Author Topic: I'm Baaaaack !  (Read 21237 times)

Offline GregK

• Contributor
  • SNUGGLES: My Baby Girl
Re: I'm Baaaaack !
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »
Thanks.  Will go over there later tonight  :-)

Greg
Help Save An Innocent Life: WWW.ASPCA.COM
United States Air Force (Retired)

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 12:07:38 AM »
I appreciate you guys helping out.  I looked at the two other commonly used websites, and could not find any thing for street level maps.  I downloaded a few I thought might work, but no .STY files were attached.  Some contained .BMP pictures of topography, but nothing I knew how to use.  I do have two STY files. one called "national atlas state file sty and tigerroads.sty.  When I load them into the manager, and I can press the "IMPORT" button, but nothing happens.  Both of these files appear to be useless.

I am deleting a bunch of crap I downloaded to try and get some STY files working.  They have all been worthless so far, so I want them off my hard drive.  Then I will sit back, think, regroup, and try this again.

Hey..feel free to chime in.  I do appreciate your efforts.  I will be back to this shortly.  Gonna trash some files now and hopefully try again tommorrow night...but I am going to do a lot of reading on this subject first.

Thanks.  Will see you soon,

Greg

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
Ok I clicked on this link a few days ago. missing the x, so it lands at one of those squatter / portal sites.  Now I cant seem to get it off my recently typed sites list.   I have edited the registry a few times, and currently its not showing, yet when I start IE again, and type grle... the autopopulate shows it.   any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Go to www.GRLevelstuff.com. Click on Downloads.  Then click on Shapefiles.  Under that you will find "states".  There are 52 states available there.  I don't know why there are two check boxes for each.  That is an excellent question.
    Good luck
        Mark

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
Andrew...are you saying that the site you went to keeps coming uip on your "history" list?

Greg

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
Not history, when you start typing in the address bar, it autocomples the url...  I removed mistyped ones all the time by using regedit.  Maybe its different cause it was a link (not typed).  I will try removing from history too.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 07:38:10 PM »
That did it... but I got rid of it before (i think), we'll see if it comes back.
Andrew

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
Ok I clicked on this link a few days ago. missing the x, so it lands at one of those squatter / portal sites.  Now I cant seem to get it off my recently typed sites list.   I have edited the registry a few times, and currently its not showing, yet when I start IE again, and type grle... the autopopulate shows it.   any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

With the incorrect auto-complete version highlighted, can you not just hit delete? Seems to work with Firefox.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 08:05:15 PM »
GregK,
   Thanks for putting the link to the ASPCA in your signature! =D>  As a member of the ASPCA I am glad to see people making the link available.
There is quite a good new show on National Geographic Channel at 10pm called
"Rescue Ink: Unleashed".  It is a group of ex-biker tough guys who rescue animals who are abused and mistreated.  I would not want them showing up at my house.
It's about time someone got serious about it.
   Sorry everybody for getting off topic but had to say that.  Thanks!!!

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:24 PM »
Andrew..glad you fixed it.  I think if you find it in your history and right click and delete it should work.

Downliner...I never watch rescue shows.  It truly upsets me to much to the point that I actually have to take something to calm down....Doctor Prescribed of course.  We are new parents....we rescued a 10 week old kitty born under our back porch.....wife got attached again after we trapped him......that makes 3 for us now.  As you can tell by my picture...I own a Sphinx.

I have learned that in GR3, if you want to add .PAL files, you go to "VIEW" and then "SET COLOR TABLE.  So I have downloaded a few pal files and playing with them.  I still cannot get a .STY file or its partner..the Shape File.  I am looking for a street map of Palatine, Illinois and surrounding area that I can Zoom to when I want to.  Any help would be great.

Thanks.  Have a good night all.

Greg

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
Just a question.  I am correct in saying that the "storm tracks" shown in GR3 extend to point of where the cell will be in one hour...and that each tic mark is 15 minutes?  I think I am right but just would like clarification.

Also, can anyone tell me anything about Allison House?  I keep hearing about it.

Thanks again,

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »
GregK,
   That is right.  Every tick is 15 minutes.  Allison House is awesome and makes the GRL3 radar even better.  You can have lightning show on the radar, or surface Highs and Lows and frontal boundries; Mesoscale discussions;  Airport locations,
rivers, and sports stadiums, NASCAR tracks.  They also have a better storm track, at least I like it better.  You can also have storm reports show on the radar screen. There is a lot of stuff available and it is worth the $10 a month fee!
     Hope this helps,
ADD:  One of my favorite Allison House add ons is METAR stations.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:43:01 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 11:52:42 PM »
Thanks.  Is all that add on stuff, like lightning, downloaded and used on your GR3 at the desk top level, or do I have to use their site to view and use?

I would prefer using my own computer.

Thanks

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »
GregK,
  All of the AllisonHouse addons appear right on the GRL3 radar screen.  They are fairly easy to use.  On the AllisonHouse website you get  a list of what is available for the GRL3.  If you want lightning, you copy a URL into the placefile manager.
If you want it to appear on the screen you check that item in the PF manager.  If it is something you don't want there all the time, you uncheck the item in the PF manager.  As you said before there are two boxes but I don't know what the second one is for.  I have checked both but didn't see any difference.  I just check the first box.

