Author Topic: WeatherLink Issue  (Read 853 times)

Offline WeatherGarrett

WeatherLink Issue
« on: September 02, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
 :grin: Hello!

I am having an issue with my WeatherLink connecting to my Vantage Vue. We had to move the internet to the attic because of previous issues with it being inside the house. My WeatherLink was connected to the internet while it was inside, now because of the move there is nowhere to place the WeatherLink.  ](*,)

If there is anyway I can get something to fix the WeatherLink that would be appreciated.  :-)

Thanks!

Garrett

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherLink Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
1. Move the "internet"? do you mean router?
2. How did your WeatherLink connected to the internet
3. How did your WeatherLink connect to your Vantage Vue?

Offline WeatherGarrett

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:08:05 PM »
To clarify, the Xfinity Modem/Wifi has been located in my attic with a separate wifi router located in the same room as the Vue with the Vue being connected to the router using Ethernet cable. Xfinity equipment developed an issue with IP addresses and Xfinity said I needed to eliminate the router/wifi located and use their equipment located in the attic only. I need a device to push the Vue data wireless-ly to the Xfinity Modem in the attic as I do not have any way to run an Ethernet cable into the attic.  Wifi Signal is good, no construction issues. 

BTW, I do not have the option of moving the Xfinity Modem into the same room the Vue as it also connects to our phone system in the attic.... 

Thanks,

Garrett

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:54:22 AM »
I also have Xfinity. On your modem page there is an option to enable Bridge Mode which lets you use a 2nd router like you originally had. Just curious if that option was enabled. I used a 2nd router for a long time with out any issues with bridge mode. Technically speaking there shouldn't be an issue with using another router.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »
To clarify, the Xfinity Modem/Wifi has been located in my attic with a separate wifi router located in the same room as the Vue with the Vue being connected to the router using Ethernet cable. Xfinity equipment developed an issue with IP addresses and Xfinity said I needed to eliminate the router/wifi located and use their equipment located in the attic only. I need a device to push the Vue data wireless-ly to the Xfinity Modem in the attic as I do not have any way to run an Ethernet cable into the attic.  Wifi Signal is good, no construction issues. 

FYI, I also get my internet service from Comcast (Xfinity), and I did and do use both a third party router and a separate third (?fourth :-)) party wireless access point, with the Xfinity modem configured (by Comcast) in 'bridge' mode.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 01:45:25 PM »
:grin: Hello!

I am having an issue with my WeatherLink connecting to my Vantage Vue. We had to move the internet to the attic because of previous issues with it being inside the house. My WeatherLink was connected to the internet while it was inside, now because of the move there is nowhere to place the WeatherLink.  ](*,)

If there is anyway I can get something to fix the WeatherLink that would be appreciated.  :-)

Thanks!

Garrett

Alternatives would be to get a different logger:

1.  See this topic: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0 - long topic, but page through it.

2.  A Davis logger (USB or Serial), with a connected PC running 24/7.

3.  Or get an additional Vue console, and place that console in the attic (not a good choice, but I had to mention it)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:48:46 PM by dalecoy »

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »

BTW, I do not have the option of moving the Xfinity Modem into the same room the Vue as it also connects to our phone system in the attic.... 

Thanks,

Garrett

One 'textbook' way of solving the problem of converting a cabled internet device into a WiFi device is to use an Access Point. The link (https://www.frys.com/product/8982623) shows one of many suitable (and reasonably inexpensive) devices - one which I own and use in a similar application.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.