Author Topic: How does algorithms work for higher temp removal from map  (Read 1121 times)

Offline bdh

How does algorithms work for higher temp removal from map
« on: March 14, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Can anyone on here explain to me how WU algorithms work to remove High temp stations from weather map? I have an Acurite 5-1 reporting with an access for bridge was using hub.  I have 2 stations now southwest of me that are always lower in temp and slower getting up to temp compared to mine. These 2 stations in the past used to be offline a lot but now they seem to be online enough to compare with mine and I end up getting removed from map for 4-6 hrs a day when it’s sunny.  When it’s cloudy or night time this does not happen, so I would like to understand how WU determines when and how to remove station Icon from map. All my data still gets logged in the charts there are no gaps in missing data and I do not get the dreaded Icon that this weather station is not reporting, just no Icon in map box or on wundermap.
I have also posted a thread with more detail on this in the Acurite section

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34077.0

My station ID  KINVINCE3
 2 other of the closest and always lower temps when it is sunny stations SW of me KINVINCE4  MIN015

I have other stations farther away from me that are more in line with or even higher than my temps when it is sunny and they do not get removed from map

Thank You BDH  :-(

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: How does algorithms work for higher temp removal from map
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »
I know this is more than a week old, but if you're still listening....there is no logical process.  Two stations I monitor come and go with no apparent connection to anything in the real world.  They even keep their little gold badge throughout their absence.  Like yours, the data is still there but they go missing on the maps.  Consider it a WU "feature", kinda like winning the lottery if yours actually does appear.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »
Keep in mind  that stations that appear to have been removed are actually just crowded out on the map...you may only see your station if you zoom in enough.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:48:20 PM »
Keep in mind  that stations that appear to have been removed are actually just crowded out on the map...you may only see your station if you zoom in enough.
9 times out of 10 it is a failure on WU's end.  They don't come back no matter how far in you zoom.

Offline theslydog

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
9 times out of 10 it is a failure on WU's end.  They don't come back no matter how far in you zoom.

There needs to be more removals if you ask me. There seems to more and more stations coming on line that are clearly wrong and have just been "plugged in" and no effort what-so-ever has been made to calibrate them.

There are so many clearly wrong that have a gold star it is annoying and makes me wonder if WU use any algo at all. I only trust a very limited number of stations that I know are looked after and accurate. The rest are just in the road and a waste of bandwidth.

anything