Author Topic: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced  (Read 40922 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2018, 03:25:48 AM »
I haven't come across the answer so maybe a query for John?

IF Davis bulk migrate stations from V1 to V2 and for argument sake they are called A, B, C, D, E, F etc then my guess V2 would be separate accounts, separate logins for accounts/stations A, B, C, D, E & F etc?

Can the user being the owner then modify/re-arrange the stations into separate groups or would Davis have to do this? So I want leave A as is (single station in it's own account), roll station C into B account this have stations B & C in account B, account C would now be empty, then roll D, E & F together into a totally different new account leaving accounts D, E & F empty?

Understandable if I manually migrate these stations (now) then I get them the way I want but if Davis does this in the dark of night what flexibility does one have after the event? 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2018, 05:25:31 AM »
I haven't come across the answer so maybe a query for John?

Sorry, I don't know - there's not been any announcement as yet from Davis about such details. The issues like the one you've raised are probably what's being worked on right now. Although all the fundamentals of 2.0 seem to be solid and working well, there are a surprising number of edge cases and particular circumstances that are having to be worked through.

It's not even clear as yet whether there is going to be a mass/involuntary migration instituted by Davis or if instead they will circulate an email highlighting the manual migrate option and inviting users to migrate themselves, maybe with a future date (eg 31st Dec 2018 after which migration will be enforced). I just don't know which option will be preferred.

If I hear anything more then I'll post here. FWIW, I do think that 2.0 is a real step forwards and that any short-term pain will be worth it in the long run. There will certainly be details that don't suit everyone but it would be good to think that Davis will listen to feedback and tweak things accordingly (but probably not until the migration is complete or at least well under way).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »
I did email a list of V2 "concerns" today and received an automatic response re changes to the API with a proviso that if I was emailing about another topic then to please standby for a reply as soon as possible. The wheels they are a turning.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2018, 03:19:00 AM »
Seems likely that that there will be some changes to 2.0 accounts imminently, maybe even today, including the ability to share data (but by invitation from the station owner only I'm guessing). But sharing will need a Pro account (or higher).

There are also indications that the mass migration of remaining 1.0 stations will happen in batches during September, though that's yet to be confirmed and I guess the speed of migration will depend on reaction from the first batch. There are potentially many users (I'd estimate 75-80%) still on 1.0 and maybe some of them will find things to complain about on 2.0 - I'll be surprised if there are too many actual technical problems with the migration because this appears to be quite well sorted now, but unfamiliarity with the 2.0 interface will doubtless upset some.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2018, 04:01:33 AM »
Well they need to sort their bugs out yet before they mass migrate anything, they have been told, some minimal as this point but generally thanks for your email we will get back to you soon.

The more they push certain aspects of V2 in regard trying to push people in Pro then they are going to get some backlash as I for one will have absolutely no problem with dumping the entire V2 scheme. period.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2018, 05:03:43 AM »
What are the actual bugs as opposed to features that may have changed vs 1.0? I'm not sure that I'm aware of any remaining bugs as such (ie features that aren't working as designed) - not saying there aren't any of course, but there's nothing I can think of right now that falls into the bug category.

But certainly there are and will be different ways of doing things with 2.0. And sure, if people find them too limiting then I guess they'll vote with their feet (or by not opening their wallets). But it's not too obvious what the alternatives are if you want a cloud platform for weather data with the various features and flexibility of 2.0.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2018, 06:22:20 AM »
One of the Key points from Davis was V2 would not take away any V1 functionality. Well so far I for one don't see this as being the case.

Some of the issues/bugs I have are currently in the system somewhere but unsure when there many be a resolution or fix. At this point Davis have the details, if there's no fix then I will certainly expand. 

Just for the record there is not a lot of flexibility from V2 at the moment, becoming Davis's way or the highway, their choice in this instance. 

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »
Well so far I for one don't see this as being the case.

One thing that used to work in v1 and does not in v2 is the ability to capture a URL for the old "blue sky" display for any station and bookmark, or set a link in a web page. I used to do just that for local Davis stations.

With the new embedded page with has a code that only the station owner can share, this is no longer possible. Since I subscribe to "Pro" I can view the data in their "Bulletin", but no longer can I embed it in my page.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
One thing that used to work in v1 and does not in v2 is the ability to capture a URL for the old "blue sky" display for any station and bookmark, or set a link in a web page. I used to do just that for local Davis stations.

With the new embedded page with has a code that only the station owner can share, this is no longer possible. Since I subscribe to "Pro" I can view the data in their "Bulletin", but no longer can I embed it in my page.

Not 100% sure what you mean:

If you go to a station on the 2.0 map then you can get access to that station's Bulletin and bookmark or otherwise save the URL and then call that up in future.

AFAIK this works from a Basic account, though I've only got a Pro account to hand right now to check from.

The only thing that's changed is that the URL is too long and not very memorable because it contains a UUID (or something similar). But that's partly inevitable because in 2.0 accounts allow multiple stations and so the account name  doesn't uniquely identify a station. I guess Davis could have used the DID in the URL - not really sure why they didn't - but DID's aren't a lot more memorable than a UUID.

But maybe I've missed your point?

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »
But maybe I've missed your point?

You did. The bulletin works fine and I can view the data on the other stations. The "embeddable" screen like this: https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/36dd565fa0c34d82a26e2ce9c1b38abb/wide requires knowledge of the hex code razzle-dazzle in order to work. This has to be shared by the station owner. (or at least already used on a public web site)

The old "blue cloud" display did not. You could just copy the URL that could be had from the map. Mine now shows as expired, but here is that link: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/miraculon/ The stations that are still active on the V1 map show a link that take you to the "blue cloud" display. That was my point that these were readily usable/accessible for whatever purpose.

