Author Topic: 2.0 Migrate option  (Read 2542 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
2.0 Migrate option
« on: June 14, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »
Not sure how many have spotted that a couple of weeks back Davis added a Migrate function from 1.0 to the wl.com 2.0 platform. Couple of caveats:

This is not apparently the trigger for mass migration from 1.0 to 2.0, it's more an option for users who don't wish to wait for the official migration (expected in the next 2-3 weeks if the original timetable still holds).

And it's not clear to me how many settings will be carried over from 1.0 to 2.0 - hopefully most of them but it would be wise to check. Also, it's not clear whether existing archive data is carried across to 2.0. If you're downloading the archive data to eg local WL then it would be wise to do a download immediately BEFORE triggering the migration. Archive downloads can obviously continue after any switch to 2.0 (remembering of course that the device DID is now needed as the station identifier rather than the station username), the only question is whether prior archive data transfers across to 2.0 or not.

Finally migration to 2.0 is not reversible I believe. So any use you might be making of the 1.0 features, eg using the current conditions page in an iframe on your own webpage will need to change to the new embeddable data format.

To use the migration tool, you obviously first need to register a (free) account on the 2.0 platform. Then on the Add Device list you'll now find the Migrate option added as the last item.

This post is just a heads-up, not an encouragement to migrate today! Many users might feel it's safer to wait for the official migration, by when presumably even more testing will have been done. But for those who can't wait...

All that said, I expect the migration option will work exactly as advertised, subject to the caveats above. Might be useful for others for anyone trying the migration to add their experiences to this thread.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:26:20 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: 2.0 Migrate option
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
I'm in no hurry to have new bugs to contend with.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
I'm in no hurry to have new bugs to contend with.

Just to be clear, there's no suggestion that there are any bugs in 2.0 - there are of course a lot of users on 2.0 now. It's simply that I haven't come across many people doing the migration yet and it would be good to hear more experiences.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:34 AM »
This migration does appear to work ok.

Couple of points noted so far.

1) A user or for that matter the owner (as a user) using the links (Wide/Slim/Signature etc) is stick with whatever the owner has set the units too. This is different to V1 where there was an option to change displayed units

2) As one can create/migrate multiple stations under one owner login then the question is when Davis does a forced migration will there be an option to latter consolidate multiple stations or will an owner have multiple logins for multiple stations?   

3) The station identifier (as used in any link) is now quite a complex operand as opposed to the previous user selected station ID with v1

4) A bit more specific Davis advertising being thrown around in the embeddable links 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:42:03 AM »
Thanks Matt - that's good information. couple of quick comments:

Just to be clear, the 'links' that Matt refers to in (1) are the embeddable snapshots of live weather that allow you to embed readings in your own webpage, eg in a preformatted iframe - see example attached.

The URL-type links to the data on weatherlink.com in (3) are undoubtedly a lot more complicated and not something that you would want to retype. But I wonder how often other users would actually want to type them in in practice. If the link is in a web page then the link text can obviously be (much) simpler than the underlying URL. If in an email then you can use copy & paste or a short URL tool. I agree it would be better if it were shorter - I'm all for simplicity - but not sure it's a big deal in practice.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:59:57 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
A while back  I added an IP logger and went the 2.0 route.  So I have one on the original and one on the new.

Davis has a thing here.  IF you want the full package, with all your sensors and that,  like the 1.0,  you have a choice.  You have to pay for it.   Otherwise you get the basic stuff.

Gone is the summary page regrdless that anyone could go to the 1.0 site and see all of your sensors.  That isn't going to be an option.  All visitors are going to get  is the embedded or url.   I don't see a way that the signature embedded works on the signature of any web forum.

The cloud  screen you see on your computer is nice and the phone app is basic.  For example with the 1.0 app on my phone, I can see all my sensors.   I have soil and other temperature.   However,  with the 2.0 app  I see only my basic.

