Author Topic: 500 (and 404) errors on wxforum  (Read 3318 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
500 (and 404) errors on wxforum
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:26:57 AM »
Getting a lot more of these lately on the site.  Not just during busy times of day.   Already had several between 6am and right now.  There is no common time it happens, sometime on a "show unread..." sometime "show new replies..." and sometimes just clicking on a topic.

Usually a few "backs" and re-click gets you where you were trying to go.

Andrew

Code: [Select]
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@wxforum.capeweather.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.wxforum.net Port 80

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: 500 (and 404) errors on wxforum
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
I have seen them quite a bit, too.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:48:53 AM »
   Ditto.....glad it was not just me.  Thought my computer was acting up.
    Mark

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
Naaa... not your computer, it's the website that has these glitches.

A 500 error (sometimes cast as a 404 error) is likely due to having a PHP process terminated on the server.
HostGator sets a limit on concurrent processes available by account, and we (WXforum) share the hosting with Chris' popular capeweather.com website and the Southeasternweather.net website.  So together, all three sites can have only so many PHP processes running and when the limit is reached, the next attempt for a PHP page gets a 500 (404).

Chris and I do have plans to move WXForum.net in the future to a less-loaded venue, but for now, if you get a 500/404 error and it doesn't go away in a couple of minutes, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
This went away for a while, but has started up again.  quite a few today.  Around 6:30 am, and just now.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »
I figured it was just some sort of glitch...I get them in waves....Got about 3 of them within 2 days...havent had any since and thats been a couple weeks ago :-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything