Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 40920 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 10:21:17 AM »
As I understand this correctly, the data is only uploaded once every hour to WeatherLink.Com 2.0

Where's the facepalm emoji gone? I think I need to use it several times over!

As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed in 2.0 re upload intervals from WLC1.0.

1. AFAICR it has always been the case since wl.com was introduced that archive data packets are uploaded hourly (except for Connect and EM where each data plan interval upload effectively becomes the archive packet).

2. 'Current conditions' data packets are something different for USB and IP loggers. I suspect that their format is similar to if not identical to LOOP packets, but AFAIK Davis haven't publicly disclosed their format. Not that it matters, because these packets are still uploaded every minute, with updates reflected in the Bulletin/dashboard presentation.

As I mentioned upthread, download of archive packets into local Weatherlink still works fine with 2.0 (even for EM stations amazingly enough, though with data restricted to ISS data for obvious reasons). But whether the XML API is still there I don't know - it never was part of the official API in the same way as web download, ie XML is not mentioned in the Serial Tech Ref document.

Edit: I've just checked a live site and the XML still does seem to be there, except obviously you need to use DID in place of user/station name as is the case for all 2.0 downloads.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:06:20 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »
I am going to sit back, wait and see what happens.   
Speculating isn't going to solve anything for me.  I do see that Weatherlink software isn't going to be updated.  Iuse that for selecting transcievers on the envoys.  So i am guessing that Davis is going to migrate their product line eventually to somehting more like their new stuff.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »
Speculating isn't going to solve anything for me.

What speculation? Pretty much everything is known now, other than the migration dates for existing WLC1.0 users and the final new 2.0 API format (there's only a provisional one as yet).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
I presume this applies only to existing weatherlink.com users - i.e. users free with weatherlinkIP or other WL users who have a paid prescription to weatherlink.com.  Is that correct?

Remember this is going to happen in two phases:

Phase I: New registrants to wl.com will see v2, but existing users will continue as is;

Phase II: Existing users will be migrated across to v2 by June 2018, maybe sooner;

This is reasonably sensible and understandable I think. Accommodating only new users to start with will allow numbers to slowly build up and Davis can judge server loads etc etc. And the migration process possibly isn't totally finished and tested as yet; and even when it is, it's still probably prudent to move existing users across in batches.

One of the things that's not 100% clear as yet (to me at least) is how (local) Weatherlink users who don't currently upload to wl.com can start to take advantage of their new apparently free access to wl.com Basic. There's a small process to be explained hereabout exactly how this will work and maybe it won't happen for a bit yet, but once that's done then I've not seen anything to suggest that everyone running local WL won't be able to upload for free to wl.com, at least within the limitations of the Basic plan.

These details might become clearer later in the week.

Is Davis planning on sending out an email to current users as to what to do and what not to do?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Is Davis planning on sending out an email to current users as to what to do and what not to do?

You'll need to ask Davis, but I'd guess that there'll be a Weather Club newsletter highlighting WLC2.0 circulated sometime soon.

But really there's not much new to learn or to know. Newly registered users will see the 2.0 site while existing users will need to await migration in a few months' time. For anyone who's used Weatherlink for Windows then the features and online structure of 2.0 (Bulletin/Data/Chart etc) will be familiar but in a much-improved presentation.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

You'll need to ask Davis, but I'd guess that there'll be a Weather Club newsletter highlighting WLC2.0 circulated sometime soon.

But really there's not much new to learn or to know. Newly registered users will see the 2.0 site while existing users will need to await migration in a few months' time. For anyone who's used Weatherlink for Windows then the features and online structure of 2.0 (Bulletin/Data/Chart etc) will be familiar but in a much-improved presentation.

Thanks ...as a current user (many years), I was able to create a 'new' account (different name) but the data is not there.  I guess that will come as they migrate my station/data.  Still viewable under the old version.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
I have no issue with how weatherlink.com works for me https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a3a3c5e7-b8bd-4910-ba3a-f6ad6e1f09d1, especially as it is free, if I could just get Weatherlink software to run along with Cumulus to have regular WL data.  I just stopped Cumulus and ran WL and after a little time the weather station was downloaded by WL and pretty well immediately my weatherlink.com dashboard bulletin data and map were updated with my 10 min logging interval.  I could like it!

I'll soon stop WL and restart Cumulus, so unfortunately the weatherlink.com data will then be stale.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
Does appear a little confusion in the understanding between the data archive interval and the live data? Nothing has really changed in this regard between V1 & V2 and not sure what all the misunderstanding is about? 