They do have an app "mobilize"  that I understand will be available for our crowd,   but right now for the environemental  setup.    Nice charting and a few things that translate to the cloud app.

A plus is that if you use any web site of your own, such as Leuven,  then you can generate your API right there.    Still has reports to be sent via email, cwop, Globe etc. 

It is a cleaner system.  but I am guessing that Davis would be more willing to improve their new site .   Like it or not,  here we go.

I didn't see by the way the 2.0 migration option on my 1.0 site.  Might be nice for the historical data to be transferred.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »
....Gone is the summary page regrdless that anyone could go to the 1.0 site and see all of your sensors...

Just to clarify that the summary page is still there in V2 showing the Current, Daily highs and lows etc but yes only available to the owner. No doubt the additional sensors are part of the Pro monthly paid scheme which I can't confirm anyway as I don't use. It's like 1 step forward and 2 steps backward

I have only migrated 1 site into a separate V2 account and different V2 login as opposed to the original V1 site. If one tries to create a new V2 account the same name as the V1 account then V2 wants to migrate it and presumably create an individual separate account even though one may already have 1 or several other V2 accounts?

I am still undecided which is the best way to go with V2, a single account for each site or all sites under one account or maybe a split?   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:27:07 PM by Mattk »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:29:42 AM »
....Gone is the summary page regrdless that anyone could go to the 1.0 site and see all of your sensors...

Just to clarify that the summary page is still there in V2 showing the Current, Daily highs and lows etc but yes only available to the owner. No doubt the additional sensors are part of the Pro monthly paid scheme which I can't confirm anyway as I don't use. It's like 1 step forward and 2 steps backward

It's worth remembering that 2.0 is a pretty large and ongoing project. When the migration is complete there will be something like 30,000 users worldwide and growing. The present feature-set is just the story so far, there is a roadmap for a number of further features to be added in the coming months and then with evolution obviously continuing into the future.

One of the features that's due to be added soon is sharing of your Bulletin data with other specific users. This will effectively be on a named user basis, ie it won't be a public feature, but you will be able to invite other account users to have full access to your Bulletin, which will obviously include display of all sensors you have installed.

There are reasons why expanding the embeddable panel to include non-ISS sensors is not straightforward. Remember that, for better or for worse, Davis made the decision that 2.0 should cater for all Davis systems, including EM. But an EM installation could in principle have 100 sensors or more and it would obviously be impracticable to include all of these in a single panel. Even a single soil sensor on an EM may show very different readings from a soil sensor on a VP2.

These (extra sensor) problems aren't unsolvable but they need to be tackled a step at a time and I'm guessing that having made the initial embeddable panels available, there are other priorities, especially the mass migration from 1.0, for now.

I have only migrated 1 site into a separate V2 account and different V2 login as opposed to the original V1 site. If one tries to create a new V2 account the same name as the V1 account then V2 wants to migrate it and presumably create an individual separate account even though one may already have 1 or several other V2 accounts?

I am still undecided which is the best way to go with V2, a single account for each site or all sites under one account or maybe a split?

There are some advantages to having multiple stations under one account - it obviously simplifies the admin. In part it depends whether you want to use the Pro features or not. AIUI it works like this:

There are two classes of device that upload to 2.0: the logger-based devices (IP logger and USB + Weatherlink) and the cell-based ones (Connect and EM). The cell-based ones all need an annual cell plan anyway and the Pro subscription is automatically included in the cell plan price. So all EM and Connect stations are automatically on a Pro plan.

For the logger devices, it's up to you whether to upgrade to Pro or not. If you leave all devices at the Basic level then AIUI you can have an unlimited number of stations in one account. But if you upgrade the account to Pro then you can have up to 3 logger stations taking advantage of Pro status within that account, but no more. Any more than 3 will need moving to a second account, whether or not they are still at Basic tier.

For the great majority of hobbyist users this isn't going to be an issue at all - they will have just one or two Vue/VP2 stations; they can decide whether to upgrade the account to Pro or not, but basically life will be simple.

