Author Topic: Awesome program!  (Read 14652 times)

Offline msdawg911

Awesome program!
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:35:37 PM »
I have seen this software before, downloaded it, but thought it was way too technical for me. But, a few days ago, I decided to read part of the included manual, and it makes much more sense to me. Since I have the trial version, I have been making forecasts for Atlanta, and looking at the NWS forecast for the same time period, they look very similar. No telling what I could unleash on this thing! I have to get this program!

Just thought I would give my thoughts on this  :)
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Awesome program!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »
I have been thinking of trying that too, but just havent gotten around to it yet. What models does it use and where does it get the data from?

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
Awesome program!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 01:15:38 PM »
msdawg911 have you registered your trial version yet? If so how is it going? Also have you tried WXSIMATE the companion to it that allows automated Internet retrival of data and personal weather station data?

I have the trial and am tinkering with it but as you say this program is quite sophisticated and not just a run/setup and be done with it, the manual is a must read. Which is a good thing in this case, the sophistication it has brings power/accuracy.

What I would like to do before all is said and done is since it does not have any built in way of getting your forecast published to your site, is once I have it to a certain point I feel comfortable with it's forecast, is upload the data and format it for my site, maybe place it right under the NOAA and have them go at it so to speak, side by side. :)

Here is some of the customization that Tom describes on his site:

# Geographical data, including latitude, longitude, elevation, and time zone. You could potentially enter this kind of information yourself, but it would be a bit tedious.
# Climatological data, consisting of parameters describing normal temperature, dew point, and 'water temperature' for the site. Also included are data on average wind speed relative to large scale flow, and diurnal variation of wind speed.
# Parameters describing surface type (ground cover), continental versus maritime aspects of the site, and degree of urbanization (which can be changed at run time). Some of this information is used to help estimate default soil moisture and the reflectivity of snow cover.
# Parameters describing the distances and directions to large bodies of water, along with allowance for island locations and data concerning sea breeze strength.
# Information about the most significant mountain ranges affecting the area's weather. This includes distance, direction, angular span, and effective height of the mountains. In some customizations it may also include mountain/valley breeze parameters.
# Parameters influencing diurnal temperature range and overall temperature bias. This is an especially critical area, for which I do a lot of careful testing and tweaking.
# Various other items, some of which are not used in all customizations. These include dependence of diurnal tempreature range on wind direction and on time of year (mainly for agricultural sites with a lot of transpiration from crops in summer), and tendency for short-term temperature fluctuations affecting reported maximum and minimum temperatures.
# Advection sites. I choose a large number of surrounding official reporting sites (METAR and/or synoptic, and in many cases buoys). This usually includes most or all stations within a couple hundred miles, and more scattered ones at distances of up to (sometimes over) 1200 miles (2000 km). For most North American and European sites, I select about 260-290 advection sites, though sparsely populated regions will naturally have less. The data includes distance and direction as well as elevation correction information.
# FOUS sites. For U.S. and some Canadian sites, I choose three NGM/ETA FOUS sites, among which WXSIM can interpolate to estimate values at the home site. This data is not available outside North America, though fortunately the GFS model, available from the READY site, has world-wide coverage.
# RAOB sites. I always choose three surrounding RAOB (upper air) sites from which WXSIM can interpolate upper air conditions at the home site.

# Information about the most significant mountain ranges affecting the area's weather. This includes distance, direction, angular span, and effective height of the mountains. In some customizations it may also include mountain/valley breeze parameters.

Wheeew, Tom ain't playin games :)

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Awesome program!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:06:57 PM »
I registered WxSim a couple of weeks ago and finally have a text forecast page up:

http://wx.sloweather.com/forecast.php

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »
No, I haven't registered it yet. But, it still looks promising and after I buy GR3, VWS (don't kill me!), and a new 1-wire station, it will be next on the list! :)
Jake Hughes

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:19:46 PM »
Quote from: "SLOweather"
I registered WxSim a couple of weeks ago and finally have a text forecast page up:

I like your header photo - changing with the seasons, very cool.
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:41:25 PM »
Oooh! new toy  8)

I've downloaded a copy, and it looks like the next addition to the site (and expanding my feeble knowledge of forecasting).

Thanks guys!

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 09:06:43 PM »
Quote from: "kenmtrue"
Oooh! new toy  8)

I've downloaded a copy, and it looks like the next addition to the site (and expanding my feeble knowledge of forecasting).

Thanks guys!

Ken

Cool! You'll be a great asset on the WxSim forum on weather-watch.com. Right now there is a thread there on parsing the plaintext forecast output into an NWS style graphic/text panel.

Chris

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Awesome program!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
Quote from: "Ravenstar"

What I would like to do before all is said and done is since it does not have any built in way of getting your forecast published to your site, is once I have it to a certain point I feel comfortable with it's forecast, is upload the data and format it for my site, maybe place it right under the NOAA and have them go at it so to speak, side by side. :)
ditions at the home site.

I figured out a temporary hack to get the plaintext.txt forecast onto a page. I use VWS's Internet/HTML settings page to upload plaintext.txt to forecast.txt. (No html tags, just a convenient way to get the txt uploaded in a hurry. Weather Display has a similar FTP function for any file like this.)

http://wx.sloweather.com/forecast.txt

Then I built a quick php page to include the text:

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 09:35:55 PM »
Quote from: "anchorageweather"

Thanks. I take a lot of photos around here and post some to my SLOweather blog. Here's yesterday's (Dec 26) sunrise.

As you noticed, I've been changing them recently. I've been thinking lately about assembling a library of header images, and then creating a script to pick one based on the date or weather conditions. That'd be pretty cool.

FWIW, that snow pic is a rarity around these parts. In March we had 2 days of snow on Cuesta Ridge, 8 miles from our home, and >2000' higher in elevation. We get snow up there maybe once every couple of years.

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 10:54:11 PM »
Quote from: "anchorageweather"

As you noticed, I've been changing them recently. I've been thinking lately about assembling a library of header images, and then creating a script to pick one based on the date or weather conditions. That'd be pretty cool.

I remembered something similar to this - its very cool.  This guy's blog has a header that changes based on weather and time (day or night) at his family's farm:

http://www.1976design.com/blog/

You can read more about it by clicking the "panorama information" tab.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:57 AM »
Sounds like a prety awsome program. But wouldn't do me a bit of good as far as putting it on my web site.  My ISP does not support PHP or for that matter ASP.

Going to have to break down and find me a hosting company that does.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 09:15:45 AM »
WXSIM produces a text forecast that you could manually copy and paste to your site. Every time you run it, it makes it (which can sometimes be annoying...)
Jake Hughes

GR2Analyst, WXSIM

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
Yup. Anthony, you run VWS, so you could use my trick of using Internet/HTML Settings to copy WxSIM's plaintext.txt file to forecast.txt on your weather site.

Then just put a link to it on your weather page like http://wx.sloweather.com/forecast.txt . That would get you started, and you can run the free version of WxSim as long as you want.

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »
Quote from: "Anthony"
Sounds like a prety awsome program. But wouldn't do me a bit of good as far as putting it on my web site.  My ISP does not support PHP or for that matter ASP.

Going to have to break down and find me a hosting company that does.

Don't know about ASP but as far as PHP - if you have $10.00/YEAR try e-rice:

http://e-rice.net/

Its the best host going, hands down

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 10:49:41 AM »
Well, the free version doesn't have your specific location preloaded in it - you have to manually type it in each time you use the program.
Jake Hughes

GR2Analyst, WXSIM

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 12:10:12 PM »
Even with that, there still seem to be a lot of users on the WxSim board at The Other Forum that are running free.

EDIT...

Oh, wait... This isn't Ambient... I can say www.weather-watch.com . (Too many dang weather forums...  ;) )

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 09:04:37 AM »
So whats the big deal about entering my specific location? Once I started the program wouldn't I leave it running? Doesn't the program create a new forecast ever so many hours?

And as far as displaying the text version on you web site. You couuld also use a java basedf scroller such as scrollitup to scroll the forecast.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 10:30:37 AM »
Yup. You can let it run. It's possible to automate the forecast process, but without registering WxSim and WxSiMate, you need to manually download and assemble the current and model data for WxSim to use for each forecast time.

That's probably the better thing to do anyway, to start with, as it would give you better experience in how the program works.

Tom customizes WxSiMate to your site so it downloads and culls the appropriate data for your site. It will also get data from your local station from Weather Display or WeatherLink (not VWS, yet though).

Right now I run the 2 a couple of times a day to make a new forecast which is then uploaded to my site.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »
Yup. You can let it run. It's possible to automate the forecast process, but without registering WxSim and WxSiMate, you need to manually download and assemble the current and model data for WxSim to use for each forecast time.

That's probably the better thing to do anyway, to start with, as it would give you better experience in how the program works.

That's something that Tom has always recommended, to do things manually to learn more about the software and all its nuances/features.

Tom customizes WxSiMate to your site so it downloads and culls the appropriate data for your site. It will also get data from your local station from Weather Display or WeatherLink (not VWS, yet though).

From what I could see, there weren't any plans to make it work with vws at all.

Right now I run the 2 a couple of times a day to make a new forecast which is then uploaded to my site.

I'm running it about 6 times a day, mainly because I can, and that it keeps it more up to date.  :)
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 08:45:01 AM »
Sounds like two awsome programs. To clarify, both of the programs are absolutely free and operate 100% with no limitations?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE