eliminates the occasional delays caused by the weatherlink server refusing to immediately accept the archival upload.

The weatherlink server also will occasionally misfire emailing the daily summary so that would be something else that could benefit from the added capacity.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline m77

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
is there an easy way to determine if you upload to that ip address?
Weatherlink ip, Vantage Vue,

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
is there an easy way to determine if you upload to that ip address?

Sure. Enable logging in your router's administration and look for your weather station LAN IP Address and the Destination URL or IP Address in the outgoing connections.
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline m77

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:01:56 AM »
i guessing when you log in to WL.com and go to "my account information" it is the " Public IP:" at the very bottom of the screen.
Weatherlink ip, Vantage Vue,

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
No, the public IP shown on that page is your Internet connection address, assigned to you by your provider.
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »
Sounds like there's been a bit of a bottle neck in the system, upload etc? Has there been any part data uploads observed. In other words has the console data always matched the WeatherLink.com pages?   

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:42 AM »
What's going on? Only Tuesday 22/2/11 @ midnight (PST) and WeatherLink.com appears down? Anybody confirm?

Offline TampaFL

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
I notice that also - it does load but it is very, very slow to do so. May be they (Davis) is doing preliminary work on the servers already.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:42:11 AM by TampaFL »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS
WeatherlinkIP
CoCoRahs FL-HB-15
CWOP DW6203

Offline daswx

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »
As of 2/23 @ 0800L.....Data still appears to be flowing to CWOP, WU and Meso West....
Seems the Davis site itself is what's "down"......

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »

No it's not down, just slow.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »

No it's not down, just slow.

SLOW then equals not responding at all. Must be a bit of pre-emtive readiness going on separate to the notified timetable.

Offline M0TTB

• Watford Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:02 AM »
Seems to be all back to normal here... No missed uploads to WU since the server upgrade.
wx station: Davis wireless VP2, 2x VP2 consoles 1x Vue console, Weatherlink IP + meteobridge
Amateur Radio station: Icom IC-7851 & IC-7100, Kenwood TS-2000 + RC-2000, SPE Expert 2K, Heil PR781, MW0JZE Broadband Hexbeam, HRD Software.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
Seems to be all back to normal here...

Have you tested the e-mail system? Is it working?

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:42 AM »
I received an e-mail daily summary on Feb 28 just before midnight.  So the e-mails seem to be restored.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com