Author Topic: Heavy Weather shuts down  (Read 8457 times)

Offline galeforce

Heavy Weather shuts down
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:31:56 PM »
Hi

As a newbie here please forgive me if this has been covered before but a search hasn't really given me an answer to my problem.
I have just purchase a WS 2350 station which uses the same console as the WS2300. The Heavy Weather software that came on CD with the station loaded ok and is collecting data from the base unit OK
After a period of time it shuts down and I get the message "WSP has encountered a problem and needs to close" . On looking at the details the reason given is error code 0xc0000005.
I have AVG anti-virus installed, run XP home service pack2, Should a try a re-install or any other solutions please
Thanks in anticipation.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Heavy Weather shuts down
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »
http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html  for ideas...

New computer? Only used for weather station? Scanned for viruses/trojans/adware lately?

Do you mean reinstall Windows XP?  :lol: Just kidding... although that often solves many problems...

Reinstalling the software is a real easy first stab at fixing the problem...

Those are the only ideas I've got...

Welcome to the Forum...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
Hi

As a newbie here please forgive me if this has been covered before but a search hasn't really given me an answer to my problem.
I have just purchase a WS 2350 station which uses the same console as the WS2300. The Heavy Weather software that came on CD with the station loaded ok and is collecting data from the base unit OK
After a period of time it shuts down and I get the message "WSP has encountered a problem and needs to close" . On looking at the details the reason given is error code 0xc0000005.
I have AVG anti-virus installed, run XP home service pack2, Should a try a re-install or any other solutions please
Thanks in anticipation.

If the version of Heavyweather you are running is not Heavyweather Beta 2.0, you might want to try that. It is a free download from:

http://www.heavyweather.info/

The one that ships on CD is sometimes 2.1, which is older than 2.0 Beta.

If you are running a multi-core CPU, try setting the affinity to one of the processors. Sometimes applications can crash when using multiple processors.

Offline windy

• Grahams Beach Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »
also try setting the virus checker to not scan the folder where heavy weather is running

Offline galeforce

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 05:24:24 AM »
Hi

Thanks for your replies and comments

The software version that I installed is Heavy Weather Beta 2.0., and my set up regularly scans for any infections from viruses, spyware etc.

I will try a couple of your suggestions and see if that resolves the issue

Offline galeforce

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »
Hi

As a follow up to my original query I appear to have diagnosed the trouble.

The problem lay with the USB/serial adaptor and/or the USB driver software that came with the unit. I have discarded this and connected the console via the serial port option. As a test I have had Heavy Weather running continuously since shortly after my first post, and so far have not encountered any problems.

Hopefully that has solved the issue, but thought that this information might be useful to other users.

Thanks again

Offline windy

• Grahams Beach Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 03:31:49 PM »
the 3600 station does not use standard serial communications and so not all usb to serial convertors or drivers work very well
a good quality convertor and driver should work though

Offline galeforce

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »
Bought a new USB to serial adaptor from Maplins ( £12.99) and setup is now working fine for anyone with the same problem