Author Topic: Here We Go Again ... VP2 Console Issue  (Read 615 times)

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Here We Go Again ... VP2 Console Issue
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »
After working fine for several weeks, my console is on the fritz again. It's reporting 0 for solar and 50.4F for the temperature even though all the stations around me are reporting in the 60's. The diagnostics look fine for reception from the ISS, but the values on the display and the USB logger are just wonky. Rebooting the console fixes the problem for a while, but it always comes back. The tell-tale sign is that the solar and UV read 0 even when it's sunny. It also always happens at the stroke of midnight.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Re: Here We Go Again ... VP2 Console Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
I turned off my CWOP and WU upload to minimize bad data. Just in case anyone's looking.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Re: Here We Go Again ... VP2 Console Issue
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
Trying another channel just in case that's the issue. Seems like I can go a week or two without seeing this issue, so I'll wait and see.

It gets me to thinking about how the console receives from the ISS. Does anyone know if the data is checksummed or some kind of ECC or CRC is used? I was wondering if something that wasn't another Davis station could cause interference and the console might still accept the corrupted data because it wasn't validating that the data received matched the data sent by the ISS.

anything