Offline drew

• Shoals Weather
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
The data ARCHIVE is uploaded every 60 minutes. The current conditions are still updated every 1 minute. I’m on WL 2.0 as the North Florence, Alabama station. Check out my weather bulletin to see the conditions change every 60 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Drew Richards

Offline Damien49

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2017, 12:47:45 PM »
With this good news I have 2 questions:

1. Do you intend to harmonize the both XML files?

- http://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?DID=$my_did&key=$my_key
and
- http://www.weatherlink.com/xml.php?user=$my_name&pass=$my_login

because some variables are in one and not in the other

2. Do you intend to set the daily XML variables to WMO time standards (6h UTC / 6h UTC)?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »

I don't think anyone here knows the answer to the XML question. All that's clear so far is that a working XML API is not currently implemented in 2.0. Maybe Davis are still working on that - there are still quite a number of features still to be released?

The existing binary archive data (available now) and a new CSV format (not yet fully implemented) will both be available hourly to eg developers with appropriate download credentials.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

I don't think anyone here knows the answer to the XML question. All that's clear so far is that a working XML API is not currently implemented in 2.0. Maybe Davis are still working on that - there are still quite a number of features still to be released?

The existing binary archive data (available now) and a new CSV format (not yet fully implemented) will both be available hourly to eg developers with appropriate download credentials.

Somewhere I read that the APi is supposed to be updated about the time the whole thing comes active.  I got this off the FAQ for WL2.0

How can I show my data on my personal website? Do you have an API or a widget option?

Yes. We are building an API for you, which will be available by Q2/2018.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »
Somewhere I read that the APi is supposed to be updated about the time the whole thing comes active.

But there isn't just one 'API' - that's my point. There are - potentially - at least four:

1. Binary archive - available now;
2. CSV - not publicly released yet;
3. 1.0-type XML API - no real news about whether there will be one or not. XML skeleton exists currently as a response to XML requests but not populated last time I heard;
4. Potentially something else, which could be a different XML format, maybe JSON or conceivably something else, eg it would be nice if there were an MQTT feed, but maybe that's too much to expect;

I suspect that what the FAQ refers to is [2]. That's definitely coming and Apr-Jun 2018 sounds about the right time frame.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:02:26 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
Somewhere I read that the APi is supposed to be updated about the time the whole thing comes active.

But there isn't just one 'API' - that's my point. There are - potentially - at least four:

1. Binary archive - available now;
2. CSV - not publicly released yet;
3. 1.0-type XML API - no real news about whether there will be one or not. XML skeleton exists currently as a response to XML requests but not populated last time I heard;
4. Potentially something else, which could be a different XML format, maybe JSON or conceivably something else, eg it would be nice if there were an MQTT feed, but maybe that's too much to expect;

I suspect that what the FAQ refers to is [2]. That's definitely coming and Apr-Jun 2018 sounds about the right time frame.

And thus we wait, with baited breath.  At least they promise to keep the version 1 active ,  I hope they will. so did WU, but then again..

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
At least they promise to keep the version 1 active...

If you mean the v1 interface (ie the blue-sky summary etc) then that's definitely only for a limited period - as yet unspecified, but my guess would be that it will be gone by the end of 2018.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
At least they promise to keep the version 1 active...

If you mean the v1 interface (ie the blue-sky summary etc) then that's definitely only for a limited period - as yet unspecified, but my guess would be that it will be gone by the end of 2018.
well, yeah.   I hope to be transitioned over by then.  I prefer the transition rather than go ahead and reregister now and be screwed . 

Offline Damien49

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
At least they promise to keep the version 1 active

I hope so. It's the only reason I bought weatherlinkIP. A xml files available to my PHP website. But The XML data are very perfectible (harmonization both links and WMO standard for daily data)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2017, 11:00:03 PM »
OK, I'm using my desktop computer (not the one that runs WeatherLink), and I just registered for an account.   Then went to "Add a device".

Have Davis device to install? Click one of the items below to install.
Data Logger
Install WeatherLink software on your personal computer (on 24/7) and a data logger to send data to WeatherLink.com.

OK, click "Install" for USB device.

DATA LOGGER INSTALL
Before you proceed, please make sure you have plugged your Data Logger into your computer and make sure you’ve installed the WeatherLink Software. Connecting the Data Logger to the web will require you to enter a Device ID and Key (provided at the end of this web install) into the software.

Hmmmmm.  Backed out of this....

