Author Topic: I Almost Bit!!!  (Read 11245 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
I Almost Bit!!!
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
    I almost did it!  I was watching TWC's coverage of the tornadoes near Little Rock, AR and following on my radar.  I started getting depressed that I could not see things as well as they could.  I went as far as downloading GRL2 :oops:.  But, I went to AllisonHouse to look at things and reality hit :shock: :shock:.  I didn't want to spend $25/month. ](*,)  At least not now.  I apparently already used my free-trial for Level2 as it said expired.  Thank God!!! 
   Iwill have to be carefull with that from now on. It would be nice especially since I did not know you can take vertical slices through the radar with GRL2.  At least that's what was on the window.  I would love that.  I better get off before I do it again!!!!
     Mark :-( :oops: ](*,)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Re: I Almost Bit!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
Does the GR2 program also come with the ability to FTP the files for a loop? I never see a GR Level 2 loop on the web.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »
I was watching TWC ...

Why?

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:55:29 PM »
   I almost did it!  I was watching TWC's coverage of the tornadoes near Little Rock, AR and following on my radar.  I started getting depressed that I could not see things as well as they could. ...    

I was thinking the same thing watching Dr Forbes the other day!   :lol:

But I just can't justify that cost right now either.  So many toys and things to do and not enough money coming in to do them.   #-o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
I was watching TWC ...
Why?

Because when there is a severe weather outbreak Dr. Forbes does a great analysis of radar images. There is nothing else on when they do that.  He shows features on Base Reflectivity and on SRV's. It is fantastic.  I have learned numerous things watching him.  I am glued to TWC when he is on and doing his thing.  Can't get it anywhere else. They were still at it after midnite last night.  They started before 8pm. 4 hours plus excellent weather coverage.
   Mark

Does the GR2 program also come with the ability to FTP the files for a loop? I never see a GR Level 2 loop on the web.
   I don't know.  I did not have it long enough to check out all there was.  Sorry.
      Mark

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:11:33 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »
No, GR2 does not have FTP capabilities.
Marks, both of you in Ohio. GR2 is awesome. I use it more then GR3. There is a free feed from Iowa State that you can use so a sub isn't necessary.  I just tried it so it still works. I am extremely fortunate in that one of our members from Tampa gives away the L2 feed for the Florida sites.
You may even be able to negotiate with Allison for a couple specific sites.
The vertical slices you speak of are probably a product GR2 Analyst. GR2 has an option to look at a cross section from different vectors but it doesn't have the capabilities of Analyst. Analyst is a great looking program but to me right now it's just eye candy. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at. :oops:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:57:27 PM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
I just looked at the demo for GR2 Analyst and it is nice eye candy! Is GR2 better than 3?
Joe.... another Ohioan.
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
Hey Joe I used to be from Ohio a long time ago. Check my avatar. Currently a Browns fan incognito.  :grin:
The biggest difference between the two is the GR2 has more resolution then GR3 which is quite evident when you look at them side by side. For the average user GR3 is the way to go. GR3 has 25 products while GR2 has 4. Base Ref, velocity, relative velocity, and spectrum width.
With GR2  you can also sample 14 different heights starting at 0.5 which is most common all the way up to 19.5. Again these are more for the advanced user.
The only reason I bought it was because I was already using a program with L3 data and I wanted one with L2 data. For me it was worth the $80 but for the most part you get the same in GR3.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
One thing I forgot is if you can't afford GR2 WeatherTap offers L2 data with their sub package. I think it's like $7.95 a month. Very cheap for what you get and they offer a lot. L2, L3, and a great mobile app just to name a few. I usually sign up for a couple months in the summer because it's so good.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:31:04 PM by ocala »

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »
When I saw your avatar a while back I noticed the Browns theme.... we're Bungal fans here, or at least we try to be.

Thanks for the info.... i guess I'll stick with GR3 and learn how to get the most out of it...... now it's time to look at Allison and try to figure how to marry them together and get it on my site.