Greg H.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
OK, so you can no longer embed other peoples' data (in eg the form of the embeddable panel)  in your own website without their permission? Is that the issue?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »
I think if you look at Davis’ YouTube video they have addressed sharing in the context this discussion.

https://youtu.be/pN3RzZMB5_c

https://youtu.be/0hl5Rtn5x_k

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »
I think if you look at Davis’ YouTube video they have addressed sharing in the context this discussion.

I don't think that's what miraculon is complaining about - see my previous post.

NB I see that the latest 2.0 update is now active!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:14:24 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
Maybe John can explain what is meant by the terms
- Device Upgrades (between the different tiers)
- Upload rate is noted as 15 minutes for basic. What does this affect, current data or upload/download data?

That RH side bar still needs to do something different or else relocate the upload date/time details which hide behind it. 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2018, 06:07:06 PM »
Left of the Share arrow (Bulletin page Top right side left of the Device Tier) there is a ribbon looking box that when clicked blacks out, clicked again clears, have not seen what this may be doing, anybody know?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Bit of a warning note to be a little careful if you have multiple accounts as for some reason my multiple accounts that had individual stations between them now are showing identical stations in both accounts (separate account name/password) but unsure how the hell the system managed to get cross referenced?   

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:49 AM »
Just to confirm be very vary re the sharing with this V2 update last night as it is totally screwing up shared stations and getting absolutely lost then between accounts especially as I have if you have multiple accounts. At this point is as if it is a cookie type problem and logging in to different accounts on the same machine continues to pull up the previous accounts settings?

Not being able to open up 2 or more totally separate accounts in separate windows at the same time on the same machine is also a buggy thing.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2018, 08:34:55 AM »
OK, so you can no longer embed other peoples' data (in eg the form of the embeddable panel)  in your own website without their permission? Is that the issue?

There are only three Davis stations in my town.

• One is my own.
  • The 2nd is the Marina. I have the Harbormaster's permission and he gave me the login credentials for Weatherlink to manage it for him.
  • The 3rd is a friend who gave me verbal permission to post his data. He hasn't sent me the iframe URL, but I am afraid that he might not understand what I was asking for.

With the prior scheme, I could just copy the URL and make my own iframe entry. Assuming the permission has been granted, this creates the need to have station owners take the time to capture the iframe URL and email it. Many people (two out of three for me) are either intimidated by the process or don't understand what I am asking for and how to do it.

Greg H.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
With this latest WL2 upgrade there is now an additional option to "Share" a station with another user but this other user needs to have an account and you need to know the other users ID and then in turn the owner can delete this share anytime they like. This share is different to getting the URL for the limited cut down version of what one could do with WL 1.0.

With this latest upgrade there just appears to be more and more of this pro subscription stuff being pushed at every turn. I have pushed this latest failure with multi accounts to support plus some other issues but so far no feedback, so unable to go any further at the moment with migrating any more stations and may simply start looking for the Delete button next.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »

There are only three Davis stations in my town.

• One is my own.
  • The 2nd is the Marina. I have the Harbormaster's permission and he gave me the login credentials for Weatherlink to manage it for him.
  • The 3rd is a friend who gave me verbal permission to post his data. He hasn't sent me the iframe URL, but I am afraid that he might not understand what I was asking for.

With the prior scheme, I could just copy the URL and make my own iframe entry. Assuming the permission has been granted, this creates the need to have station owners take the time to capture the iframe URL and email it. Many people (two out of three for me) are either intimidated by the process or don't understand what I am asking for and how to do it.

Greg H.

Arthur C Clarkes 3rd Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
@miraculon: OK that sounds an innocent enough scenario, but the problem is that the previous approach was open to easy abuse whereby anyone can come along and steal your data (and potentially aggregate it on a large scale) and leaving you none the wiser?

OK on 2.0 they can still steal your data if they have a pro account, but now they need to know your station DID and the owner's password first.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »
Well at the moment I can't even steel my own data even knowing the account and password due to multiple occurrences in multiple accounts. Wouldn't call being able to link to a web page as stealing "data" as the data is something quite separate and a different issue.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
Well at the moment I can't even steel my own data even knowing the account and password due to multiple occurrences in multiple accounts.

Not quite sure how you've managed to get the same station in more than account (unless it's an EM station, but I thought you had regular VP2s?). But from now on the principle will be:

Every station will have a single identified owner - in other words it will be owned by a single specific account.

With a Pro account it will be possible to share that station's data with other accounts (within limits) by following the sharing procedures. Sharing means two things really: being able to access the station's Bulletin directly; and being able to download that station's archive data.

But difficult to comment further without knowing the details of your issue.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
Has all been sent to Davis, something for them to sort out. Similar with not being able to open totally different accounts in totally different windows at the same time, don't see the reason why?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
Just noticed a new feature (weatherlink.com free)In the drop down from my KomokaWeather station name there are 3 items:Owned - which is my stationSaved - which has 3 stations listed 2 of which I can get their Bulletin page (nothing else) and 1 that gives a 500 Internal server errorShared - which is blank.
I have no idea how the 3 saved stations show up as I don't know them nor recall doing anything on this and they are in IA, OH and NE.  Would that have been initiated by those station owners?It seems that this would be a quicker way to go to a favourite site rather than using the Map

Enjoy,Paul

anything