1.  Do I have to do this from my Weather Computer (the one that's running WeatherLink software)? 
2.  Does it mess with my own WeatherLink software settings?  I'm already using WeatherLink to upload to my personal website, as well as WU and CWOP.

Item 2 above is particularly bothersome, if the procedure deletes any of my setup.  It would be OK if the procedure *ADDS* items.

3.  Should I shut down WeatherLink software before doing this?  Or is a shutdown and restart required?  Or a reboot of the computer?

Or, if these important details are available somewhere, where did I miss them?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
Received an email a few days ago from daviswebdev advising my WeatherLink Pro Trial would expire in 5 days and to upgrade now to avoid being downgraded to WeatherLink basic.

Now to start with had never received an email to advise of any free trail in the first place and second all my sites are still on V1 so a bit of a jumpy start on this one.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2017, 03:24:39 AM »
Received an email a few days ago from daviswebdev advising my WeatherLink Pro Trial would expire in 5 days and to upgrade now to avoid being downgraded to WeatherLink basic.

Now to start with had never received an email to advise of any free trail in the first place and second all my sites are still on V1 so a bit of a jumpy start on this one.
I received a followup e mail stating that those e mails were sent out by mistake...Your free 30 day trial of pro will begin when your migrated over to v2.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »
1.  Do I have to do this from my Weather Computer (the one that's running WeatherLink software)? 

Not personally had occasion to set up a new WL for Windows upload account to 2.0 yet, but to the best of my knowledge:

The process is no different in principle from 1.0. You need a DID and keycode to enter into WLfW when you set up the uploads to WLC. These two items of information get assigned to you on-screen when you register the account, so there's no need to do it on the same computer at all. Then once you have the (virtual) DID and code, you can go back to WLfW and activate the account using the Weatherlink Network menu option towards the bottom of the Setup menu.

2.  Does it mess with my own WeatherLink software settings?  I'm already using WeatherLink to upload to my personal website, as well as WU and CWOP.

Item 2 above is particularly bothersome, if the procedure deletes any of my setup.  It would be OK if the procedure *ADDS* items.

I'm pretty sure that it's simply an additional task carried out by a separate part of the program to the Internet Settings that control other uploads. AFAIK everything should work together; the only potential issue I can foresee is that if you had a slow/old PC running eg RapidFire as well as other uploads and added WLC2 uploads to that mix then you could conceivably run into CPU capacity/resource issues. The frequent uploads to WLC2 will be once per minute, with the archive increment uploaded hourly.

3.  Should I shut down WeatherLink software before doing this?  Or is a shutdown and restart required?  Or a reboot of the computer?

Don't think that any of this should be necessary. Once you have a valid DID/code setting then the option to upload to WLC becomes ungreyed.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »

Not personally had occasion to set up a new WL for Windows upload account to 2.0 yet, but to the best of my knowledge:

The process is no different in principle from 1.0. You need a DID and keycode to enter into WLfW when you set up the uploads to WLC. These two items of information get assigned to you on-screen when you register the account, so there's no need to do it on the same computer at all. Then once you have the (virtual) DID and code, you can go back to WLfW and activate the account using the Weatherlink Network menu option towards the bottom of the Setup menu.

Thanks for the information.  I have no experience with WL.com - not having a WLIP logger, etc.  I'll try the procedure in a few days, and report back.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I have no experience with WL.com - not having a WLIP logger, etc.  I'll try the procedure in a few days, and report back.

Hopefully you'll find that it's very simple to set up and in practice no more than a couple of minutes each to get your account DID/code and then to set the details in WLfW. It's then your choice how much time you spend exploring the WLC platform, but with 2 points to bear in mind:

1. You should get the Pro level FOC for the first 30 days;
2. The first current conditions data should be uploaded pretty much straightaway, but it may take an hour for the first archive upload;
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

Hopefully you'll find that it's very simple to set up and in practice no more than a couple of minutes each to get your account DID/code and then to set the details in WLfW.

Of course, I know I'll have to enter the DID and Key into WeatherLink for Windows. 

But, just for completeness of our knowledge - do I actually have to use my Weather computer (the one that's actually running WeatherLink software) to get the DID and Key?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
No, as I said, I've not had cause to run through this myself, but 98% sure that the initial interaction is just to register the account and receive a note of the DID & key.

Marginally simpler if you do it on the same PC because then you can just copy and paste the details, but I'm virtually certain that there's no interaction between your browser request for an account and the WL program. The WL version has not changed at all so the process with WL is just the same as it was previously when you received the details by email.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK