Author Topic: OREGON SCIENTIFIC TEMPERATOR & RELATIVE HUMIDITY SENDER  (Read 5376 times)

Offline rcwhitehead

OREGON SCIENTIFIC TEMPERATOR & RELATIVE HUMIDITY SENDER
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »
My SENDER IS ABOUT 25 FEET OFF THE GROUND, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE RH% VARIES AT DIFFERENT HEIGHTS.MY SENDER  IS ALWAYS 5 TO 10 POINTS OFF.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: OREGON SCIENTIFIC TEMPERATOR & RELATIVE HUMIDITY SENDER
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
I had a WMR968 unit from OS. I had the temp/humidity sensor go bad basically right out of the box. And here's the sad part... I asked for a replacement unit 2X and still got bad readings from the humidity sensor...

I ended up using a separate wireless temp/humidty unit that seemed to perform better (OS THGR122 temp/humidty, not sure if they are still being made)....

Jim

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »
I had a WMR968 unit from OS. I had the temp/humidity sensor go bad basically right out of the box. And here's the sad part... I asked for a replacement unit 2X and still got bad readings from the humidity sensor...

I ended up using a separate wireless temp/humidty unit that seemed to perform better (OS THGR122 temp/humidty, not sure if they are still being made)....

Jim

That's what I had to do, too.  But I used the THGR122NX.  I don't know what sensors would work with your unit.  But I would try to get service under warranty first (or get my money back).

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
Here are the OS accuracy specifications for the THGR810. You have to look at one of the base console manuals to find it. This is from the WMR200 manual:

If actual RH is between 40-80%, error no more than 5%
If actual RH is between 25-40% or 80-90%, error no more than 7%
If actual RH is outside these ranges error is not guaranteed or specified

So -- your unit might be "in spec" according to OS specifications at least some of the time. For example, if the actual RH is 35%, then the OS unit would be "in spec" if it was reading anywhere from 28% to 42%.

You mention it being off by 5-10 percent -- what are you comparing the OS unit to (e.g. local airport, weather report, another RH sensor) ?

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »
Here are the OS accuracy specifications for the THGR810. You have to look at one of the base console manuals to find it. This is from the WMR200 manual:

So -- your unit might be "in spec" according to OS specifications at least some of the time. For example, if the actual RH is 35%, then the OS unit would be "in spec" if it was reading anywhere from 28% to 42%.

You mention it being off by 5-10 percent -- what are you comparing the OS unit to (e.g. local airport, weather report, another RH sensor) ?

In other words, it stinks....

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

In other words, it stinks....

GREAT ANALOGY!!!

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »
The numbers say it all...  :???:

This is however roughly in line with the "you get what you pay for" theory. Temperature, plus humidity plus a 434MHz transmitter for ... well it used to be around 20 bucks for the version 2.1 sensors ... prices have been creeping up of late ... now its more like 30 ... and as much as 50 if you want ten channels in a version 3.0 sensor. I suspect it is difficult to find much better accuracy in that price range...but I'd be interested if there is something better for the same price.

Offline rcwhitehead

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »
I was basing my RH % readings from other nearby stations. If  My  station was reading 68% RH ,Stations in the area would be at 78%RH.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 02:05:44 AM »
I was basing my RH % readings from other nearby stations. If  My  station was reading 68% RH ,Stations in the area would be at 78%RH.

It's possible you're in a micro-climate situation.  If so, that usually causes a difference readings between locations.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
This is a common situation and with the limited information available it is really difficult to reach a scientifically valid conclusion about the accuracy of your RH data.

1) Since the other measurements are not right next door, you have the micro-climate question.

2) How accurate are the other stations? If your unit is +-7% error and the other units are (just for example) +-5% error then everyone could be "in spec" even if the readings differ by 12%.

Then the next obvious question is -- what are the odds that all these units are right at the edge of being out of spec? And at opposite ends of their spec limits? Then statistics rears its ugly head and you are faced with annoying questions like what are the mean and statistical distributions of errors in your sensor and the comparison units. And are there enouigh neighboring units for statistical comparisons to be valid? Yeck...probably not where you wanted to go with this.

It would be much simpler if there was a local source that had a known high level of accuracy -- like a local airport or NWS station of record. Then you have only the micro-climate question which might be resolved through comparison over long periods of time.

Or if you know anyone who has a more accurate RH gauge you could borrow and set outside for a while at your location.

If you think the height might be a issue, how difficult would it be to lower the sensor for a few weeks to check that? I don't know the answer to this myself -- I would think that unless the ground was really wet, 25 feet of elevation should not matter...but I don't really know.

I think you are right to be concerned about the differences between you and other stations; I've tried to show that figuring out why with any certainty is not so easy.

It might also help to consider how much error there is in the dew point calculations. You can find on-line calculators to that convert Temp/RH to dew point to play with, but here are a couple of examples.

T=60F, RH=40%, DP=36F. If RH error = +10%, then DP error = +5F
T=80F, RH=60%, DP=65F. If RH error = -10%, then DP error = -5F

So, even large RH errors translate to errors in dew point that are perhaps not as large as might be expected.

Lastly, let's say you figure out that you have a large error in your RH data. If it is outside the limits claimed by OS you can try to get a replacment sensor. If not then you may be tempted to apply an offset to your readings -- like say subtracting 7% from all the readings for example. This might or might not work as the actual offset may or may not be constant. It could vary over both temperature and humidity conditions. I'm not aware of anyone who's done this type of comparison over a wide range of temp/RH values to see how that would behave. It is tempting however and would obviously improve accuracy at least over some range of conditions. I've done this myself and while it makes me a bit nervous I justify it with the knowledge that at least the results are more accurate for some conditions.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
or make an wet bulb thermometer  and set along side  the other one and  get the dew point from it and work backwards to find the RH.

John

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »
I struggled with the 968 for 4 years.    It is well documented that the humidity sensor is not accurate.  I found the TGR 122 to be better but still not in acceptable range.

A clear case of you get what you pay for.

If you can ignore the humidy error it is an OK system.