But for the few here who may manage larger networks of stations then a little more thought may be needed.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:33:41 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »
So as with V1 can the uploaded data be back loaded to WeatherLink from V2 with the basic package? And if not then I suppose the next question would be why not, like it is your data and why should one have to take out a Pro subscription to get your own data back.

Hopefully I am reading this all wrong?   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
So as with V1 can the uploaded data be back loaded to WeatherLink from V2 with the basic package? And if not then I suppose the next question would be why not, like it is your data and why should one have to take out a Pro subscription to get your own data back.

Yes you can download the archive data into local WL from 2.0 Basic. The only difference is that you need to specify the DID of the station in place of the station username in local WL Web Download settings. (v6.0.4 makes this a little clearer). And as with 1.0, on 2.0 Basic you'll only have storage of 10,000 archive records (or 10240 to be precise).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
Thanks John, As for password then it would be the account password? And if there were multiple stations within one account then the same password would apply for all. 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
I just got this email:

As our move to WeatherLink 2.0 proceeds, we are approaching an important update that will affect anyone using the WeatherLink 1.0 API. This may affect you if you use the current API to:
Display data on a personal or community web page.
Share data with a 3rd party service that is dependent on the API.
Access your weather data from our servers.

The current www.weatherlink.com/xml.php API is scheduled to be decommissioned at the end of July, 2018. The new api.weatherlink.com/v1, available in JSON and XML formats, will be the ONLY functioning API after July 2018. This API works for WeatherLink 1.0 and 2.0 and can be used immediately, but it requires the use of a unique API token.

To generate a unique API token: Watch the Generate API Token video

Access the account information in the right sidebar, under the username and account picture.
On the account information page, click Generate API Token.
Fill in the required fields and click the Generate button.
The unique API token will display in the API Token field.

These important changes will help us make continual improvements to the API so that you can access your personal weather station data or share it with 3rd party services faster and with maximum reliability.

If you are aware of any person or 3rd party that may use the WeatherLink 1.0 API, please help us spread the news of the upcoming changes.

Thank you,

All of us at Davis Instruments

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 02:28:01 AM »
Thanks John, As for password then it would be the account password? And if there were multiple stations within one account then the same password would apply for all.

Yes, exactly. The combination is the station DID and then the account password.

(It has to be some scheme like this because in 2.0 the only unique identifier for a station is the DID, but with multi-station accounts each station does not have its own password - the only password is at the account level.)

NB One other quirk we've uncovered: If you want to download data into local WL then the account password needs to be free of special characters (!#* etc). These characters seem permissible in the 2.0 account password, but not for the web downloads of archive data which presumably use different code for authenticating the user.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:32:20 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »
V2 Device info no longer appears to provide details about Date registered, when archive data was uploaded, when data was last downloaded, reboot info, hardware/firmware version etc etc as per V1 My Account>My Device or am I missing something?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 03:16:33 AM »
V2 Device info no longer appears to provide details about Date registered, when archive data was uploaded, when data was last downloaded, reboot info, hardware/firmware version etc etc as per V1 My Account>My Device or am I missing something?

I think that's correct, as far as I can see, though at least some of the items you've listed are available elsewhere. All those data items are obviously still available to the 2.0 platform, I guess it's more a question of whether the designers decided that individual items were important enough to show. But comments and requests for new items can of course be submitted to Davis at support@weatherlink.com .
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »
I just sent an email to support, but I thought that I would post here.

The first is that the barometric plot seems to miss the data from time to time. If I switch to the data view (the option on the same page, not the optional data), the barometer appears along with the Daily High and Daily Low numbers. But the data is not plotted on the barometer chart. This seems to have corrected itself.

The 2nd thing is that the data on the printable page is too light of a gray. This is true on the screen as well, but it is especially a problem when printed. It is barely readable. This also seems to have been fixed..

If anyone has seen the barometer issue, please let me know. (and if you agree about the printed text being too light of gray as well)

Greg H.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:12:13 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF