Author Topic: Problem with my records in WL  (Read 19148 times)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
Problem with my records in WL
« on: September 07, 2017, 05:41:21 PM »
So I just noticed that when I click to browse my records all I get is the date and time and everything else to the right is blank. Has anyone else ever had this problem? What do I do? Thanks!
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Problem with my records in WL
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
So I just noticed that when I click to browse my records all I get is the date and time and everything else to the right is blank. Has anyone else ever had this problem? What do I do? Thanks!
Can't recall this one. Might need a re-install of WL. How far does the lack of info go back? Now that I think about it, is your time/date correct on WL and your computer?

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
Funny timing, as I just had this happen to me last week for the first time in over 11 years of WeatherLink use!  The issue appeared to be related to the weather computer (a netbook) freezing.  I unplugged the USB datalogger cable before doing a cold restart of the netbook, at which moment the netbook went to a blue screen.  After I got the netbook running again, I had the same issue you described with WL only showing the date/time of obs with no data.

The station this happened to is almost brand new, so I deleted the August .wlk file (the only .wlk file I had at the time) and then tried downloading the datalogger, as at the archive interval I use (30 minutes) the datalogger wasn't nearly full from the time I installed the station on 8/6.  Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue. 

What *did* fix the issue was downloading the datalogger onto WL on a different computer.  I then transferred the .wlk file from the other computer to the netbook and the data appeared in WL on the netbook as normal.  I subsequently downloaded the datalogger to WL  on the netbook some hours later to confirm that the problem was indeed fixed, and it worked.

I still have no idea what actually caused the issue, but at least it can be fixed.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
Can't recall this one. Might need a re-install of WL. How far does the lack of info go back? Now that I think about it, is your time/date correct on WL and your computer?

If I re-install WL will all my records be saved? The lack of records goes all the way back to when I started, and then it says there is a problem with weatherlink. Yes, time/date is all correct.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
FYI...I did find this thread:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29902.0

Can't speak from experience on the issue though and of course should you ever be instructed to delete files, I'd make sure you saved off copies first.
Bill

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »

If I re-install WL will all my records be saved? The lack of records goes all the way back to when I started, and then it says there is a problem with weatherlink. Yes, time/date is all correct.
Wow, before you do a re-install, have smarter people than me chime in here...Maybe a call to Davis support is in store, only problem is who knows if whom you reach is actually competent to fix the problem correctly. :roll:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 09:10:57 PM »
First thing:  Look on your computer at all of the .wlk file names.  If there is a "strange" .wlk file name, then (after stopping WeatherLink) delete that file (feel free to save it somewhere). Restart WeatherLink to see if the problem has been fixed. [Strange would be having the YYYY-MM.wlk have a year or month in the future, or before you had the station, or ....]

Next, if any of the .wlk files have strange sizes, stop Weatherlink, delete them, and restart WeatherLink. [Strange would be REALLY small (other than the most current one), or REALLY big in comparison to the other ones.  They will be of varying sizes, of course]

If still not fixed, delete the latest .wlk file (stop, delete, restart). [Currently, 2017-09.wlk]

If still not fixed, delete the files "DataSets.dat"  & "DataLists.dat" (stop, delete, restart). [WeatherLink will re-create them on restart]

If still not fixed, you'll probably lose all of your archived data, but create a new station and see if that works going forward.

If not, UNINSTALL and then reinstall WeatherLink.

Let us know which of these steps worked, please.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:41:19 PM by dalecoy »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:19 AM »

If still not fixed, delete the files "DataSets.dat"  & "DataLists.dat" (stop, delete, restart). [WeatherLink will re-create them on restart]

This is very likely all you need. Do this before trying anything else.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »

This is very likely all you need. Do this before trying anything else.

Thanks.  Was the rest of the list that I posted "reasonable"?

And it will be interesting to get feedback from WxLover16.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
Thanks.  Was the rest of the list that I posted "reasonable"?

Totally reasonable for troubleshooting issues with WL data files in general. But the datalists/datasets cause is the only one I've ever come across in practice that causes the very specific symptom of being able to see the datetime of each record, but not the rest of the data in the same record/line. That's not to say that other causes might be possible of course.

