Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 40917 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
I suspect that it's taking a few days to switch the system across and that features will appear in stages over the coming days. Certainly one drawback at present seems to be that the system is remembering too strongly what you might have been looking at on a previous browser access and it's more tricky than it ought to be to backtrack eg to a different station - hopefully this might get sorted out.

I really don't want to encourage anyone to create a lot of subsequently-unused logins but remember:

1. Anyone who wishes to view wl.com data in future will need their own login;
2. But you can get a free login irrespective of whether or not you have a signed-up station just by registering a new account with (a previously unused) email address and name;

Then if you go to weatherlink.com (just that) and sign in as a virgin user you'll be able to access the map and hence see the Bulletin data for all public stations. Remember also that this new wl.com2.0 covers both EM AND Vue/VP2 stations, so most of what's on the 2.0 map right now are the small number of EM stations that have been activated and are public. This will obviously change dramatically once the full migration gets under way next year.

Thanks, John. Worked great. At least I can get a little "test drive" on the new WL2.0.  \:D/

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »
Worked great. At least I can get a little "test drive" on the new WL2.0.  \:D/

Sorry, I probably should have added to my post upthread that right now (don't know whether it might change in future) as a virgin user you get to see the weather at Davis HQ initially (the site that's titled 'Davis Instruments' if you subsequently want to go back to it). Thereafter you can pull up the map and see the Bulletin for other stations. But it's only the Davis Inst site that seems to have Chart and Data (but not Mobilize) available AFAICS - this is maybe being used as a more general demo site. In general Basic users can only see the Bulletin for other sites.

But OTOH you're looking at someone else's data and so it looks like the customisability features have been disabled, ie on your own dashboard you can show or omit different sensors, reorder them and also resize them (but only with the option of 2 or 3 sizes). But that's not apparently possible on this demo account.

Hmm, also it looks like - unsurprisingly - there's maintenance going on at present on the accounts - looks like some permissions to access different features are being changed.  So the above is subject to change!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:00:07 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Ok, we have another update - as half-expected.

The button on the weatherlink.com home page has morphed into 'Sign-up Free'. And now when you get you your own account home page there's an Add Device button up at the top right, one of whose options is 'Data logger' (meaning USB or serial logger) along with other options for IP logger, Connect and EM. Won't try this myself as we have other existing wl.com accounts. Maybe someone else can try it & comment (I'm guessing the add-device process generates a virtual DID and keycode?).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:43 PM »
I signed up on the free sign up and got in to see the features, etc.

I don't run WL on my PC/USB full time and therefore presumably my data won't be available until I do, and upload to WL.com.  I haven't understood yet how that would be done.

Pages look quite nice.  I presume the locations indicated on the map are recent new signups and Davis test sites.  Quite a few shown but far from having all areas covered.

Thanks for your updates Johnd

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »
I presume the locations indicated on the map are recent new signups and Davis test sites.  Quite a few shown but far from having all areas covered.

Just to reiterate what I posted upthread, but which has got rather buried now: 'Remember also that this new wl.com2.0 covers both EM AND Vue/VP2 stations, so most of what's on the 2.0 map right now are the small number of EM stations that have been activated and are public.'

Other than Davis test stations, there won't have been any other Vue/VP2 stations until any new sign-ups from today on. 26,000 existing users will still be on the 1.0 map awaiting migration next year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:54:17 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »
The Add Device is essentially meaning add a new station ( as in logger) and is expecting that you have the logger (well in the case of a WLIP) and that you know the DID & Key, there appears nothing virtual. It is also cross matching and won't register existing registered loggers on the original site

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
The Add Device is essentially meaning add a new station ( as in logger) and is expecting that you have the logger (well in the case of a WLIP) and that you know the DID & Key, there appears nothing virtual. It is also cross matching and won't register existing registered loggers on the original site

If you go through the add-device process with a USB logger it will issue a virtual DID and code as expected - I've just checked. And no you can't jump an existing registration across to 2.0 - you need to await migration next year.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »

If you go through the add-device process with a USB logger it will issue a virtual DID and code as expected - I've just checked. And no you can't jump an existing registration across to 2.0 - you need to await migration next year.

Not into USB loggers so didn't look at that one.

Immediate first thoughts are, it's a revenue stream and just maybe the Pro option can be activated by anybody, even if they don't have a station? This appears more about controlling the data at a price to not only the user but also others? Cloud systems can be a bit of a gotcha like this. I think there's a bit more to discover with this setup, things that may surprise some people?

I suppose some of us are just going to have to wait to see the whole picture as of all the WLIP's I have that go back to 2008, I don't have a spare that's not registered.   

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
Again thanks johnd.

Wow, no IP logger and no paid subscription but my data is shown (I stopped Cumulus and started WL). 
Bulletin data shows nicely, and looks like it comes from the computer's WL data files.  Mine currently is from Novemebr 16th to current.
Charts look good
Not yet showing on the map. Mine is now showing on the map!!!
Mobilize says No views available.

There is a Data Export feature...

In the setup it has the correct lat and lon, etc. and site location, name, timezone, but shows country as USA rather than Canada and haven't found yet where I can change that. After a few minutes was able to change it to the correct country!

Enjoy,
Paul

Further edit:
More features everytime I open and look at other screens:
Has a screen for Uploads to WU, Globe and CWQOP
Has email notification
Has sending Daily summary
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:47:31 PM by PaulMy »

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

Thanks for all these informations

OK, I registered and I got virtual ID and KEY.
If I correctly understand, I need Weatherlink 6 ? 
I'm still running 5.9.3 because of possible compatibility issues with Virtual VP.   

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »
and they have released the smartphone app for 2.0.   I downloaded and tried to access my station with my current information and it  wouldn't take it.  So  I am guessing that  when the migration happens, that information will change .   OR  the app isn't functioning yet.   and so is progress 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
I'm still running 5.9.3 because of possible compatibility issues with Virtual VP.   
I am running 6.0.2 and dropped VVP years ago due to constant failures with Windows 8 on my weather computer.  It would be nice to use it again so can run both Cumulus and WL but will not abandon Cumulus for WL for sure!

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
Wow, no IP logger and no paid subscription but my data is shown

Would this be the 30 day free Pro trial activation?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »
Not 100% sure but I think I selected the Basic.  Not at my weather computer at the moment.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
I am at the point of getting ready, just in case things go awry during the migration.

I have the weatherlink IP and I also have an Envoy with a usb logger.    I use the WL IP  to update my webpage (Leuven) because  when I go on trips that are several days, particularly in the summer,  I shut down my computer, but leave the modem up and running.   I figure that if the power goes out and the UPS drains  completely, upon power coming back on, the UPS comes up and the logger and modem are now working again.   Also, in the summer I do not have the air conditioning on.  the added room heat gets up around 85F and the modem will be fine.

So I am going to let things lump along.   However,  in the meantime,  I have configured WC to send the files to the weather28 /uploadWC file the things it needs to work.  IF IP goes tits up, then I will run WC as the source and modify  the Leuven template for my site.

What I have been doing is using WC to gather data . The data I put into Excel and then use the results to keep weather data.  I have been doing that for 20 years now. No one seems to care about the data, but I keep it anywhere and trends.

So  I guess I , like most, will just have to see where this goes. 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:53 AM »
Bulletin data shows nicely, and looks like it comes from the computer's WL data files.  Mine currently is from Novemebr 16th to current.

No I think what's happening is that the first upload of archive data will upload everything that's currently in the logger (and dates will then obviously depend on what archive interval you have set) but doesn't touch the archive files. The ability to upload past data from archive files is a feature flagged for future introduction, but this will be a Pro feature. Basic users will be limited to 10240 records (ie 4x standard logger)

Charts look good

Remember that Basic features are free to all (Bulletin/Map/mobile app) but others (Chart/Data/Mobilize) are Pro features, so they must have activated the 30-day free trial of Pro for new Basic sign-ups. I don't know as yet exactly which category things like WU uploads (Basic I'm guessing). daily summaries, alarms etc will appear in.

In the setup it has the correct lat and lon, etc. and site location, name, timezone, but shows country as USA rather than Canada and haven't found yet where I can change that. After a few minutes was able to change it to the correct country!

Yes the initial sign-up screen is a little disconcerting for location when it just shows a close-up of San Francisco (maybe this will change), but I found that you can just enter a UK postcode and that's all that's needed to fully identify the location.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:01:00 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
No I think what's happening is that the first upload of archive data will upload everything that's currently in the logger (and dates will then obviously depend on what archive interval you have set) but doesn't touch the archive files. The ability to upload past data from archive files is a feature flagged for future introduction, but this will be a Pro feature. Basic users will be limited to 10240 records (ie 4x standard logger)
As I run Cumulus full time, I shut it down twice a month to run WL and keep the WL data up to date using 10 min logging interval.
The last previous time I had run WL was about 5:15 pm November 16th at which time I had 469 pages 92% to download and WL was then up to date.

Yesterday Nov 29 I ran WL at about 6:30 pm when I signed up for weatherlink.com.  The data on weatherlink.com then went back to November 16th 5:20 pm which was then the last time WL had read from the logger (but not going back to all the data that would be in the data logger as that should be around November 13th - 17 days).
As I was testing weatherlink.com yesterday and in WL occasionally downloading the weather station the weatherlink.com data updated at the 10 min interval.  I eventually shut down WL and ran Cumulus.

