Author Topic: Temperature data issues with Meteobridge and WU  (Read 1795 times)

Offline N9XTN

Temperature data issues with Meteobridge and WU
« on: June 02, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
I thought I'd share with you a problem I noticed with my Davis Vantage Pro2, Weather Underground and Meteobridge.  Around 1900Z on May 29, I began seeing that my temperature data became erratic.  Because this began at the same time as a thunderstorm came through, I thought maybe something happened to my temperature sensor (it's about 8 years old). 

This morning, I looked at the history for my APRS/CWOP feed (N9XTN-3) and noticed it was clean.  Since I figured if the sensor was flaky it should be flaky on both feeds, I started troubleshooting my Meteobridge.  On its sensor page, the temperature data was always good, but Weather Underground would sometimes show a different air temperature.

My VP2 is a stock setup with a separate temperature unit added on to act as a 4" soil temperature reading.  It now appears that the data going to WU was causing WU to sometimes use my soil temperature as an air temperature starting on the 29th at 1900Z.   I changed my Meteobridge setup to report "outdoor temperature #1" as "soil temperature #1".  This caused my WU page (KNEVALLE3) to now have a soil temperature, and at least for the last half hour seems to have kept my air temperatures from being corrupted.

So if you have two or more temperature sensors on your Davis and are using Meteobridge, try this fix.

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
Re: Temperature data issues with Meteobridge and WU
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 12:30:18 PM »
I thought I'd share with you a problem I noticed with my Davis Vantage Pro2, Weather Underground and Meteobridge.  Around 1900Z on May 29, I began seeing that my temperature data became erratic.  Because this began at the same time as a thunderstorm came through, I thought maybe something happened to my temperature sensor (it's about 8 years old). 

This morning, I looked at the history for my APRS/CWOP feed (N9XTN-3) and noticed it was clean.  Since I figured if the sensor was flaky it should be flaky on both feeds, I started troubleshooting my Meteobridge.  On its sensor page, the temperature data was always good, but Weather Underground would sometimes show a different air temperature.

My VP2 is a stock setup with a separate temperature unit added on to act as a 4" soil temperature reading.  It now appears that the data going to WU was causing WU to sometimes use my soil temperature as an air temperature starting on the 29th at 1900Z.   I changed my Meteobridge setup to report "outdoor temperature #1" as "soil temperature #1".  This caused my WU page (KNEVALLE3) to now have a soil temperature, and at least for the last half hour seems to have kept my air temperatures from being corrupted.

So if you have two or more temperature sensors on your Davis and are using Meteobridge, try this fix.

Not using Meteobridge, but have multiple temp sensors.  My outside temp has gone nuts on WU as well.  Look at KNCKERNE9.  My other feeds are clean and normal, locally things are fine as well.  I’ve been feeding WU with this station since 2012 without anything like this.

Offline N9XTN

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
My soil temperature was hooked to my Davis in April, and had reported fine until May 29.  On the Meteobridge forum, another user had noticed a problem with his WU data beginning at the same time.  I suspect WU did something around 1900Z on that day that changed how they interpret the data they receive, which broke some things.  I'm hoping my Meteobridge change compensates, but at the moment my soil and air temperatures are pretty close.  It seems OK now but not guaranteed.

Offline N9XTN

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:11 PM »
Well, nuts.  Watching the temperature update for a while, and I'm seeing my "real" air temperature, my soil temperature, and some other close-but-not-quite-either temperatures showing up. 

Something very bad happened to WU and PWSes around May 29th, from reading this board and others.  Guess I'll look for something else.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
My Meteobridge and WH2310 are jumping back and forth from a temp in the late morning to the current reading... Wind is also jumping back and forth. I've never seen this occur before going back that far. At one point several months ago, the settings were such that the readings would go back to the previous 2 hits and then jump back to the real time when an update would come from the outdoor sensors.

Offline N9XTN

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
I kind of thought maybe the wind data was going weird too, but it is fairly gusty and turbulent coming around the house today so I wasn't sure if it was WU or maybe the wind had that much variability.

Offline aware

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
My Temp data on WU is completely haywire today and I don't use a Meteobridge.  I think this is just the ongoing nonsense at WU.

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
It is WU. There are several threads on this issue. Some of us had our Current Data stop updating on 29MAY18 and others are having  their temperatures reading change dramatically on every update. You are not alone and we are all "unhappy" about the issue. :evil:

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 05:18:57 PM »
It is WU. There are several threads on this issue. Some of us had our Current Data stop updating on 29MAY18 and others are having  their temperatures reading change dramatically on every update. You are not alone and we are all "unhappy" about the issue. :evil:

Good to know...however I ordered a replacement T/H sensor for my 8+ year old Vantage Pro2+. Guess it won’t hurt to have a spare on hand.

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »

Good to know...however I ordered a replacement T/H sensor for my 8+ year old Vantage Pro2+. Guess it won’t hurt to have a spare on hand.

Personally, I would swap out the old T/H sensor and keep it as the spare.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »

You might be on to something here. I just checked my WU plot and the upper "spiked" value agrees with my soil temperature. I'll experiment with this later today. Thanks for the insight.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »

You might be on to something here. I just checked my WU plot and the upper "spiked" value agrees with my soil temperature. I'll experiment with this later today. Thanks for the insight.

Greg H.

Was your Soil Temp via an actual Soil Temp station (& Leaf)? I have a regular Temp station with a buried probe. Is there a difference and will changing the probe to soil station still work with an actual Temp Station?

I might just change my uploads to using Weatherlink.com instead and disable the MB Pro upload there.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »
Only thing I can do for Meteobridge is not to send additional temp sensors to WU. Meteobridges provide this feature but the latest issues at WU render this to a problem. I am so bored of WU's ongoing issues.  #-o

When they don't fix that this week, I will cut the additional temp sensors off from WU support and just send the main sensor data as other programs do. They really have a talent to break things.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline gopher

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Any issues with multiple air or soil temperature sensors reporting incorrectly should have been cleared up earlier today.  If you are still seeing problems please provide a station ID and I'll try to help.

Offline N9XTN

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
Thank you - as of about 9:49am CDT, temps are showing properly on my history graph.  However, if I switch on soil temperature with my Meteobridge, I lose the display of "Precip Accum" on my PWS page.  ID is KNEVALLE3.

Offline N9XTN

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
Greg H - my soil temp sensor is not a soil/leaf station.  It's a regular temperature station with a probe connected to it.

Offline N9XTN

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
gopher - I'm now showing "Precip accum" of 0 (correct) instead of blank.  I'll keep watching it and see if it goes back to blank.

Offline gopher

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
gopher - I'm now showing "Precip accum" of 0 (correct) instead of blank.  I'll keep watching it and see if it goes back to blank.

There's a known issue where the initial page load leaves the Precip Accum blank but then subsequent rapidfire updates work correctly, so that's why it may appear sporadic.    I only directly influence observation data processing so I can't fix that but the web team is looking into it.