Author Topic: A Matter of Perspective  (Read 3476 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
A Matter of Perspective
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
News stories today from Illinois and Michigan about those without power after the storms Friday.  We were out for 11 days in February after the mega-ice storm.  Makes you wonder what's worse, no power in 25 deg weather or no power and 95 degrees.

At least most of them still have undamaged homes.  Some suffered major damage from falling trees.  Others destroyed by high winds.

Makes you think.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: A Matter of Perspective
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:08:55 PM »
I would have to say no power in 25 degree weather would be worse.
People would freeze to death.
I went through 8 days after Hurricane Francis and while it was no picnic nobody died either.
Generators are your best friend though. :grin:

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
When I lived in North Carolina, we were without power for several days due to Hurricane Fran just after Labor Day. The temps were in the 90s and the humidity wasn't far behind. A few years later, we were without power for 5 days due to an ice storm just before Christmas. Temps were around freezing. If I were to choose which scenario was worse, I'd say the power outage with high temps and humidity by far. When it was cold, we at least were able to heat with the fireplace and cook on the stove's cooktop with gas.

Steve

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »

I grew up in eastern South Dakota which, being in the middle of a continent, experiences extremes at both ends---very hot & humid summers and very cold winters. When I was a teenager our town put all utility lines under ground, so after that we were never without power that I recall.

Here in Michigan the power lines are still above ground, and we lose power all the time and sometimes for days at a time. Having the lines below ground solves a lot of problems.
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »

I grew up in eastern South Dakota which, being in the middle of a continent, experiences extremes at both ends---very hot & humid summers and very cold winters. When I was a teenager our town put all utility lines under ground, so after that we were never without power that I recall.

Here in Michigan the power lines are still above ground, and we lose power all the time and sometimes for days at a time. Having the lines below ground solves a lot of problems.

Seems to me that they would think about incorporating that underground idea into the new smart grid they are talking about building.  It will be interesting to see if they think of it. :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »

Seems to me that they would think about incorporating that underground idea into the new smart grid they are talking about building.  It will be interesting to see if they think of it. :-k

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »
In the cold weather, a lot of people put food outside, or in a shed or garage instead of trying to keep a freezer running.  Not possible in hot weather.

They also used kerosene heaters and fireplaces for heat.  No way to keep cool in hot weather.  

Generators are fine as long as you have fuel.  If you run out and roads are blocked by downed trees, where are you?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
If you run out and roads are blocked by downed trees, where are you?

If the trees fell before you got out, was there a sound?     :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »
In the cold weather, a lot of people put food outside, or in a shed or garage instead of trying to keep a freezer running.  Not possible in hot weather.

They also used kerosene heaters and fireplaces for heat.  No way to keep cool in hot weather.  

Generators are fine as long as you have fuel.  If you run out and roads are blocked by downed trees, where are you?

Sure the roads could be blocked but I have about 4 days worth of fuel so I'm ok for the short term.  My driveway is about 100ft long so I'm sure the chainsaws would be working overtime to clear it as they did last time. Also after 04 hurricanes Florida passed a law that all chain store gas stations must have back up generator power.

blackjack52

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:24:14 AM »
Easier to dress for cold than for heat. You have more temperate control. The trick w/ cold is to have shelter from the wind. With heat, there is no shelter.

Whenever we had to do our Survival School refresher, we always beg for the winter course.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
I can tell ya, 25 degree weather is NOT cold weather. In the winter months, people around here are wearing shorts at 25. If I had to choose between 25 or 95 for a power outtage, I'd take 25.

Now, take -20. I'd sure rather have a power outtage when it was 95.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:02 AM »
I can tell ya, 25 degree weather is NOT cold weather. In the winter months, people around here are wearing shorts at 25. If I had to choose between 25 or 95 for a power outtage, I'd take 25.

Now, take -20. I'd sure rather have a power outtage when it was 95.  ;)

Bob

yupppp i hear you there! lol  25 isnt cold but when its gets below 0 its just plain cold and  bad when you lose power.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co