Author Topic: Missing Data  (Read 909 times)

Offline DAVE Z

Missing Data
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
      My computer that updated my website every 5 minutes with Weatherlink went down about mid March. I hooked up my backup PC to my Vantage Pro 2 and pulled my hard drive from the dead PC and put it in my backup PC. I copied the station folder from my  old HD to my backup PC Weatherlink folder. All my data from the previous months and years  are back except for the first half of March. I do have the data for the 2nd half of March.
    So, I have two WLK files for March now. One WLK  file on my old HD has data logged up to day my old PC died-March 16. My 2nd WLK file on my backup PC has the data logged since March 16. Is there a way to combine the two WLK files so I can get all of the March data on one WLK file? 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Missing Data
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 11:16:50 PM »
By rights there should have been no reason to end up with 2 .WLK files as you should have been able to copy the old file and then download and append to it?

Anyway following is a link to some software that should be able to fix things?
https://www.narsters.com/#/WLKReaderWriter

Offline DAVE Z

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I copied the March wlk file into the new PC and expected WL to append to it but it ignored the 1st 2 weeks of  data and just recorded the last 2 weeks.
    I probably confused my explanation by saying I had two copies of the wlk file. I kept a copy of the original  wlk file because  I don't trust WL with my wlk files. It destroyed 2 months of data in 2016. Since then I do daily backups of my station folder. Apparently WL  has more than one way to destroy data though.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I copied the March wlk file into the new PC and expected WL to append to it but it ignored the 1st 2 weeks of  data and just recorded the last 2 weeks.

Are you sure you copied the previous March wlk file to the correct place though (the station folder for the active station)? If you did indeed do that then there's no obvious reason why new March data shouldn't have been added to the existing file (assuming that the file name wasn't changed in any way).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline DAVE Z

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 01:28:27 AM »
I could have messed up but at this point it is water under the bridge. I just need to combine the two files as one. I tried to load the software that was suggested but it would not load.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:25:41 AM »
What archive interval are you using?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.