This morning, November 30 and still running Cumulus, weatherlink.com still only showed data to the time I shut down WL yesterday.
This morning I ran WL and downloaded 19 pages 4% from the data logger.  Weatherlink.com then showed all the data that was downloaded from the logger yesterday, going back to November 16, and up to current November 30.

So in my experience weatherlink.com initial data comes from the last previous download from weather station (data logger) date to current, and subsequent data added on from new data logger downloads.  Makes sense!

If the basic package limits to 10240 records then for 10 min interval that would be 71 days which would not be a replacement for alternate web data storage, but is a nice free feature to display one's local weather.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »
Maybe it’s just me but I’m not that impressed with the WeatherLink 2.0 iPhone app. There is not that many features on it, I think the Forecast is coming from Weather Underground (not only I think it’s a bad source, the forecast it shows is not very easy to interpret). You would think the app would give you notification options and maybe a widget but it does not.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »
I loaded it and there are some nearby stations that are already on initially or migrated.   I had to use a different username and password, but  I couldn't find my station.  I am guessing that it is on the 1.0 server and hasn't been migrated to the new one of yet.  Eh....

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »
Upload interval for 2.0  ???  once every hour

This is the question at the bottom of the page https://www.davisnet.com/weatherlink/
What Is The Update Frequency Of Weather Data To WeatherLink.Com 2.0?

ANSWER: WeatherLink IP and USB-or-Serial Data Logger: You can set your reading interval to 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour, or 2 hours. This data is uploaded to our server every hour (Example: WeatherLink IP with 15-min interval will send up data every hour with 4 sets of readings. While a 30-min interval will be sent every hour with 2 sets of readings.) You can set the interval in your console or your WeatherLink PC Software.
Vantage Connect and EnviroMonitor: Your data upload interval depends on your subscription plan — 5 min, 15 min, or 60 min.

As I understand this correctly, the data is only uploaded once every hour to WeatherLink.Com 2.0
Even if the "upload" interval is set at once / minute.

QUESTION:
The  current IP-loggers are not changed (yet), they want to upload every so many minutes.
Is a firmware update in the pipeline to change that frequency?

USABILITY:
To use the WeatherLink.Com 2.0 data on our own websites, the 1 hour not changing data is worthless.
We need current data at the old upload interval, which is often set to every 1 or 5 minutes.

So if they really upload to WeatherLink.Com 2.0 once / hour, there is no way we can continue to use the "stand-alone WL-IP  logger"  ($295 device)  as the sole source of our weather-data. We are forced to use a Meteobridge or PC to connect the logger and use a decent upload interval.

New users can then use a far less expensive USB-logger ($165) which offsets the extra Meteobridge costs.

Wim.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 08:27:57 AM »
1 hour interval? Is that a joke?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
1 hour interval? Is that a joke?
OMG  They sound just like WeatherUnderground with it came to the camera pictures from Bloomsky. They updated every hour or more.   Well,  I had better, when that time comes, get the template converted back to using weather cat.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
I sent them an email this morning for clairification.     https://www.davisnet.com/resources/weather-monitoring/#support

I then read this "... This data is uploaded to our server every hour (Example: WeatherLink IP with 15-min interval will send up data every hour with 4 sets of readings. While a 30-min interval will be sent every hour with 2 sets of readings.).."   that would mean to me that it sends data every 15 minutes, with 4 sets in one hour  or the option of sending 2 sets every30 minutes."  what is it now.

Their API is due for Weatherlink 2.0  in February 2018.

Then they have this gem,  it seems the basic information  will be free and the graphs and things cost 3.95$US a month.   I guess the free lunch is a thing of the past

Are WeatherLink.com 2.0 features free?

Yes. Bulletin and Map features are available to you for FREE.

To access Chart, Data and Mobilize features, upgrade your account to Pro Tier for only $3.95/mo by clicking ‘UPGRADE PLAN’ button in the User Account dropdown menu.

If you are an existing or a new Vantage Connect or EnviroMonitor user, you will get the Pro Tier access as a part of your regular monthly service fee.

If you are an existing WeatherLink.com user with an active WeatherLink Network Annual Subscription (WeatherLink.com 1.0 “blue page” subscription), you will be prorated for the remaining duration of your subscription with an upgraded Pro Tier full of advanced features (Data, Chart, Mobilize).

Yup definitely am going to need to get Weathercat up and operational on my computer.  Might be time for reality to set in and get rid of my website,

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
Sales of the more and more outdated Davis Pro 2 probably going down.....

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
I then read this "... This data is uploaded to our server every hour (Example: WeatherLink IP with 15-min interval will send up data every hour with 4 sets of readings. While a 30-min interval will be sent every hour with 2 sets of readings.).."   that would mean to me that it sends data every 15 minutes, with 4 sets in one hour  or the option of sending 2 sets every30 minutes."  what is it now.

To me that is it sends data once per hour. What a joke!