EDIT:  This is a correction to my earlier post.  The "rivers" add on came from GRLevelstuff and not from Allison House.  Sorry
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:37:27 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
GregK,
Have you checked out this thread on grlevelx owners forum?

http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5233

there is a style file in post 2

Andrew

ps: grlevelxstuff seems to have gotten wiped last night, landing page is an apache config screen.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
GregK,

Andrew

ps: grlevelxstuff seems to have gotten wiped last night, landing page is an apache config screen.

Aarons other site, The Weatherboard is also down.
Hope everything is ok. I know he was asking for donations to keep things running.

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
I have tried downloading several Shape and Style files.  I put them in the GR3 directory.  I can use Place file manager to open them.  But when I click on the "IMPORT:" button...nothingn happens.  It is very frustrating.

I have learned how to download and use .PAL files.  But loading Style and Shape files still escapes me.  I cannot undertstand why they will not IMPORT into GR3.

Greg

Day Three...still banging my head ](*,)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:54:33 PM by GregK »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
  To use the Sty and Shp files you should be using the GIS Loadshapefiles.
When I do mine it may seem like nothing is happening when you hit import but if you wait 10 sec or so you see the items you added.

ADD:  I just went to the NY radar and wanted to put in the runways to airports.  When I hit import it "looks" like nothing happened because the box stays on and nothing looked different.  I hit it again just to be sure.  When I looked the runways were there.  next time just close the dialog box and see if what you added is there.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:11:49 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
Thanks Downliner....I have before but will try it again with a little more patience.  Must you load a STY file with a SHP file, or are the independent of each other?

Greg

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 08:27:13 PM »
It seems that the "stuff" site is down for some reason.

I downloaded a file from there several days ago.  One file is named "STATESP020.SHP".  The other file is named NATATLASSTATESTYLEFILE.STY.

When I go to the shape file loader, it recognizes both files.  When I open them and then hit "IMPORT", nothing happens.  Nothing.  I have tried this many times with numerous other files.  Nothing.

Is it possible my copy of GR3 is bad and should be reloaded?

Or perhaps I am just getting bad files.

Of course its possible I am AN IDIOT....but I don't think so this time.

I figured out how to load PAL files.  That is going just fine.

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 08:54:56 PM »
Thanks Downliner....I have before but will try it again with a little more patience.  Must you load a STY file with a SHP file, or are the independent of each other?
Greg
  GregK,
   First off you are not an idiot!  I had several months of trouble with this.  I still don't know how to add storm icons or a logo.
   When you open the GIS Loadshapefiles you get the dialog box.  You have to enter the Shp file on the left and sty file on right.  You need both.  
   Sometimes when I go to browse for the shp and sty file the select shape file box opens I have to click on the GRLevel3 sub-file.  at first I thought I was missing something but realised I had to click on the RED (<<GRLevel3>GRLevel3>)before I saw all the shp files.  Same with the sty files.
I don't know if that will help.  If that doesn't do it I think there has to be something wrong with the downloaded files.  Especially since the site is down.
   Stay confident.  You will get there.

ADD: To prove my point I was just looking at another thread where you was able to get your cursor added.  I can't get a logo or cursor or storm icons.  I do what the instructions say but no joy for me.   :oops: :oops: :oops: #-o ](*,) ](*,) ;) 8-[ 8-[ :-s
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:14:18 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2009, 11:06:08 PM »
Actually, I am using the GIS load shape files box.  I misspoke above.  Nonetheless, I still get both a SHP and STY file in there, press import, wait, nothing happens.  I do tend to believe the files are at fault.  I just don't know where else to go.  I was using the GR3 Stuff site, but they are down.  I looked at the GR3 forums, and they do give some files, but they are all written in code.  I am not at that point yet where I know what to do with them.

I tend to believe that you DO know how to load storm icons and logos, but perhaps the software is bad, not compatible, who knows.  It could be a fault in the GR3 program itself.  But I will just keep experimenting with this.  If it works okay for one file, then it should work okay for all the files unless the file is corrupted.

I guess we will both keep trying.  I am going over to check out Allison House. 

See you in a bit.

Greg

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 11:43:01 PM »
Just for info, I was looking around the GR3 web site, and found a few shape files they gave you to download.  I did so, and they worked perfectly.  One showed Airport locations by abbreviation, the other showed airports by full name.  Followed the normal routine to download and install, hit IMPORT, and it worked fine.  So I still believe other files not working are corrupted.

Greg

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2009, 02:11:05 AM »
Just for info, I was looking around the GR3 web site, and found a few shape files they gave you to download.  I did so, and they worked perfectly.  One showed Airport locations by abbreviation, the other showed airports by full name.  Followed the normal routine to download and install, hit IMPORT, and it worked fine.  So I still believe other files not working are corrupted.
Greg
Greg,
    That is great news!! =D&gt; =D&gt; Hopefully the website will have a functioning
and uncorrupted file soon.
     Mark

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 02:39:59 AM »
GregK,
Andrew
Aarons other site, The Weatherboard is also down.
Hope everything is ok. I know he was asking for donations to keep things running.
   There is a message on the GRLevelstuff site that says "they have had a complete hard drive failure!  the sites are ok but the MySQL databases are gone" :-(.  That does not sound good.  I sure hope they are able to fix it. [-o&lt; 8-[

Offline GregK

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »
I did check out that site.  I downloaded the info for Illinois, and put both SHP and STY files in, but they would not import.

Greg

anything