Author Topic: Heavy Weather & Vista  (Read 10678 times)

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
Heavy Weather & Vista
« on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
I have only just joined the forum today.

I have the La Crosse WS-2307 on order from Ebay here in Australia so I am waiting for it to arrive.

My questions are, Does the Heavy Weather software work under Vista?
Can I set the software to record data at a certian time each day?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Heavy Weather & Vista
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:33:05 AM »
I have only just joined the forum today.

I have the La Crosse WS-2307 on order from Ebay here in Australia so I am waiting for it to arrive.

My questions are, Does the Heavy Weather software work under Vista?
Can I set the software to record data at a certian time each day?

It should work if:

1) You have a real serial port or a reliable USB to serial adapter. Always use a real serial port if possible.
2) If it is a multi-core processor, run the HW app on one processor by setting the processor affinity. You can make a batch file to do this.

You could schedule it to run if you create a scheduled task (control panel). I am assuming scheduled task are still available under Vista.

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »
Thanks, I never thought of the task scheduler, Once I get the weather station set up I will try it.

The machine I want to run the software on is a pentium 4 so it is single core.

When the programme takes a recording is this recording include the date and time it was taken, so I know when it was recorded?.

I plan on taking readings twice a day 9 am and 3 pm and then put the data into an excel file.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
Thanks, I never thought of the task scheduler, Once I get the weather station set up I will try it.

The machine I want to run the software on is a pentium 4 so it is single core.

When the programme takes a recording is this recording include the date and time it was taken, so I know when it was recorded?.

I plan on taking readings twice a day 9 am and 3 pm and then put the data into an excel file.

After you run Heavyweather, it will read from the console the history and save this to a file called history.dat that can be exported. The interval at which it stores data is determine in the Heavweather setup. Once you get the software, you will easily find that.

When you view the history data, there should be an export button there that will write a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file that can be easily imported in to Excel.

Most people run their computers 24x7 and upload their data to sites like Weather Underground.

See:

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Personal_Weather_Stations

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
Got the weather station yesterday and so far I have got the base station unit and the temp sensor going as a test overnight.

Software works ok with Vista. However the date shown in the history file is one day out while the date on the base station is correct. What causes that and how do I fix it?.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »
Got the weather station yesterday and so far I have got the base station unit and the temp sensor going as a test overnight.

Software works ok with Vista. However the date shown in the history file is one day out while the date on the base station is correct. What causes that and how do I fix it?.

Check it in another day, someone told me that it corrects itself after a day or two.

Also, if you want to upload your data to the weather servers, you run WUHU in direct serial mode and dump Heavyweather:

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »
Everything is now set up and working fine. Just having a bit of an issue with the temp sensor as it is giving a high reading at times. I will put it in a wooden box and paint the box white.

Here is a screen shot.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »

Congrats on getting your system up and running.

Let us know if HW continues to run successfully.

Did you set the Affinity to force HW to run on a single core?

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
I have a second machine which is a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz that I use for the weather station and a couple of other programs. I have that running alongside my main Dual core machine, so the dual core problem was not an issue.

anything