Take care,
Joe
WeatherLink Live

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:46:49 PM »
Marks, both of you in Ohio. GR2 is awesome. I use it more then GR3. There is a free feed from Iowa State that you can use so a sub isn't necessary.  I just tried it so it still works. I am extremely fortunate in that one of our members from Tampa gives away the L2 feed for the Florida sites.
The vertical slices you speak of are probably a product GR2 Analyst. GR2 has an option to look at a cross section from different vectors but it doesn't have the capabilities of Analyst. Analyst is a great looking program but to me right now it's just eye candy. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at. :oops:

Could you please share this feed from Iowa State?
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 11:28:49 PM »
One thing I forgot is if you can't afford GR2 WeatherTap offers L2 data with their sub package. I think it's like $7.95 a month. Very cheap for what you get and they offer a lot. L2, L3, and a great mobile app just to name a few. I usually sign up for a couple months in the summer because it's so good.
   I just signed up for the Weathertap 14 day trial before I saw your post.  It is great for the price.  There is a lot of stuff included.  Personaly I did not like the Storm Relative Velocity scans. Odd colors and I could not make heads/tails out of it.  I did like the HD radar though. 
   I think that one day I will succumb to the GR2 urge.  You can do slices through the radar with GR2 and that is something I want.  Someday, but not today #-o.  Maybe tomorrow.  Probably not.  We will see :shock: ](*,).
   Mark

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
And Doug, dont ask for it over there, or you might get your head bitten off.  :lol:

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/data/nexrd2/raw/   
I couldn't copy it so if it doesn't work let me know. Could have made a mistake.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
GRL2 is a higher resolution product, but doesn't have all the features and capabilities of the GRL3 product. Most storm trackers use the GRL3 because of the extra features and GPS functions.

None of the products actually do the looping to a website although it has a built in ftp client to upload the last ten images for you to loop on your own. I have four GRL3 loops going today,

Huntsville - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_3.php
Birmingham - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_1.php
Atlanta  - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/ffc_284.php
Little Rock - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_2.php

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
You have 4 instances of GR3 running then Steve?
Tony

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »
I do! On two different computers, TWO of those are tethered through my Droid... a little slow but it works!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:49:32 PM by DaculaWeather »

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 01:06:34 PM »
Cool. I had toyed around with a radar of all of NY. Maybe i'll give it another shot.
Tony

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/data/nexrd2/raw/   
I couldn't copy it so if it doesn't work let me know. Could have made a mistake.

If I click on a radar site, and then something after that, I get a scrambled text view. How does this work?  :-k

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
Chris do you have GR2?
It only works with GR2 not 3.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
Chris do you have GR2?
It only works with GR2 not 3.

I have an expired trial version of GR2. I plan on purchasing it sometime later this year.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
GRL2 is a higher resolution product, but doesn't have all the features and capabilities of the GRL3 product. Most storm trackers use the GRL3 because of the extra features and GPS functions.

None of the products actually do the looping to a website although it has a built in ftp client to upload the last ten images for you to loop on your own. I have four GRL3 loops going today,

Huntsville - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_3.php
Birmingham - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_1.php
Atlanta  - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/ffc_284.php
Little Rock - http://www.daculaweather.com/grlevel3/storm_mode_2.php

Steve,
Nice...What does the looping?
Joe
WeatherLink Live

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
   After watching the coverage tonight on TWC the one thing I really noticed is a lot better is the velocity data...the Storm Relative velocities.  Much better resolution.  I don't know if anything has better SRV scans but it would be nice.  SimuAwips has pretty good Base Velocities but you cannot zoom in, at least that I know of.  And, still would like to be able to cut slices which GR2 can do. 
   Can anyone who uses GRL2 tell me if the SRV data is better than GRL3?
     Thanks,
       Mark

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 12:22:12 AM »
I believe certain color tables for velocity data in GR3 improves the image a bit…but I can't be too certain on this. The color table I'm using is pretty blocky.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
I believe certain color tables for velocity data in GR3 improves the image a bit…but I can't be too certain on this. The color table I'm using is pretty blocky.
   Mine is the same way.  I have around 5 or so tables for velocity available but alot of them have rediculous colors and are even harder to read.  I usually use the default table one other that uses green/red scheme.  It is amazing that the SimuAWIPS base velocities are almost better than the GRL3.
    Mark

anything