Certainly I'd agree with putting reinstalling WL at the bottom of the list - it rarely seems to do much good in established installations.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »
....the datalists/datasets cause is the only one I've ever come across in practice that causes the very specific symptom of being able to see the datetime of each record, but not the rest of the data in the same record/line. That's not to say that other causes might be possible of course.

Thanks for that very valuable observation. 

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
I have to say, everything suggested with deleting files and such, it's all over my head. I went into weatherlink and searched for files suggested by you all to delete and came up with nothing. Obviously, I am not a computer guru in the least.  ](*,)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
I have to say, everything suggested with deleting files and such, it's all over my head. I went into weatherlink and searched for files suggested by you all to delete and came up with nothing. Obviously, I am not a computer guru in the least.  ](*,)

Oh!  Sorry.

1.  What version of Microsoft Windows are you using?  [Assuming you're using a PC]
2.  This sounds like a stupid question, but: you said "went into weatherlink and searched for files". 
A.  Please describe, step by step in detail, how you "went into weatherlink".
B.  Please describe, step by step in detail, how you "searched for files".

There's no reason you need to be a computer guru to get help here.  We just need to know that our attempted explanations were not sufficiently detailed, and that we made wrong assumptions.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »

Oh!  Sorry.

1.  What version of Microsoft Windows are you using?  [Assuming you're using a PC]
2.  This sounds like a stupid question, but: you said "went into weatherlink and searched for files". 
A.  Please describe, step by step in detail, how you "went into weatherlink".
B.  Please describe, step by step in detail, how you "searched for files".

There's no reason you need to be a computer guru to get help here.  We just need to know that our attempted explanations were not sufficiently detailed, and that we made wrong assumptions.

I have Microsoft Windows version 10. Honestly I really don't know what I'm doing so I opened weatherlink, went to files and played around a little with import file stuff. I really had/have no clue where to start wrt deleting files for it to work correctly again. Also, anytime I try to access the rain data it gives me the message: "Weatherlink has stoppped working. A problem cause the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". Well, they didn't notify me so I'm at a loss of what to do.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
The only thing I really care about wrt weatherlink is being able to see my weather data in the station data area that updates every 5 minutes and currently that is all absent save for time and date, and who needs to view that without weather data!

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »
Johnd said:

:Certainly I'd agree with putting reinstalling WL at the bottom of the list - it rarely seems to do much good in established installations."

That was actually my first thought of what to do, but perhaps I shouldn't try that before I do the "technical" file stuff. My biggest fear is losing some or god forbid all of my data.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »
I have Microsoft Windows version 10.

OK.  Stick with us.  It will be slow, but we'll get there.

Question: on your Windows desktop, is there an icon labeled "This PC"?

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »
I have Microsoft Windows version 10.

OK.  Stick with us.  It will be slow, but we'll get there.

Question: on your Windows desktop, is there an icon labeled "This PC"?

Yes, and I just clicked it. We need a live PBP on here!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »
OK, after clicking on "This PC", then double-click on the drive labeled C:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:45:48 AM by dalecoy »

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »
OK, after clicking on "This PC", then double-click on the drive labeled C:

[Other folks - if someone can pick up this set of instructions, it would be helpful, because I'm hampered by the fact that my WeatherLink software runs on a Windows XP PC.  So, I don't have an example W10 system to look at]

Otherwise, I'll struggle along.

Ok, then I clicked on weatherlink...

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 09:38:03 PM »
After you clicked on WeatherLink:

Click on the folder that is the "name of your weather station".  (Hoping that you named it)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »
Done.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
Just a suggestion, why don't you guys use the free version of Join Me webinar. Much easier to see a screen and guide.

https://www.join.me/solutions/free-webinar-software

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
I see DataLists.dat and Datasets.dat

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
Right-click on the file DataLists.dat, and select Delete, and confirm deletion
Right-click on the file DataSets.dat, and select Delete, and confirm deletion.
[If Windows says those files are locked, you will have to go STOP WeatherLink, and then go through this again]

Now, go start WeatherLink software, and see if that fixed the problem.