Author Topic: WL Tags  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
WL Tags
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
I'm working on a project to parse all of the WeatherLink  (ver 5.8.0) tags that are separated by a comma.
The problem is WL won't parse any outside temperature or time tag above station 5. The same goes for all Humidity and time tags from station 4 and above. I've also tried to parse each problem tag separately with no luck. Here is the first one that won't work.  <!--Temperature5-->

Any ideas on why they won't convert ???

Curly

Offline xmas1313

• McKinleyville Weather Observatory
Re: WL Tags
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »
Hey Curly...

This is a shot in the dark, but do you have your tags separated by comma in a single line in your .htx file?  I've noticed in the past that if WL tags are past a certain column in the .htx file, the program won't replace them with data.  I'm not sure what the limit is or whether this has been corrected since the last time I ran into it.

Hope this helps,

Scott
arlingtonweather.net

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »
This is a shot in the dark, but do you have your tags separated by comma in a single line in your .htx file?  I've noticed in the past that if WL tags are past a certain column in the .htx file, the program won't replace them with data.  I'm not sure what the limit is or whether this has been corrected since the last time I ran into it.

I've discovered that.  The tags are split up so there are 5 tags per line. It just won't convert a single "bad" tag in a htx.
Something is telling me it's a WL thing and that they must be used in a combination with something else. ?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »
There is a documented string length limit for the WL .htx parser... it's 200 characters...

You'll have to break up your template file into more separate lines... I've run into this issue myself...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
There is a documented string length limit for the WL .htx parser... it's 200 characters...

You'll have to break up your template file into more separate lines... I've run into this issue myself...

Limiting 5 tags per line keeps it under the 200 rule. I've even broke it down to two tags a line to see if there was a difference. The output should be --- so that wouldn't go near the 200 characters.
I've determined that it is the tag itself that doesn't get parsed instead of the line. It won't parse just one of those tags by itself in a htx file.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »
Maybe it's a bug in 5.8? Can you try 5.7?

Nevermind, I just tried it, and it will parse the tags up to temp5, then just prints the tag itself... curious...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:11:06 PM by ncpilot »
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »
It's been a head-scratcher.

Makes me wonder if anybody has more than 5 temp and 5 humidity sensors.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:02 AM »
What's interesting (to me) is that Temp5 is where the "changes from the previous version" is noted in the Tag List doc that came with 5.6. Same with Humidity4.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:23:46 AM »
What's interesting (to me) is that Temp5 is where the "changes from the previous version" is noted in the Tag List doc that came with 5.6. Same with Humidity4.

Hmmm....yes, wierd.  There is something up with the exact tags mentioned - those tags are bolded in the Weather Tag List.rtf file that comes with WL?!?
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
I have the latest scoop on the tags.

A message was sent to davisnet.com about the these tags and they replied with this:

Hello,

This is a bug. The support for the tags was added but the software was never
updated to support the new tags. This has been reported as a bug to be fixed.
I can't tell you when the fix will be available, but when it is, you can
download it from the link below...

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_sftwr.asp

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 01:40:58 PM »
Not that it concerns me but that sounds as if the software from ver 5.6 and later never supported the new tags that were detailed as "new tags" in the 5.6 docs!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »
I doubt if there is anybody that has a station with at least 4 humidity and 5 temp sensors connected and running WL.
There could be a few out there and maybe they are just testing the field to see if it's worth the effort to change the software. ?

I'm not slamming WL but  it just shows how well the other vendors are concerned about their software, customers and support.

I'm still laughing over the reply-  added support with no support.  :-P

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »
... and talking about WL tags -

I asked WL Support about utilizing tags for monthly/yearly event DATES such as "Year's High temp on: {HiYearlyOutsideTempDate}" and the response was, after a reference to the 5.6 docs: "If it not a tag then I will ask for it to be added in future release."

I hope they actually add it to more than just the docs... :lol:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:31:13 PM by Cienega32 »

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »
While they fix the bug, maybe they will add some more tags in the next release.   [-o&lt;

anything