Author Topic: Cumulus 3 (MX) in progress  (Read 21238 times)

Offline gluepack

• Contributor
    • Jerbils' Weather Site
Re: Cumulus 3 (MX) in progress
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »
It had better be good, lol! I just ordered one on the strength of your post :)

My only concerns are… I'd like to run Win 10 (although that looks pretty simple to install) and, currently, I am using WinSCP for my data transmission.

Out in the bush, in Bulgaria, it costs a bit more than $35. With an 8gb card, a case and a mini WiFi adapter, it is costing me 131 leva (about $73) including delivery.

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
Just in case you didn't know, the Windows 10 that runs on it is not the regular Windows 10. RPi has an ARM processor which will not run x86 operating systems. It's a special Windows 10, meant just for it, and as I understand it, it needs a PC running (regular) Windows 10 to access it. I still live in Windows XP land but I run Raspbian (jessie) on mine, which is free from the raspberry pi foundation and easy to install with free tools that you can download. If you decide to run Raspbian I have just been through figuring out how to get Windows Remote Desktop working to access it (most people use PuTTy, a telnet app along with Xming but I think Remote Desktop gives a better experience and is easier and quicker), and I can help you if you need any assistance. I briefly looked at the ARM version of Windows 10 for it but since I'm running XP I went with Raspbian which has a lot of online support and is the official system of the raspberry pi foundation. The Model B ver. 2 (I know nothing of the earlier ones) can surely act as a main PC for all but the most demanding things. There is an adapter available that allows it to directly interface with VGA also (don't use just any adapter though; that can create problems). I don't have anything with HDMI here but it works great with Remote Desktop just connected to my router. All I have plugged into mine is the ethernet cable, the USB from my station and the power supply. The case I got for mine has a fan but it's not needed. Some don't even use heatsinks but I think those should be on it just to be sure. I have links to the sites that tell how to get set up quickly if you want those but they are for using it with Raspbian.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline gluepack

• Contributor
    • Jerbils' Weather Site
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about the vga adapter. Where I am buying from doesn't offer one so I was just going to nip down to my local computer store and buy one. However, as I am interested in a mini wifi keyboard and have seen one cheap in the UK, through Amazon, I may buy a few things from there and have them shipped. Heh, the price is adding up :)

Yes, I had read about Windows 10 for the Pi on several sites, including MS's and it looks pretty simple.

As far as running X86 apps is concerned (and remote access), I was looking to see if I could use TeamViewer http://eltechs.com/run-teamviewer-on-raspberry-pi/ while away from home and that told me about ExaGear Desktop http://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:23:13 PM by gluepack »

Offline WxFox

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
The VGA adapter I mentioned for it is not an HDMI to VGA adapter. It's a stand-alone adapter that is meant especially for it. Reading on the RPi forums I have seen where some have had serious problems using some HDMI to VGA adapters. I didn't get into the details much as I don't plan to go that way. Remote Desktop can be used via the web also, although I never have so I'm not exactly sure how it's set up. Windows comes with Remote Desktop, of course. You only need to install a single package on Raspbian to make it work, but you may (likely will unless you have an HDMI monitor) have to use PuTTy the first time to get that package installed to use Remote Desktop. On the foundation site at raspberrypi.org there are forums and tutorials and they are the authority on Raspberry Pi. BTW, if you're using serial data into a USB connection (as I am) from your station, Raspbian (jessie anyway, Idk about earlier versions) comes complete with the USB to UART driver built in so no need to worry about that. The VGA adapter, Raspberry Pi, and anything you need can also be purchased from the RPi foundation. I got mine on eBay. Raspbian is free to download (zipped .IMG file).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:35:18 PM by WxFox »
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

CWOP AV346

Offline WxFox

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
The Raspberry Pi Foundation is in the U.K. BTW :)

Oh, and I didn't check out the details of that VGA adapter closely since I'm not using one so you'll need to see what it is. It's talked about on the RPi forums and was designed by one of the people there for the Pi. I've always just used Remote Desktop even on my old Windows XP setup and I'm happy with that. One mouse and keyboard are all I can handle.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:48:48 PM by WxFox »

CWOP AV346

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 02:48:21 PM »
Beta testing has been going on for 11 months now. Is MX any closer to being released?
Beta testers?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
It's available for anyone to use (you have to be registered on the Cumulus forum to be able to download it), so it is already effectively released. Many people are using it now for their live systems instead of Cumulus 1. As I understand it, it's still being called a beta because (a) it is likely to have more bugs than Cumulus 1 (but what software doesn't have bugs?) and (b) it still lacks a few facilities that Cumulus 1 has (but also has some facilities that Cumulus 1 doesn't have).

Eric

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »
Thank you! I didn't know it was available.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 07:54:30 PM »
Latest build is 3033 released today http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12908  and I updated my MX in less than 5 minutes.  Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX can be used interchangeable with the same/current data.

It is stable but still some Cumulus 1 features to come, and from what I have read most issues are in Mono and Raspberry Pi setup (whatever that is  #-o )  I still mostly use Cumulus 1 as the Weather Diary is not yet in MX which I use for my snow recording.

Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
I got the page to come up but no data. Have to go back and re read the release notes  I guess.
Hey Paul does MX still have support for PWS.com, WU, etc?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
Yes MX updates to all that Cumulus 1 does, and now including directly with AWEKAS instead of a file upload and also Weathercloud.

Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:46 PM »
Yes reading the release notes is what Steve loudly mandates ;)

To get a new install to show data you will likely have to copy in your cumulus.ini file (rename to Cumulus.ini) so that all the station settings, etc. are available to CumulusMX otherwise you will have to setup your station again.  And you can also copy in your current data folder to continue with your historical data,

Paul

Offline WA4TM

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
Paul:
 There was a problem in 3033.. Steve sent out 3034 today to take care of it...

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
I noticed that this morning and upgraded to b3034.  Also looks like a bit of a problem with a new version of Mono for those using the Pi.  But the basic program is very stable.

I guess that is why it still is in beta.  I am impressed though, by all the smart folks who are helping to work though those growing pains...  way out of my league.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:01:56 PM by PaulMy »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »
Yes reading the release notes is what Steve loudly mandates ;)

To get a new install to show data you will likely have to copy in your cumulus.ini file (rename to Cumulus.ini) so that all the station settings, etc. are available to CumulusMX otherwise you will have to setup your station again.  And you can also copy in your current data folder to continue with your historical data,

Paul
Very busy now at work, Fedex, so I'll probably try again on Thanksgiving.

Offline WA4TM

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 07:57:38 PM »
That goes to show what i know about the Pi's, I always thought Mono meant it wasn't stereo!!!    :D :D

I noticed that this morning and upgraded to b3034.  Also looks like a bit of a problem with a new version of Mono for those using the Pi.  But the basic program is very stable.

I guess that is why it still is in beta.  I am impressed though, by all the smart folks who are helping to work though those growing pains...  way out of my league.

Paul

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
Has this version actually gone live yet? I've seen some people running this, hoping  I can get my hands on it soon.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 07:42:36 PM »
I'm running build 3041 without any issues. Very stable.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 08:30:59 PM »

hoping  I can get my hands on it soon.
If you haven't located the download zip, it is at the bottom of this post http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12908&start=30#p101008
The download follows, as an attachment. Note that you need to be a registered forum user to see the download.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »
Has this version actually gone live yet? I've seen some people running this, hoping  I can get my hands on it soon.

It's likely going to be in beta for some time given what Steve's next adventure is.

If you haven't already, you'd be better off registering at the Cumulus forum.  I used Cumulus 1.x for quite some time before going back to Weather Display.  I realized I didn't need all the bloat that I was getting for it.  I switched back, and then last year, put MX on a Pi running Mono and it has run nearly flawlessly now for about six months this way.  The MX forum is quite robust with people who know the ins and outs and actually have had someone create a running startup/status/stop script for MX exclusively on Linux/Pi.

That's not to say I didn't like Weather Display...much the contrary.  But it has a lot of stuff on it that I don't need, and MX is a great compromise.  No GUI and runs in the background very quietly and resource-efficient.  I like the idea of the dashboard via web page.  It's just plain simple to use.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Greg_M

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2017, 11:55:09 AM »
MX will not run on XP, you have to use Cumulus 1.
It is because Cumulus MX requires .NET Framework 4.5 which will not run on XP.
I am using Cumulus 1 with my WMR968 on XP and find it very pleasant.

Offline WxFox

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 02:29:07 PM »
I went back to Cumulus 1 a long time ago, mainly because I didn't want to alter or replace my site template. Cumulus MX doesn't send graphics to the server like Cumulus 1 did and my template needs that or to be altered and the alteration doesn't suit my aesthetic values. I do know of a new template that does work with MX (also Cumulus 1) that is awesome and very classy, both in aesthetics and function and it even switches to mobile view for phones and tablets.

CWOP AV346

Greg_M

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2017, 03:50:37 PM »
I do know of a new template that does work with MX (also Cumulus 1) that is awesome and very classy, both in aesthetics and function and it even switches to mobile view for phones and tablets.

Do tell

Offline WxFox

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
I figured someone would ask. Here's a demo: https://weather34.com  Check it out well. All it needs uploaded from Cumulus is realtime.txt and it works with other weather software also.

Info and download: https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/

The setup works a little differently (it's awesome) so be sure to read everything. Let me know how it goes. The creator is a member here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=14134

CWOP AV346