Author Topic: WUnderground about to shaft PWS Contributors?  (Read 8153 times)

Offline Feilding Weather

• Feilding Weather
WUnderground about to shaft PWS Contributors?
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Poking around in the forums tonight and discover that we are all about to lose our free
API access to Wunderground. According to the forums many Private weather stations are
already abandoning the WU ship as they are not keen on providing data for a company (IBM)
that plan to sell the data for profit.

Reading more into the forums, monthly API data packages will start at around $800 per month.
WUnderground no longer replying to emails, forum posts or support tickets and their contact telephone numbers have been disconnected.. Sucks for paid or paying API members!

Read the official announcement here: https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/weather-underground-api-changes

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:58:58 AM by Feilding Weather »

Feilding Weather, Manawatu, New Zealand.
Visit our website: www.feildingweather.com
Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Feildingweather

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: WUnderground about to shaft PWS Contributors?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
It's very sad they're pulling their free API access to contributing stations to Wunderground. 

I'm working on a replacement script for WU-forecast.php that uses DarkSky.net and another that uses Aerisweather.com APIs (free for Developer access).

I'll let y'all know how its going.

Here's an in-progress sample using DarkSky (attached)

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
it seems their current paid api plans might change too?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Yes, it seems they're quoting a $850 US/month 'all access' plan.  Won't be for hobbyists I fear (or many software developers either).

Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
WOW! Guess some saw this coming.
Ken I'm thinking my website doesn't use or need API key. Most information is coming from NWS directly like forecast even my satellite/radar images. Only thing I can think of is my timelapse using my own supplied WU data.

Am I missing something?

Randy

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
but what about people already on a paid api plan
they cant exactly start charging you 850$ a month with out your permission surely
so will that mean all smaller plans will stop?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
Brian, it's unknown about what they'll do with the existing API plans/keys.

Their announcement in the API forum has created a lot of negative comments with no 'official' responses:

https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi

e.g https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/weather-underground-api-changes

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 03:19:01 PM »
And I see some are threatening to stop sending data to CWOP also. Stopping data to WU alone won't work because they can still grab CWOP data for locations and sell it, so both places need to be stopped if goal is keep WU from selling our data.

This could impact realtime models like RAP which uses CWOP data to fill in the gaps between NWS stations. 
Randy

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
from one of those links:
Enhanced Current Conditions – This package includes one of the highest-resolution weather observation networks that is available in the field based on over 200,000 personal weather stations in addition to traditional sources.

so they are quoting the personal weather station data as their data source to then on sell as paid api
but those pws are starting to stop send data in protest
so they are cutting off their nose despite their face
(and yes you would need to stop sending CWOP data too)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 02:15:10 AM »
As long as WU lets me use their data and radar images for 7 different spots on my web page free of charge, why should I care if they sell my data?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
As long as WU lets me use their data and radar images for 7 different spots on my web page free of charge, why should I care if they sell my data?

Did you miss the part where its no longer gonna be free? Around $800 month even if you send them your weather station data...Ken's working on a replacement for WU maps radar etc. now.
I've never used much of WU stuff so unaffected, haven't decided if I'll cut my data off or not. 
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »
 I wonder if us boycotting WU and CWOP will really make a difference.  I may be wrong, but do most PWS stations (Accurite, Davis, etc.,) come with software pre-focused on sending data to WU and a few other places.  I would think the majority of PWS stations do not have personal websites such as most of us here on the forum and simply enjoy having "their" data presented on WU's nice website...they're probably tickled to tell friends about their weather station being on WU.  So, they don't need access to the WU products...they're just happy to see their data online.  Depending on how many of these WU-dependent PWS owners there are WU may very well have enough data input to tell all of us to "take a hike".  I don't think they're too concerned with actual accuracy as they are with numbers to show their advertisers and investors.  Losing a few independent weather stations/websites (like us) that report to them won't harm them too much, I would think.   In doing so they take away some independent competition that was using "their" products.  It's a money-move for them, always has been.  I just think they're seeing us as a thorn in the side and that it's time to scrap us to clean up their "image".

I've been neutral during their pangs and problems.   I always figured I'd keep sending my data to them as long as they were there in an attempt to give them data to use in overcoming issues that we thought were plaguing them.  My neutrality has shifted slightly negative at this point and I will be watching.  The first verified denial of a product for use on my website (which I'm not sure what is, other than a radar image on my front page which updates every *30* minutes  :?) and my data will no longer be going to them.  I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I know how to uncheck that little button beside Weatherunderground's name.  ;)

Looking at things, I'm sad to say that I will most likely be unchecking that button.  No tears for WU, but I do wish them and all the lemmings well......nothing personal towards the lemmings, of course!.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:16:27 AM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
I'm in a wait and see mode also.
Ken takes it serious enough however and is working on alternative should they go through with announcement to charge everyone for API keys.

Websites using API key are there enough to hurt them if they stop sending data? Doubtful.. Really we are a small minority. 
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 12:02:18 PM »
If I have to pay to use the Maps, I am out

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
There you have it... you guys know my attitude towards WU has always been very negative and I knew why...

Those who want to stop sending data to WU should keep in mind that WU will take it from CWOP unless you stop that too.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
Im probably absolutely dumb, but can someone please explain to me what they mean by this:

To improve our services and enhance the relationship with our users, we will no longer  provide free weather API keys as part of our program.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
I

To improve our services and enhance the relationship with our users, we will no longer  provide free weather API keys as part of our program.

LMAO...Some kind of enhanced relationship...Send us your $$. The cheapest key was $400 a month.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »

Did you miss the part where its no longer gonna be free? Around $800 month even if you send them your weather station data...Ken's working on a replacement for WU maps radar etc. now.
I've never used much of WU stuff so unaffected, haven't decided if I'll cut my data off or not.

Yes, I missed that part.  Now I don't get why WU would want to lose most of its data base by charging such huge fees.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
Keep in mind that 99% of users will keep on sending data to them and who cares about that 1% like us

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »
Think you are probably right very small % will actually get hurt. I'm not convinced I'll stop either because I have a remote station I use WU to look at data and I don't use or need API key unless something inside Saratoga script's I'm not aware uses it.  I never did care for the WU graphs, satellite images etc. so always looked for alternatives.
Randy

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 06:26:06 PM »
Where does the WU API Key come into play?

I see I have one (in my password vault) but searching the content of all files in my weather website I don't find using it.

I use WU for a number of things; radar maps, WU Station History, record hi/lows. But not forecast, I use NWS for that.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
Good question maybe one Ken needs to answer.
Randy

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:29:35 PM »
It could be for those of us sharing our data and in return being given permission to use/reprint some of their weather data/maps, may not be affected by this API change at all.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Perhaps we should inundate CWOP with emails asking them to cut-off the WU access to the data. Not sure if that would even be possible but, it might get someones attention.

Am about pull my data feed to WU like many others but really don't want to stop CWOP feeds.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
Good question maybe one Ken needs to answer.
I was wondering about what I use an API key for, too.  The only thing I see that I use from them is the radar map...which really isn't that great and I need to find another one, anyhow.  But, the simple idea that they will take our free data but will charge us to use *their* data...that doesn't sit well with this redneck.  The first squeal I hear that they have actually cut off a pws data contributor from using WU data, my feed to them is done...and most likely my CWOP feed, too.  I seriously doubt that they will know or care that I've removed my feed to them...but I will know...and it means something to me. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com