Author Topic: Winter Sunrise and Sunsets  (Read 610 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Winter Sunrise and Sunsets
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »
As we get close to the Winter Solstice, the sun gets lower and lower on the horizon.  One of the "benefits" of this is the extended duration of sunrises and sunsets.  We have had some very cold and clear weather lately.  Yesterday was one of those.  I put together a time lapse that includes the sunrise and then the sunset.  The time stamp is on the images.  Watch how long the clouds are pink....   Best watched full screen in HD.

Thought I'd Share....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Winter Sunrise and Sunsets
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
Very nice! A pretty calm day, your flag hardy moves at all throughout the whole picture.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: Winter Sunrise and Sunsets
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
I am so thrilled to watch this video. One very exciting aspect of your video starts at about the 50 second mark.  You can see the orange glow of the sunset near the horizon being replaced by the deep blue of the earth's shadow!  This is eventually replaced by the overall orange glow again at the 57 second mark.  This phenomenon is called "Venus' Belt."

Extremely well done Greg. I very much appreciate your taking the time to share your videos.

Randall
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:13:56 PM by kaymann »

anything