Author Topic: Couple console items missing on MB Pro  (Read 1979 times)

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
Couple console items missing on MB Pro
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
I noticed a few items that are present on the Davis console are missing in the MB Pro. Since the Pro replaces the console, it would only make sense MB Pro support these features to the best of it's ability.

Evapotranspiration results (which is a selector from MB) are  not available, even though UV and Solar are connected.
The ET formula is available on the web and can be integrated by MB Pro.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
Re: Couple console items missing on MB Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Evapotranspiration results (which is a selector from MB) are  not available, even though UV and Solar are connected.
The ET formula is available on the web and can be integrated by MB Pro.

Dont think that will ever happen, its been a very long time since I asked Boris about this.

Regards

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »
It seems like anything you ask him to add it's always no.
I was going to create a seperate thread about it.
My setup:

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
Yes....but I also like that the software is not filled with all kinds of options requested by maybe a single user - I think it makes the product stable and easy to use, also considering the very limited resources on the standard MB.

And yes, the Meteobridge will never be a console-replacement before ET is supported.

Regards

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
On a regular Meteobridge I will agree, but when I am paying $450 for the Pro and the advertising of it's better hardware, plus the fact it is meant to replace the console for more station combinations, I expect it to support most of the console features. I know not all are possible. It doesn't need a ton of stuff added to it, just a few things like ET and a Humidity calibration option.
My setup:

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »
On a regular Meteobridge I will agree, but when I am paying $450 for the Pro and the advertising of it's better hardware, plus the fact it is meant to replace the console for more station combinations, I expect it to support most of the console features. I know not all are possible.

As stated, I fully agree with that.

Regards

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
I noticed a few items that are present on the Davis console are missing in the MB Pro. Since the Pro replaces the console .......

Where does it say the Pro replaces the console?

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »
That's kind of a catch 22 question. I could answer It's pretty well implied it is meant to when it has a radio integrated into it that reads the sensor data. You can't use the console and the Pro combined to report to WU, now can you? It's either-or. If you use the Pro to report the console data, why spend $450? The point of it is to replace the console so you can have more configurations the console itself does not support, like a seperate UV/Solar station or multiple ISS stations.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:58:35 AM by azchrisf »
My setup:

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »
I think you make a bit too much noise about a feature that is from your point of view missing, but has never been told to be there. What makes the MB PRO valuable is the wide range of things it can do in uploading to networks, visualization of data etc. If you conclude that it is overpriced or disfunctional because of not providing ET values as the console does, then don't go for it.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
I make one thread expressing my desire for the feature, and I make too much noise. Ohhhhkay.
As long as were being honest here, let me be blunt: You need to start listening to your users and add things they request.
Not withstanding my requests and true technical roadblocks you encounter, I have seen several threads where you constantly dismiss the requests for one reason or another. Your dismissing this one, and you dismissed my good reasoning for adding a Humidity calibration/offset field that I posted on your Forum. You are also assuming that I am the only person who would like this feature - there may be hundreds out there who could use it - but don't say anything, or just omitted the data from a webpage because it's unsupported.

I shouldn't need to tell you a product becomes great when a developer listens to the needs of his users, not only what he/she thinks is necessary. I develop software myself and have a very large installed base of users I support. It continues to grow because I actively accept suggestions for it and implement them.

Anyways I'm done with my speil. Do as you wish.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:27:45 PM by azchrisf »
My setup:

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »
Oh man, great example how to motivate a developer. But may be this just works for you?  #-o

When you can't survive without ET (which is not provided by the sensors but computed inside the console/envoy by Davis specific algorithms) you can take an envoy8x that can handle multiple ISS etc.

Or as an alternative and being a self-confident developer you can compute ET yourself on the server you are populating the data to. Then you also don't have to do the obvious follow-on debate with me that an ET computation I might invent does not show exactly the same value the console does ;-)

BTW: As you probably know WU and the other weather networks don't handle ET, so MB can still upload to there without you missing anything on that frontier.

P.S.: Meteobridge has a linear humidity calibration feature, but when I remember correctly that was not advanced enough for you and you demanded to have a non-linear one.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:48:41 PM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 04:32:24 PM »
Dont get too excited about ET, it is IMHO better when its not there because these calculations are highly inaccurate.

Im writing my PhD thesis on ET calculations, I know what Im talking about, Ive seen at least 35 formulas, including the most commonly used Penman-Monteith. These are for reference grass - a uniform grass cover with 12cm height etc etc.... small changes in this cause huge inaccuracies.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »
Ph.D. on ET?  Remind me not get into an internet argument with you on weather stuff.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 10:13:21 AM »
When you can't survive without ET (which is not provided by the sensors but computed inside the console/envoy by Davis specific algorithms) you can take an envoy8x that can handle multiple ISS etc....

Just for the record, 8X is officially discontinued by Davis now. There's still stock in the supply chain AFAIK, including at Davis, but the 8X no longer appears on the main PR70 price-list, just in the Discontinued Products section at the end.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Weerstation Heinenoord

• Weerstation Heinenoord
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 06:18:42 AM »
Nov '19 Update on Envoy 8X availability: still or again on Davis website, see https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/envoy8x/
No word about being discontinued.